Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I've slept on it and done a little more research and I think I might go with the 600T (white for extra cooling and fan space). ATM it's down to 932 cs 600T(white). Also it seems like there is a alot of debate on the subject of the PSU. I intend to overclock my CPU and possibly the GPU with a high probability of SLIing 2 Frozr 560 Ti's or the 600 series coming out next year (?). I know some people say that I should go with something with more wattage for that, but does the fact that it is a Corsair (a pretty reliable high end PSU with very little energy lost to heat) make it equivalent to a 850 or 1000 of a lesser brand? Thanks

Proud Member of Respected and Despised (SWTOR USA PST Empire).
    Dark Days are Coming....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavus View Post

EDIT: On another note, what about the PSU choice? Is the AX worth the extra $20 over the HX?
    HX has MB 20(24) and 8 pin connectors permanent, rest of the cables are modular, AX is fully modular and gold rated. So the difference between the two isn't huge and you can't go wrong with choosing either one. Nothing wrong with saving a little by going HX it's plenty efficient enough though fully modular ax is real nice when doing the cabling but you only need to touch the cables rarely anyway after that first time.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of PSUs, how does Seasonic compare to corsair in terms of value and quality?

Dark Days are Coming....

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    In terms of PSUs, how does Seasonic compare to corsair in terms of value and quality?
    Seasonic ARE THE BEST.......... Seasonic sets the standart for psu`s. thats allso why they normaly cost more then others.

you can`t get any better psu`s then Seasonic
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if this is correct, but aren't the Corsair PSUs rebranded Seasonics? Also why are you using a Chieftec if Seasonic's are so good?

Dark Days are Coming....

I'm not sure if this is correct, but aren't the Corsair PSUs rebranded Seasonics? Also why are you using a Chieftec if Seasonic's are so good?
    Some of them are manufactured by Seasonic and others by Channel Well from what I understand. (Could be wrong)
    And pansert may have snagged that PSU at a really low price or he couldn't get a hold of one for some reason. (Regional thing perhaps? )
    New and shiny compppppp!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    Some of them are manufactured by Seasonic and others by Channel Well from what I understand. (Could be wrong)
    You are correct sir. Seasonic and CWT are like 50/50 makers of Corsair PSUs. The only one made by someone else is the AX1200 which is made by Flextronics
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I would personally prefer the AX, as it is fully modular and gold standard. (If I am not mistaken, also a Seasonic rebrand?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I would personally prefer the AX, as it is fully modular and gold standard. (If I am not mistaken, also a Seasonic rebrand?)
    All of em but the 1200, yes.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

One thing to remember about Corsair's higher-end PSUs: The advertised 80+ rating is actually lower than what it really is. The 80+ Silver HX line of PSUs are actually Gold and the 80+ AX line of PSUs are more than likely Platinum (the highest efficiency you can get). Corsair does this to give real-world usage ratings, as Plug Load (the guys who do the 80+ Certifications) test in an almost perfect environment, while Corsair does their testing in a more real-world environment. So really, you are getting a superior product with either PSU.

As far as actual differences go, as someone mentioned, the 20/24-pin ATX connector and the 8-pin CPU connector are hardwired into the HX line, the rest is modular. The AX line is fully modular, which is great if you plan on using short cables with some sort of cable extender (such as all white, or red). Also, 750W will be plenty for overclocking a CPU and doing SLI with a couple GTX 560 Ti cards and will more than likely last you through your next upgrade/build. So, if you don't plan on using short cables with extenders (which adds to the cost), the HX750 will be plenty good.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    thats because i got this one for 130 euros, where it normaly cost 200 euros.
    and here in denmark the biggest Sesonic we can get is the Sea Sonic X-560 and it cost 200 euros.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright guy's I think I'm settled on the AX for the PSU and the White 600T. I'm debating moving up to a 850 if I can find it for the right price. Also, I've decided to add a OEM copy of W7 to the build. Are the rumors about OEM copies not being able to transfer between builds true?

Dark Days are Coming....

10+ Year Old Account
    the official TOS states that you may only install and OEM on one motherboard ever, but microsoft doesn't enforce this, as long as you only have it on one computer at a time, they won't care

Quote Originally Posted by fableman View Post
    Considering his configuration and the amount it's worth, it would be extremely stupid to invest in a branded PSU over 750W. And don't spread false rumors about PSU requirements for GPU's OK? What people recommend is just of their ignorance. I'm using high quality 750W PSU with an 580GTX and 2600K clocked and there is no trouble at all. And yeah, also building PC's since 90s.
    Before telling people to stop spreading false information, you may first want to ask where they get their information from. I get mine from three of the best known reference sites on the web: Guru3D, Tom's Hardware and Bit-tech. My SLI info comes from Guru3D, who use a more realistic testbed system than the others (a hard OCed i7 with optical drive). Here's what they say:

Quote Originally Posted by Guru3D.com
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti in 2-way SLI

• A second card requires you to add another ~175 Watts. You need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking).
    OP is buying a 2500k, therefore he is overclocking.

Going back to the PSU wattage rating, do you not know that the watt rating on a PSU is not the same as the wattage it can deliver to your system? Anything over 85% efficiency is worth touting.

Your 750W PSU will provide 85%-88% under load, which is 637.5-660W. You'll certainly be able to run a single 580GTX off it (power draw 363W under full load, probably around 550W for the whole system), but using the figures Doylez provided it won't be able to safely run SLId 560s - the margins are just too close. Doylez hasn't listed the system spec used to generate the base load, which is a pain, but almost all testbed systems have a single HDD and no dedicated sound card. If you plan to have separate system and data drives (which I always do, so I can backup my system drive onto my data drive) or to fit a sound card then you would have to bump up your PSU requirements by a notch or two.

I agree, though, that going beyond 850W would be a waste unless the OP has SLId 600-series in his sights before his next full system upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two things: First, isn't the 85% rating an indication that it takes more wattage from the wall not that it has less total power? As in a 1000w psu doesn't run at 850 watts, it just draws 1250w from the wall. I might be wrong but thats how I've come to understand it. Second, isn't it more likely that a newer card will use less energy and generate more power?

Dark Days are Coming....

10+ Year Old Account
    Two things: First, isn't the 85% rating an indication that it takes more wattage from the wall not that it has less total power? As in a 1000w psu doesn't run at 850 watts, it just draws 1250w from the wall. I might be wrong but thats how I've come to understand it. Second, isn't it more likely that a newer card will use less energy and generate more power?
    thats what i though too, which explains why consumer level PSU's top at 1500 watts, with an 80 silver rating, that puts it close to around 1800 watts, which is the cap for an average outlet(US)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    <snip>
    Well you got at least one thing right.. A GTX 560 Ti will take 175W.

A PSU from any reputable dealer WILL supply your components with the wattage on the sticker.

A stock 2500k will use 95W, and a 2600k overclocked to 4.4GHz will use under 120 http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/21

A
    n extra HDD will bump up power comsumption by.. um.. less than 10 watts. Nothing that will require you to "bump up your PSU".

RAM and mobo will take less than 50W. Probably somewhere closer to 25W.

So the grand total for two GTX 560 Ti + Overclocked 2500k + 2 HDDs + RAM + Mobo = 550W being generous.

Obviously you don't want to buy a 550W PSU, but 650 will do you just fine.

---------- Post added 2011-08-14 at 06:58 PM ----------

isn't it more likely that a newer card will use less energy and generate more power?
    The current trend with graphics cards is to become more efficient, but also bigger. So while having more performance per watt, we're also upping the wattage to get huge performance increases. If you've noticed over the years, video cards are needing more and more power plugs from your PSU.

The reason you're probably mixed up about this, is because the current generation of cards is a "tock" cycle. They're basically more refined versions of the last generation, which is why they consume less power than the last generation. Undoubtedly, when we see the 6XX series which is a "tick" cycle, the GTX 680 will be taking more power than the GTX580.