Thread: Multi-dotting

Deleted

Multi-dotting

I just want to hear how you are multi-dotting, your methods, addons or anything. Just how YOU do it.
    Im trying to find an addon to help me. Currently im using buttontimer to keep track of my dots and cd's. I dont like fortex very much to be honorest, it Might be better for multi-dotting, but i dont really like the look of it. I Will post my ui when i get back home. Im pretty new to affliction so im not the best when it comes to multi-dotting. i have glyph to SS.

Okay, so here is how i do it:
    Opening with a SB, then putting dots on my main target (haunt,UA,corruption,coe,cod) - sometimes i use agony instead of doom.
    Then i SS to my second target and try to get a few SE on the target and trying to keep SE on both targets.
    - I must say though, im not keeping an 100% uptime for the moment, but im working on it.

If you have any suggestions or tips for me to help me increase my dps it would be awesome

Otherwise post how you do it, and what kind of addons you use to help youself multi-dotting.
    Last edited by mmoc27b1ad6109; 2011-08-14 at 09:40 AM.

i find focus target macro's help a lot in 2 target fights coupled with a good tidy plates set-up

The optimal opener actually goes: SB->Haunt->CoD->UA->Corr

I just use a focus target to mutildot really, example on shannox where we kill rageface first, I SS to shannox when it's up. Just be careful that you dont Cod then SS, cause in my example, I would CoD shannox instead of rageface, so use it wisely since you want CoD on your main target.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use to play a warlock and Forte Xorsist solved most of my multi dotting difficulties (as far as tracking went anyways), hope that helps =/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagform View Post
    I use to play a warlock and Forte Xorsist solved most of my multi dotting difficulties (as far as tracking went anyways), hope that helps =/
    ForteX Might be good, i just never Got very deep into it, with basic settings. But im happy with my ui for the moment.

I Will try the focus target, and maybe maybe make some macros (if u have some helpfull macros please post Them and explained their use) thanks

The optimal opener actually goes: SB->Haunt->CoD->UA->Corr
    If you plan on soul swapping at all that won't work since you'll just move Bane of Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    If you plan on soul swapping at all that won't work since you'll just move Bane of Doom.
    Yes, I described that just below that sentence

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a focus;alt modifier with the following spells: Shadow bolt, Corruption, UA, and BoA.

I start my rotation on the main dps target as usual: SB>Haunt>DS>BoD>Corr>UA

I then use my focus;alt modifier and cast: UA>Corr>BoA>Shadow bolt (making sure I get all my dots applied while under DS)

After that, I do all I can to keep both targets at max x3 shadow debuff by casting all Shadow bolts on the focus target and casting Haunt on my main dps target immediately (or as close as possible) when it's ready to make sure the stacks stay in place. I also cast a Nightfall proc on the main target every so often as not to loose the shadow and flame debuff.

It's not always perfect, especially on Shannox since a dog sometimes gets in a trap and you loose your stacks, but it's a terrific challenge to keep the targets as dotted and debuffed to the maximum potential.

Our last WoL

I didn't play perfectly (forgot DG of all things) but that's always the challenge!

To keep track of the dots, I use Powerauras for my main target, and keep my peripheral vision on dotimers for the focus target. I don't even bother with SSwap, all it does is give the illusion of efficiency. Given the actual GCD's used, slight big of lag in re-transplanting, and long cooldown, it saves 0 time.
    Last edited by Ozteck; 2011-08-14 at 07:38 PM. Reason: There is no travel time in SSwap, but a brief moment for the dots to show up on the new target.

Deleted
    Nice guide i maybe sounds like an idiot now? But the alt modifier allows you to Press alt which Then Will target your focus?
    And how did you set up/made the modifier?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar View Post
    Nice guide i maybe sounds like an idiot now? But the alt modifier allows you to Press alt which Then Will target your focus?
    And how did you set up/made the modifier?
    Yes, basically. The macro that I use is as follows:

/cast [mod:alt, target=focus] Corruption; Corruption

Regularly pressing your-corruption-button will put a corruption on your main target. Holding alt-same button will put a corruption on your focus target. You'll never have to worry about physically switching targets again until one of your targets is dead.

Deleted
    nice! im definitly gonna try that out!

Ok this is what I do. I use a focus macro that is bound to my mouse scroll back. The macro could probably be improved but I still manage pretty decent dps.

/castsequence [target=focus] reset=15 Corruption, Unstable Affliction, Bane of Agony

I use Fortexorcist so it will show dots on my main target and any other targets...i believe the setting is called group by unit or something. And whenever I see that my focus target's dots are about to run out I just scroll back a few times and I got dots out. Hope that helps
    Last edited by bitterlock; 2011-08-16 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozteck View Post
    I use a focus;alt modifier with the following spells: Shadow bolt, Corruption, UA, and BoA.

I start my rotation on the main dps target as usual: SB>Haunt>DS>BoD>Corr>UA

I then use my focus;alt modifier and cast: UA>Corr>BoA>Shadow bolt (making sure I get all my dots applied while under DS)

After that, I do all I can to keep both targets at max x3 shadow debuff by casting all Shadow bolts on the focus target and casting Haunt on my main dps target immediately (or as close as possible) when it's ready to make sure the stacks stay in place. I also cast a Nightfall proc on the main target every so often as not to loose the shadow and flame debuff.

It's not always perfect, especially on Shannox since a dog sometimes gets in a trap and you loose your stacks, but it's a terrific challenge to keep the targets as dotted and debuffed to the maximum potential.

Our last WoL

I didn't play perfectly (forgot DG of all things) but that's always the challenge!

To keep track of the dots, I use Powerauras for my main target, and keep my peripheral vision on dotimers for the focus target. I don't even bother with SSwap, all it does is give the illusion of efficiency. Given the actual GCD's used, slight big of lag in re-transplanting, and long cooldown, it saves 0 time.
    Pretty much exactly what I do, cept on Rhyolith, where I change my [@focus] macros of Immolate, BoA and Corruption to [@mouseover] so I can DoT both legs while killing the sparks, or directing my felguard to the little guys (I go Demo for Rhyolith, am normally Aff for most other fights)

If I am in Demo spec, and there are only 2 targets - i found that it's a dps lost to multi-dot (immo, corruption and bane) when i was not in meta.

but i always put immolation on all targets to get molten core to proc for cheap incinerate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been thinking about my own strat quite a bit, I was irritated with myself that I wasn't incorporating SSwap, and came up with a better solution for more dps on normal mode since I felt comfortable/bored keeping x3 shadow embrace on two targets.

Changes: I put BoD on my focus target (Shannonx) and keep up BoA on the first dog...which ever one range is supposed to kill first.

My new Sswap macro for the fight:

/cast soulswap
    /target (other dog)
    /cast soulswap

Now I keep x3 shadow embrace on the first dog and Shannox, with some extra Sswap juice on the 2nd dog. I just use swap on cool down and not worry about anything above that. If I were try try and keep all 3 targets fully dotted, you're sure to lose shadow embrace on all targets.

I'm sure this isn't "News @ 11" for almost everyone, and sadly for me just in time for our guild to start heroics.

God this thread makes me want to play my lock again i hav orgotten how intense it can be

Deleted
    What I do is:
    Tidy Plates (showing only my debuffs) + mouseover every spell.
    I have Forte Exorcist in case my targets aren't visible on my screen but I don't like it because I don't like timers in bar shape, I prefer icon shape.
    The only spell I macro with modifier (and mouseover) is Bane of Doom/Bane of Agony, since BoD can only be in one target at a time.

The addon I found closest to what I want is Ellipsis:
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a.../ellipsis.aspx

I managed to make the timers as icons but at the time I tried it (months ago) I had .lua errors, maybe it is working now, I might try it again. It is similar to Forte.

I use dotimer, with a custom anchor for target and focus, so only non-target/focus targets show up in the 'all other dots' anchor.

I also don't use glyph of ss - but that is one of those personal choices, I much prefer the uptime of manually casting, and it allowing me to run doom on the boss.

I use tidyplates to show debuffs on mobs, but there is a slight limitation there - if you don't mouseover, target, or focus the unit in question, it will not show the debuff - which you will notice the first time you emp-soc and wonder where your corruptions are :P
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2011-08-19 at 12:04 AM.