Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

nVidia 600 Series: Release and effect it'll have on 5xx series.

So I'm shopping around for a few GPUs for a rig I want to build. I heard murmurings about the nVidia 600 series coming out soon and that it might drop the price of the current 500 series.

I've never followed the release and trends of components like GPUs. I did a little bit of searching and I found out about the 600 series, but nothing about a solid release date.

As is I'm looking at the GTX 590 because it'll do exactly what I need it to. Should I hold off on buying one until after the 600 series drops? How much of a price drop might the 500 series see?

I'm not being a total nooblet, am I?

Thanks.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would buy a new gpu when you come to a game that your gpu is no longer enough to get you the performance and quality you want.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

They won't be coming out this year so don't hold your breath.

Deleted
    Generally there's always something new and shiney around the corner.
    Generally the new and shiney thing is vastly more expensive than current stuff. If you want the very best pay a premium for it. If not read around a little and find the best value for money possible (usually it's in the mid-high end rather than the very high end). Current sweet spot is probably something around a GTX 560 (get a "special" version with better cooling so you can overclock it, if you want a bit more get a "Ti" version).

What I'm trying to do is build a rig that boasts surround gaming on three 1080 displays. The GTX 590 was the only GPU I've been told is powerful enough to run it and run it smoothly.

If by "soon" you mean mid Q1 at the earliest, then yes, they'll come out soon.

What resolution do you run at, and what games do you want to run it with?

---------- Post added 2011-08-15 at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dayon View Post
    What I'm trying to do is build a rig that boasts surround gaming on three 1080 displays. The GTX 590 was the only GPU I've been told is powerful enough to run it and run it smoothly.
    GTX 590 is two GPUs.
    It's also the only nVIDIA-card to run triple-screen. I wouldn't go green team for that, unless you want 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    If by "soon" you mean mid Q1 at the earliest, then yes, they'll come out soon.

What resolution do you run at, and what games do you want to run it with?

---------- Post added 2011-08-15 at 08:45 PM ----------

GTX 590 is two GPUs.
    It's also the only nVIDIA-card to run triple-screen. I wouldn't go green team for that, unless you want 3D.
    I don't know the exact resolution I want to run at. I haven't selected the monitors I'll be using.

The main games I'm building this rig for is Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim, but to know that I have a computer that could run just about anything would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the 600 series comes out, yes the prices of the 500 series will drop. But the 600 series will be the better price/performance pick of the two. Otherwise how would Nvidia ever sell their new products?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    When the 600 series comes out, yes the prices of the 500 series will drop. But the 600 series will be the better price/performance pick of the two. Otherwise how would Nvidia ever sell their new products?
    Over the long run maybe, at release? Not hardly. They always push a high price point to get the most markup for those that want the best right out of the gate, and it gives them more room to lower the price as it ages on the market.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    If the GTX 590 could do what I needed but cost less than the newer 600 series, it'd just be a more opportune buy.

Deleted
    I would go for a 6970 personally. It should be more than enough to do what you want but if you are determined to do something extreme i would avoid the dual GPU's and just crossfire 6970's or SLi GTX570.

The new 7000 series AMD cards are meant to be released Q4 this year so the 6000 series will see some form of price drop.
    Last edited by mmoc436a444510; 2011-08-15 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    I would go for a 6970 personally. It should be more than enough to do what you want but if you are determined to do something extreme i would avoid the dual GPU's and just crossfire 6970's or SLi GTX570.
    Can GTX570s in SLI do what GTX590 can do on its own?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Over the long run maybe, at release? Not hardly. They always push a high price point to get the most markup for those that want the best right out of the gate, and it gives them more room to lower the price as it ages on the market.
    Well anything better than a GTX 580 will be a little overpriced. But anything that matches up with it, should be cheaper.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

If its money thats really gunna be an issue try SLIing 2 560ti's that should do it no problem and for a lot cheaper than the 590 right now. unless of course if your comp cant SLI, in that case you would be stuck with a 590.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. They're about equivalent iirc.

If your willing to drop on 2 570s then ya it would be fine

I don't know the exact resolution I want to run at. I haven't selected the monitors I'll be using.

The main games I'm building this rig for is Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim, but to know that I have a computer that could run just about anything would be nice.
    IDK about Mass Effect, but Skyrim will be a consoleport, so a highend-card should run it reasonable across three screens.

Yes. In raw GPU-power, they're about fifty-fifty. The loss of VRAM is a bigger concern. So, two HD6970s would do it better yet. And for slightly less money.

Deleted
    Yes and maybe more. It will be easier to overclock the 570s and it is more cost effective option than the 590 in my opinion.

I also concur with Tetris, The 6970's in crossfire are better than either Nvidia options unless you actually plan on using 3D or Physx.

10+ Year Old Account
    I run SLI gtx 570, I run a single monitor, 1920x1200 though. I wouldn't run surround on them though because of the v ram. If you want a GOOD surround gaming experience then buy 2 gtx 580 3gb models. The higher the res, the more v ram you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you even have 590 in 4 way SLI? Or at least 3?