Mid lvl 50's question

So, I was doing the 4.2 7 day trial and leveling my lvl 54 Shadow Priest up. I had gotten to the point where I felt comfortable with a rotation down where I took very little damage and my mana would last quite awhile. I had gotten a few quests for BRD so a friend and I joined the dungeon finder.

When we zoned in I saw more quests and as I was collecting them up the tank with no healer present (my friend) decided to start the instance. It was a wipe which resulted in my friend and him for the duration of the run arguing with each other. As we went through the run the main problem for me was stuff was dying way to fast to even try my rotation. I tried my best but trash would die in less than 5 seconds and I would say bosses 30-45 seconds as the other two dpsers was a Hunter and a Druid. Obviously, bosses went a lot better rotation wise but trash I was just spamming anything. About half way through the run the tank even openly mocked my dps in party chat.

My question is what kind of rotation should have I used at that lvl?

Oh and as for the tank he stopped tanking and went off to watch youtube so the druid switched to bear form and we 4 manned it for awhile and then he was kicked. We then finished the instance with further deaths.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there dying to quickly just pop a shadow word pain on all the targets all the while casting mind flay, only use your main rotation on bosses at that level - isnt worth it otherwise.

edit: bold

I just put up VT on all the targets and then MB/MF and snipe targets at <25% with SW: Death. You're damage on trash won't be great but should be at least passable. WTB mind sear and mind spike at lower levels.

VT all your targets then go straight to MF. Even at level 85 sometimes casting VT/DP/SWP takes too much time. and of course always use MB on CD. Bosses your dps should be much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    If what you say is literally true and trash mobs are being taken out in less than 5-10 seconds, I'm not even sure I'd bother with VT but your mileage may vary significantly with that. SWP might be a better choice. DP will be a waste of mana. Your DPS in that case will look like a hot mess but it's not going to be all that much better on a 5-second mob with VT. For the most part, you only need your full priority system on bosses.

Note for Collins: If casting VT/DP/SWP takes too long at 85, then you should be using Mind Spike. Don't use dots on mobs that won't last the length of the dot. There is a use for Mind Spike and Skippy's post demonstrates clearly what that use is even though he doesn't have it yet. When ramping up dots takes too long, that's precisely when Mind Spike is your friend and why the spell was created for us.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2011-08-09 at 03:48 PM.