GTX 480 question, as well as GTX 590 or Radeon 6990.

My question about the GTX 480 I have is that mine has melted my comp 3 times, I clean it take care of it etc but the damn thing runs too hot. I just downloaded MSI after burner and was wondering if running my fan faster had any serious negative side effects, it fixed my heat issue completly for now though.
    also,
    I am planning on getting a new card soon and am trying to decide between the 590(I have always been a Nvidia fanboy but between the 480 problems i had and some bad drivers i'm starting to like them less) or the new Radeon i think its the 6990. The Radeon has a gig more DDR5 but i'm not sure and would like to have your opinions, thank you guys!

Sammy.

(This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I would stay away from Dual- GPU's ATM. Why not just Xfire/ SLI two high-end single GPU's for cheaper and more performance?

Check out the GTX 580!

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    the gtx 5xx I think consume a chunk less power than the 480, whose good performance I see often commented with "but runs so hot!", so you shouldn't have that problem with the new card.
    About running the fan quicker, the only downside except the noise I would see in the lifespan of the fan possibly being reduced if it's not laid out for such speeds, but I guess it should handleable (?) and thought of within the software.

By the way, you can get the Nvidia Performance tools to manually set your fan to 100% if needed (just google it).

PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    Oki from wat i know 480 had a lot of issues with heat since day one so its no wonder it tbaged you 3 times.
    Now the difference between the 590 and 6990 are as follow at base clock speeds the 590 runs a little faster then the 6990 but nothing noticeable the question is do you want to OC your GPU if that is so then go all out on a 6990 it runs faster then the 590 when OC and a lot more cooler. Also the extra 1 gb of memory makes the difference when loading environment and other background 2d and 3d textures.
    Woot i recommend is to go with a 6990 runs a lot cooler almost the same clock speeds on basic setup and you can OC'it easier and safer.

And the 6990 is cheaper then the 590 from wat I know.

Thank you guys! Would appreciate some more feedback on the 590s and 6990s
    i might xfire 2 6990s

Heya... If you were to Xfire those 6990's could u give me some of the Extra Cycles? PM Me if you are interested.

PCPartPicker Love it.

Whats that mean? and whats bit coin mining

PM me, forum rules on this subject I think

PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kekeoki View Post
    Thank you guys! Would appreciate some more feedback on the 590s and 6990s
    i might xfire 2 6990s
    Just out of interest what resolution do you play at/intend to play at ?

2560x1600
    /10char

15+ Year Old Account
    My question about the GTX 480 I have is that mine has melted my comp 3 times, I clean it take care of it etc but the damn thing runs too hot. I just downloaded MSI after burner and was wondering if running my fan faster had any serious negative side effects, it fixed my heat issue completly for now though.
    also,
    I am planning on getting a new card soon and am trying to decide between the 590(I have always been a Nvidia fanboy but between the 480 problems i had and some bad drivers i'm starting to like them less) or the new Radeon i think its the 6990. The Radeon has a gig more DDR5 but i'm not sure and would like to have your opinions, thank you guys!

Sammy.

The only negative downside of running the fan faster is the faster pileup of dust and lowering the life of that fan, that said however, it should last long enough even at higher RPM to outlast it's usefulness.

The differences between the GTX590 and HD6990 are minute.
    The HD6990 has superior performance but just by a little in any non-TWIMTBP game but is louder (this is also HIGHLY dependant upon your case).
    If you plan to OC your Graphics then the HD6990 is better untill some proper custom-built GTX590 is released (same can be said for the HD6990) because the GTX590s Power Circuitry is nothing but shoddy engineering.

However if you plan to multi-monitor game, the HD6990 is the undisputed king, unlike the GTX590 it doesn't have to hold back and can run full power, with the added GRAM, high res gaming is better, bad drivers however is now a myth, don't let anyone tell you A is better then B.

If you appreciate silence more and don't plan to OC at all, and prefer to keep nVidia the GTX590s will do their job just fine.

The HD6990 btw is not as loud as people claim it to be if you have a proper case, f.ex a HAF X or HAF932 from Cooler Master due to the airflow in it, makes it's cooling far more efficient.

Also my HD6990 at least can be clocked at the exact same frequencies as the HD6970 GPUs that are on there without switching to the AUSUM bios mode and no increase in fan speed etc.

Runs perfectly stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The only negative downside of running the fan faster is the faster pileup of dust and lowering the life of that fan, that said however, it should last long enough even at higher RPM to outlast it's usefulness.

The differences between the GTX590 and HD6990 are minute.
    The HD6990 has superior performance but just by a little in any non-TWIMTBP game but is louder (this is also HIGHLY dependant upon your case).
    If you plan to OC your Graphics then the HD6990 is better untill some proper custom-built GTX590 is released (same can be said for the HD6990) because the GTX590s Power Circuitry is nothing but shoddy engineering.

However if you plan to multi-monitor game, the HD6990 is the undisputed king, unlike the GTX590 it doesn't have to hold back and can run full power, with the added GRAM, high res gaming is better, bad drivers however is now a myth, don't let anyone tell you A is better then B.

If you appreciate silence more and don't plan to OC at all, and prefer to keep nVidia the GTX590s will do their job just fine.

The HD6990 btw is not as loud as people claim it to be if you have a proper case, f.ex a HAF X or HAF932 from Cooler Master due to the airflow in it, makes it's cooling far more efficient.

Also my HD6990 at least can be clocked at the exact same frequencies as the HD6970 GPUs that are on there without switching to the AUSUM bios mode and no increase in fan speed etc.

Runs perfectly stable.
    Your the best dude, I think ill be going for the radeons then, however what is a "non-TWIMTBP" game? I also have a antec case with 2 fans in it and a bunch of air filters and stuff

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Congelatore View Post
    Get the 570 or the 580. The problems you experienced with the 480 are well documented. That card still outperforms most hew Radeon cards simply because it's a beast. It runs extremely hot though and causes the issues you are talking about.

Do not jump on the ATI band wagon because of the 480. ATI still does not know how to write drivers. Stick to nVidia and get an EVGA model. They are the best for nVidia and they have the best drivers. Download drivers directly from EVGA and you will never see the problems that people are having with the nVidia released ones.

Personally, I SLI the 570 and it is an absolute dream.
    This is exactly what i meant in my post, avoid advice like this like the plague.

---------- Post added 2011-08-12 at 03:56 PM ----------

Your the best dude, I think ill be going for the radeons then, however what is a "non-TWIMTBP" game? I also have a antec case with 2 fans in it and a bunch of air filters and stuff
    Got a case model for me so i can see what you got?

TWIMTBP is a programme started by nVidia for game developers, it basically optimizes the game's engine to take max potential out of nVidia architecture, and will as such have superior performance on nVidia then AMD, to an extent that even if AMD cards were unquestionably stronger anywhere else, the nVidia card can rack up a win.

The way its ment to be played, you know the Nvidia phrase that you sometimes see when you launch a game. Those games are optimized for Nvidia cards.

I don't remember the model number and cant find it on the case, ill look more

Quote Originally Posted by Congelatore View Post
    Get the 570 or the 580. The problems you experienced with the 480 are well documented. That card still outperforms most hew Radeon cards simply because it's a beast. It runs extremely hot though and causes the issues you are talking about.

Do not jump on the ATI band wagon because of the 480. ATI still does not know how to write drivers. Stick to nVidia and get an EVGA model. They are the best for nVidia and they have the best drivers. Download drivers directly from EVGA and you will never see the problems that people are having with the nVidia released ones.

Personally, I SLI the 570 and it is an absolute dream.
    AMD drivers have been fine for quite some time already. Nvidia drivers have had their share of problems lately too. Only thing best about EVGA is their warranty, and that's about it. :|

i have a 480 gtx myself
    its not that good
    its gets hot all the time even on low games...
    as soon as cards are cheaper like 200 i will buy 590

15+ Year Old Account
    The 470 and the 480 draw ALLOT of power and creates ALLOT of heat.

An adition, the card is extremely shy on turning the fan up. Even when you close in on 100 degrees.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Benifts of the GTX 590
    -low noise
    -better cooling design
    -smaller size

disadvantages of the GTX 590
    -due to design voltage is very sensitive and overclocking or increasing voltage can damage card.
    -less overclocking potential,
    -underclocked on purchase to keep running cool and quite
    -voltage locked so overclocking is very limitied.

i own a GTX 590, and i dont regret it. at the time of purchase i was ignorant of the important things, i was like WOOO gtx 590 is a bigger number then the 580 i must buy it. But i learnt that this card wasnt designed for power, even if it was advertised to be the most powerfull, it was designed to run cool quite, and deliver good performance, which it does.

the 6990 however, since i don't own one, i cant be sure, is more powerful but from what i have heard it is hotter and louder and longer, to some people sound and temps and size isnt an issue, and it wasn't for me. but im an nvidia fan boy and the 590 can do the same things the 6990 can, the 590 can run 3 screens and run any game at highest settings without any problem. if you care about benching and having a huge e-peen then the 6990 will give you that with higher fps in games, but the difference is not noticeable to the naked eye.

people saying that the gtx 590 cant run high resolutions and or is inferior in doing so. watch the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pOnI4jRQsY

OP: the choice is yours, im an Nvidia fan boy because there marketing speaks to me and iv always owned Nvidia since the first computer i built and blew up when i was 12 years old. both the 6990 and 590 do the job's perfectly however their price atm isnt worth it, if i could go back and spend my 875 dollers on a different purchase, i would buy 2 gtx 580's as they are truly beasts.