Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Corsair seems to have fixed their issues. I'll stay silent on OCZ.

Kingston actually just branded some SATA III 6Gb/s SSDs with the coveted branding of "Hyper-X".... maybe you should look into one of those. They look pretty speedy!

Then of course you have the ever-great, Intel, Crucial, and Mushkin.

---------- Post added 2011-08-13 at 08:08 PM ----------

From what I read the OCing actual difference is honestly not that much, really comes down to features, like you said. I don't know if Z68 is really bragging rights though, hehe. Several Z68 motherboards are the same price as P67s.... you want bragging rights, go OC a 1366 CPU to something ridiculous, 5-6GHZ or wait till 2011 comes out and just buy one of those builds. > What was it, the i7-3870x or something? The new $1,000 CPU. :P
    My i7 920 (D0) is already clocked to 4,2GHz... getting a Corsair H100 soon to see if i can beef it up, but the H50 i got right now does not like it going beyond that.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    My i7 920 (D0) is already clocked to 4,2GHz... getting a Corsair H100 soon to see if i can beef it up, but the H50 i got right now does not like it going beyond that.
    I just watched TTL's massive 45 minute H100 review earlier today.... he got his i7-950 test-CPU to 4.4 GHZ, fairly stable, and it was keeping the CPU cooler than the NH-D14 and SilverArrow. He was visibly surprised and ended up giving it a Gold Award, not an award I've seen him doll out too much. Though he did show how the fans that came with the H100 are damned loud when going max speed. Only other flaw I could see with the H100 was the thickness of the 240mm rad is minimal, but it still did work pretty well. Might work for ya, let us know how it works out.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    I just watched TTL's massive 45 minute H100 review earlier today.... he got his i7-950 test-CPU to 4.4 GHZ, fairly stable, and it was keeping the CPU cooler than the NH-D14 and SilverArrow. He was visibly surprised and ended up giving it a Gold Award, not an award I've seen him doll out too much. Though he did show how the fans that came with the H100 are damned loud when going max speed. Only other flaw I could see with the H100 was the thickness of the 240mm rad is minimal, but it still did work pretty well. Might work for ya, let us know how it works out.
    I don't intend to use the basic corsair fans, blades are too big for proper airflow through the H100.
    After having done some research on the H50/70/80/100 line in general, i decided to go with Scythe Slip Stream 1900RPM fans, 110CFM and 37,5DBa and those in Push/Pull config, 4 pieces in my HAF932 case, these for some reason provide better cooling BARRING the higher CFM due to fan shape.

Loud? Yes.
    Awesome stuff? Hell yes.

Wearing headset during gaming? Fuck yes, Corsair HS-1 USB.

---------- Post added 2011-08-13 at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I had the board before Z68 was out. If After effects supported Quick Sync as it's meant to, it'd be absolutely brilliant for me. It doesn't unfortunately, so it's of no real use. Aside from that, no real need. I'll be replacing this one in a few days or weeks time, likely with another P67 version. Virtu is of no use to me with 3 580's. Essentially, Z68 is of no use to me at all, unless AE brings in quicksync. Even if it does, a 2600K alone is meaty enough for rendering at half realtime.
    Well there's very little that actually NEEDS 3-SLI GTX580s, yet you have it :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Yeah. The H100 fans are way too loud looking at videos. They sound pretty much louder than the 10 i've got in this rig when they're all on full. Push pull with quiet fans is usually enough, but doing it with performance ones is just awesome. It's like mage tears; You don't think you'll ever see them but when it happens, you just begin crying because it's such a beautiful thing.

I also haven't found anything that uses 3 580's, but no point not maxing it out. It's better than being stuck with Intels HD3000
    Mage Tears comment... i think i love you!

And i KNEW it, bragging rights! HAH! Now get a Z68 then and complete those rights! (What's the Memory brand you got though, along with timings and V)

My vertex LE bricked after a few months, can't rule out user error but not great, RMA was relatively painless and pretty fast though.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Mage Tears comment... i think i love you!

And i KNEW it, bragging rights! HAH! Now get a Z68 then and complete those rights! (What's the Memory brand you got though, along with timings and V)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Z
    68 Maximus IV motherboard: $360

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

P
    67 Maximus IV motherboard: $350

I implore you to tell me where the bragging rights are!!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Z
    68 Maximus IV motherboard: $360

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

P
    67 Maximus IV motherboard: $350

I implore you to tell me where the bragging rights are!!!
    Name and Price! Nothing more!

Asus Maximus IV Extreme
    ===OR===
    Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z

I mean c'mon, the latter sounds way cooler :P
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2011-08-14 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Wear leveling only works for the sectors of the SSD that are free. E.g. if 90% of the SSD, the same 90% - is always used and never altered, then the wear leveling is only effective across the last 10%. That last 10% will wear out significantly faster. That was the entire point of the post.
    I have read posts elsewhere that have suggested that the firmware on Intel drives will shuffle data around during idle periods to prevent data/cells from getting stale.

Another option is to over-provision. That is to use less of your drive for storage and more of it for wear leveling. (ie partition and format a 240GB drive as a one 200GB drive and leave 40GB empty with no partition) Intel recommends this if you want maximum life.

At any rate Intel specs their older drives to have enough endurance for 20GB/day for 5 years and I believe their newer G3 drives have even higher specs.