Poll: 6870 or GTX 560

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    A double Sapphire HD6870 is insane.
    it doesn't cost a thing but blows up every game you throw at it.

While a 6870 is better then a regular 560 GTX, the Ti version is better then the 6870.

http://www.hwcompare.com/11005/geforce-gtx-560-vs-radeon-hd-6870/
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2011-08-09 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post
    Ok pricks who doubt me. Why then when I got a 5860 when I built my current rig I got artifacting on two seperate Radeon 5860 with my intel chipset. Switched to my old nvidia 275 GTX and it works fine?
    Possibly because you used a Radeon HD 5860.
    The Radeon HD5870 and 5850 are both more powerful than the 275 GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Except it isn't comparable at all. The OP asks for GTX560, and you link a benchmark with the GTX560 Ti. The GTX 560 isn't even in the list.
    Thanks, Kid. You make a great point, that the basic benchmark data it presents on the HD 6870 has no relevance to this discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok pricks who doubt me. Why then when I got a 5860 when I built my current rig I got artifacting on two seperate Radeon 5860 with my intel chipset. Switched to my old nvidia 275 GTX and it works fine?
    because your PSU couldn't handle it.

or you missed doing a clean driver installation

or you got unlucky twice.

also there's no 5860

15+ Year Old Account
    First off, 5860 doesn't exist.
    Second: If you got artifacting on 2 Radeons you probably either were extremely unlucky with the ones you bought or option 2: you had an OC running that pulled the core speeds from the GTX275 to the Radeon.
    Third: PSU FUBAR.

Chipset has absolutely 0 matters of importance in this reference of yours.

Edit: DAMN YOU WRIES!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shuckie Junkins69 View Post
    Thanks, Kid. You make a great point, that the basic benchmark data it presents on the HD 6870 has no relevance to this discussion.
    Indeed it does not. Because there is no point of reference for the GTX560.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The answer is no, the rankings on that chart are incorrect, no matter how much you want it to be correct.
    I hardly said it was the most accurate. The problem lies in how they gather the data, we've spoke on this numerous times in other threads, so I don't know why you're getting upset about it. My point is that you can't go off and say 460 beats the 590 when the site clearly labels the 460 as the Winfast version and ONE sample, therefore the entire site is inaccurate and should be ignored. There's some obvious flaws in the design but it should give you at least an idea of how your card should perform, but not necessarily in 'comparison'.

Just like we advise tons of people a day with their pos AMD dual cores that they need to change their cpu rather than upgrading from a 460ti to a 560ti to get ultra everything in WoW there are plenty of people that assume that their falling behind in GPU processing rather than what their CPU can actually handle when they see their fps drop. You have the testing be consumer driven and you get shoddy results in benchmarking.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

You ever stop to think it could be a driver related issue or a mobo related issue or or PSU issue or hell even faulty GPU's from the manufacturer?

What you said a few comments above is completely false. There have been extensive tests to prove that you are wrong.

I had GTX on AMD and ATI(Radeon) on Intel

Right now I'm running an i7 2600k with 2 HD 6950's.
    My GF's machine that I build has a Phenom 6 1100t with a GTX 560ti

Both machines run fine.
    Last edited by Trapt; 2011-08-09 at 09:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    I hardly said it was the most accurate. The problem lies in how they gather the data, we've spoke on this numerous times in other threads, so I don't know why you're getting upset about it. My point is that you can't go off and say 460 beats the 590 when the site clearly labels the 460 as the Winfast version and ONE sample, therefore the entire site is inaccurate and should be ignored. There's some obvious flaws in the design but it should give you at least an idea of how your card should perform, but not necessarily in 'comparison'.

Just like we advise tons of people a day with their pos AMD dual cores that they need to change their cpu rather than upgrading from a 460ti to a 560ti to get ultra everything in WoW there are plenty of people that assume that their falling behind in GPU processing rather than what their CPU can actually handle when they see their fps drop. You have the testing be consumer driven and you get shoddy results in benchmarking.
    Hence why the site should not be used, therefor it being linked is stupid.

Best is to read different professional hardware reviews.

The "obvious flaws" are so great it makes the site irrelevant.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Hence why the site should not be used, therefor it being linked is stupid.

Best is to read different professional hardware reviews.

The "obvious flaws" are so great it makes the site irrelevant.
    Glad we agree.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

If you make sure to get the TI version, it will be good to compare , so make sure you look for GTX 560 TI. I am nto sure which is really better, it might depend on brand name and test to see which one you might want to go with more, I would say nvidia just because I see more game developers use them more when it comes to testing, so there are usually better results right at release for new titles.
    Last edited by Biggiej; 2011-08-09 at 09:52 PM.

lol yea that stupid passmark site keeps coming up... the benchmarks suck with at least +/- 50% margin for error (probably more..), but people constantly link it because it's the first 3 results in google >_>

If you want good benchmarks try these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ndex,2674.html
    Good average overall performance evaluation on high settings in actual games. Also compares some crossfire/sli/overclock setups.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188
    Much more in depth benchmarks looking at individual games and different settings.
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-08-09 at 11:26 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hey guys thanks a lot for your opinions. I've seen a lot of people talking about GTX 560 and GTX 560ti. I mean just the 560, not the ti version

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to make this bottom line.
    You will get better performance with the 6870.
    You will get better driver support with the 560. (Though not by much, Nvidia's drivers have been pissing me off lately.)

Bottom line, get the 6870. Don't listen to people. Look at my post count, look at Tetris', and look at the bench marks. All are redundant in saying the 6870 will dwarf the 560 in performance. If you continue to go with the 560, invest in the ti, or drop to a 550. (Which is better price -> performance). Or consider going to a 460.

Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    Hey guys thanks a lot for your opinions. I've seen a lot of people talking about GTX 560 and GTX 560ti. I mean just the 560, not the ti version
    The 6870 is slightly better than the non-Ti 560. The price is almost always lower on the 6870 as well (in my country at least).
    Opinion: Get the HD6870.

Deleted
    The 6870 is cheaper (at least in the uk) and offers better performance then the 560, not by much but enough to make it a very nice bang per buck card.

If you are going with the 560, again go with the TI cough up the extra money, because it really is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I'm going to make this bottom line.
    You will get better performance with the 6870.
    You will get better driver support with the 560. (Though not by much, Nvidia's drivers have been pissing me off lately.)

Bottom line, get the 6870. Don't listen to people. Look at my post count, look at Tetris', and look at the bench marks. All are redundant in saying the 6870 will dwarf the 560 in performance. If you continue to go with the 560, invest in the ti, or drop to a 550. (Which is better price -> performance). Or consider going to a 460.
    I beg to differ on the driver support for the 6870. I've only had one set of drivers freak out on me since I got the card in October 2010, and it was because I failed at doing a clean install. Drivers for the new Radeons have been spot-on.

Also, +1 for 6870 > GTX 560 non-Ti. It's a damn good price right now and you cannot go wrong with it.

So 6870 it is! thanks guys, for your opinions and knowledge

Deleted
    Enjoy your 6870 And i am glad you did not go for the non Ti 560 as it is utter garbage for the price point ^^