10+ Year Old Account

Blank (All Black) Screen and a Movable Cursor

Hey guys,

I shut my computer down as normal last night, but when I turned it on today I had the "windows is loading" screen with the colourful orbs that merge together to make the windows symbol, then the screen goes all black and I cant do anyhting apart from move the cursor around, I cant crtl,alt,del or anything :/

At the moment I am sat in safe mode writing this, and I am running malware bytes to check I didnt pick up a virus.

Has anybody had this happen to them? How did you get around it? Hopefully I will get some quick responses.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Preimium 64bit off my 90GB SSD

Please help, kinda worried about this :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Deleted
    no idea why, but this also happened to me when i turned on my pc this morning. loaded up like normal but then loaded a black screen, with no taskbars, icons or anything. ctrl + alt + delete did work for me though and after opening task manager it loaded up everything properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    no idea why, but this also happened to me when i turned on my pc this morning. loaded up like normal but then loaded a black screen, with no taskbars, icons or anything. ctrl + alt + delete did work for me though and after opening task manager it loaded up everything properly.
    hmm...just have to think of a way to get ctrl,alt,del to work then :P malware bytes says it has found 1 file so far :/ still hasnt finished scanning but i dont think it is a virus becsaue last time i scanned it it acme up with 1 and it wasnt bad at all :/
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know windows can "hiccup" during start up after updating. usually only see it after big updates. My girlfriends laptop had the black screen with mouse cursor for a good twenty minutes before it actually got to the welcome screen after service pack 1. it's always worked for me to just wait it out. Otherwise I would just try a last known good settings boot from the f8 menu. If that doesn't do it, use an older restore point from system restore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i tried doing system restore from the 13th of august, usibg the windows restore thing.That didnt work, and now eventhe safe mode is doing tje black screen with cusor :/ simehow i made it worse, im typing this on my iphone so sorry for spelling errors etc ill leave it for half an hour to see if it eventually loads, then if not does anybodt else have any advice for me for if it doesnt load?

Quote Originally Posted by Zygersaf View Post
    Well i tried doing system restore from the 13th of august, usibg the windows restore thing.That didnt work, and now eventhe safe mode is doing tje black screen with cusor :/ simehow i made it worse, im typing this on my iphone so sorry for spelling errors etc ill leave it for half an hour to see if it eventually loads, then if not does anybodt else have any advice for me for if it doesnt load?
    Reinstall windows?

15+ Year Old Account
    I have these mysterious black screens too sometimes, usually after an update. For me however it seems to fix whenever I simply switch my monitor off and on again, or when I change resolution.. our problems might not even be related coming to think of it..

Deleted
    i'll do a reboot when i'm done and see if it black screens again, or whether it was a one off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    i'll do a reboot when i'm done and see if it black screens again, or whether it was a one off.
    Cool thanks for your sake i hope it was 1 off but if it isnt thenaybe there is a way around my screen I only want to reinstall windows as a last resort thing, it would be a lot of effort :/

Deleted
    had it again just now. opened up task manager with ctrlaltdelete and it looks to be a problem with the processes not starting up - there were barely any in there and a split second after i opened it, a ton all loaded up. not sure why they're not loading before the black screen. :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I ended up jsut reinstalling windows, I only formated my SSD so i still have all my games and videos etc on my D drive :P Just reinstalling drivers etc >.<