Updating BIOS. Necessary?

Just curious if it is really necessary to update your BIOS? Reformated my comp the other day, And installed all the Mobo drivers from the CD (P8P67-M) Just not sure if i should update the BIOS or not

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think it's only required when it fixes something important that you may of been having problems with. adds new features, improves system performance or fixes stability issues.

As the guy above said, usually BIOS updates add support and offer stability on devices they have had reports of problems with and they have fixed, They also may be required to fully utilise a new piece of hardware..

Basically though, following the old "If it aint broke, don't fix it" rule of thumb applies here... If your having a specific problem and an update fixes it go ahead, otherwise you can safely ignore them.. the BIOS rarely represents a vulnerability to your system... bugs, while they do happen, are typically infrequent and of low impact.

Unless your having problems its not needed. The saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." applys to this

Edit: Got beaten to posting it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Unless your having problems its not needed. The saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." applys to this
    Word!

If you're installing a new CPU, then I'd recommend a BIOS upgrade. But other than that, unless you have issues to fix, don't mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post

Edit: Got beaten to posting it!
    Exactly this...

Should never update firmware unless it's necessary due to some problem. If you have a strong suspicion it'll help, sure.. otherwise.. dont