Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

jus finished building, power on, nothing shows up

now can i assume i did something wrong with the video card since nothing is showing up?
    i have a asus GeForce GTX 560
    its sloted in, psu is connected to the gpu. there is a green light and a orange light lit up on the graphics card when i power the computer on. not sure if they r good or bad the manual that came with the card was pretty pathetic.

are you sure your PSU is enough for the GPU?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsanity View Post
    are you sure your PSU is enough for the GPU?
    was kinda thinking the same when i saw the post :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you please post all your hardware components, aswell as the model number of your Asus GTX 560,(which one of these is it http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...ies/GF_GTX_560)

Deleted
    That PSU seems a bit low to me... (I'm no expert though).

550w is plenty for that setup
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    ya id hope its good enough. i got that all from a combo deal off newegg and i trust them. its my first time building a computer so im pretty sure i did something wrong

Did you connect the monitor to it?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you go to best buy they will check your power supply for free. If thats enough power I would suggest trying to replug everything, first time i put my computer together had the same issue, wound up being a faulty power supply, then a faulty graphics card. If you have spare parts try switching them around.

That PSU seems a bit under what I would call a "safe" zone for your computer.

You have to remember that PSUs don't actually put out the EXACT wattage they are sold at, and the ones that come with cases are notoriously bad.

The last Nvidia card I had was able to go into a sort of "lower power" mode when only 1 of the connectors was plugged in. Try unhooking one of them and seeing if it comes on.

Also, make sure all the connections between your monitor and your computer are secure, including the one plugging directly into the back of your monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    What monitor do you have and what kind of cable/port are you using to connect?

Try spamming f8 for a while as you start up the machine. This will help if the problem is with the default resolution being too big for your monitor.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

A quick and easy test is to remove the motherboard battery when the machine is off and clear the CMOS by changing the jumper settings to the alternate mode for around 30 seconds and then place the battery back in the motherboard. After another 30 seconds the switch the CMOS jumper back to its original setting and boot your computer.

Basically this forces the motherboard to re-detect the hardware setup it is running with. Sometimes the motherboards will not be cleared to this state by the manufacturer due to various reasons.

Other things you can try is booting the machine with just the cpu and memory attached the machine and see if you get any beep code errors if you have a speaker attached to the motherboard. These can related back to with the motherboard manual and can give you an general direction of where your error could be coming from.

After that add each piece individually till you come across your error and then you can work it out or give us some more information if it is a little troublesome.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    550w is enough for a none SLI/Crossfire setup

Have you got another card to try out?
    Maybe your video card is dead.
    Intel i7 2700K (@4.8Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - Gigabyte GTX680 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithnor View Post
    That PSU seems a bit under what I would call a "safe" zone for your computer.

You have to remember that PSUs don't actually put out the EXACT wattage they are sold at, and the ones that come with cases are notoriously bad.
    His setup will pull about 400W. Also, Antec makes good power supplies. It should be able to put out what its rated at.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Taken from the Nvidia website - Minimum Recommended System Power (W): 500 W.
    That power supply should work. It should at least show something, if you connected the monitor. Try reconnecting everything.
    If still no go, check to see if the card's fan is spinning, if it isn't it measn it isn't getting power. Lastly, try connecting it to a friend's PC to see it's not faulty.

I know my radeon 6950 requires 550w from my PSU by itself. I have a 950 though. So I am not worried X:

Well i had a similar problem on one of my machines, pretty much the same setup but i cheaped out and used my old 550W PSU...and it would not work.
    Got a Corsair TX650w and runs like a clock now :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 4long2wide View Post
    I know my radeon 6950 requires 550w from my PSU by itself. I have a 950 though. So I am not worried X:
    lol'd, your whole system doesn't even take 450w

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4long2wide View Post
    O.o HD6950 will not take more than 200W