Black screen o' doom

Alright, to start with.. I'm not that computer savy, even if I wanna be. I just got (last week), a brand new PC built by Digital Storm. It's customized. However, after 3 days of play, I decided to log on WoW. I started playing in windows mode, and got a black screen. It came back after less than 2 seconds and said something like, 'Kernal video drivers version something rather stopped responding and recovered'. It wasn't doing it in fullscreen. Now it is. I'm really at a complete loss here. It doesn't do it often enough to test it on other games. However, I would THINK it would have done it on my other games, since their a lot heavier graphics wise. (Dead space, APB).

I have an Nvidea GeForce GTX580. I really don't think the cards getting 'hot', since It's literally done it after just turning on the PC. I also have a fan sitting at my feet, straight into the PC.

I heard I may need Directx 11, I have it. Comes with windows 7. /sigh...

If anyone can help, point me in the right direction or ANYTHING it would be helpful. I seriously don't wanna drive across cali, with no air conditioning to get it fixed.

<3 Darthne!

Try updating drivers, first of all. Do a complete clean driver install (download Driversweep, get rid of all dem old drivers, reboot, get new ones. (Use Nvidia website)

Secondly, what is your actual temperature GPU-Z FTW! That could also be a reason.

Lastly, is it overclocked? If so try taking it down to stock speeds.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

The drivers are up to date. I've checked that.

I got GPU-Z, and the only temp thing I saw was my GPU, it's at 49C

It is overclocked, but I've no idea how to turn that down at all. It was supposed to be overclocked when I got it.

<3 Darthne!

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The video card probably isn't getting enough voltage. My card does the same when I overclock and it can't handle the frequency at the voltage its getting. Turn down the OC or up the voltage with MSI Afterburner.

Things like these is why I don't trust others to do the overclock, even if they charge, they can't really guarantee any overclock since it's more about the specific chip/card you get anyways.
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-08-10 at 02:32 AM.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard