The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the video...his recap at the end pays the game tons of compliments, frequently states it's just not for him aesthetically, and then criticizes the ho-hum questing in the beginning of the game which is dead on:boring. Then he speaks what he feels are impressive features. I frankly don't see how this has become controversial.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Just watched the video...his recap at the end pays the game tons of compliments, frequently states it's just not for him aesthetically, and then criticizes the ho-hum questing in the beginning of the game which is dead on:boring. Then he speaks what he feels are impressive features. I frankly don't see how this has become controversial.
    Because when someone bad mouths the game you're hoping that's good, they're automatically an asshole.

I've taken a part of that sometimes, I'm sure everyone else has at one point also.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Because when someone bad mouths the game you're hoping that's good, they're automatically an asshole.

I've taken a part of that sometimes, I'm sure everyone else has at one point also.
    *sigh* Yes. I often compare MMOs to relationships, which I find an apt analogy. In the beginning, you're infatuated (I refer to this as the "honeymoon period"). After awhile, flaws start to become apparent. Eventually, the game either goes the way you'd hoped or you find your preferences and the game design are headed down different paths. Then you question whether or not it's worth sticking around because you have a lot of time invested already, or if you need to part ways. Brief summary. :P

I'm consciously aware of the "honeymoon period" so I try not to get all crazy hyped up like I used to, but it's difficult sometimes. ;_;
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The starting experience of almost every game out there is going to feel 'boring' to experienced gamers as it is essentially designed as an introduction to the game and a tutorial and yet I so rarely see that actively acknowledged. I'd much rather see someone criticise it for not doing it's intended purpose. Does it inform you how to play effectively, giving helpful tips in the process? That's the sort of questions I'd love to see asked and answered as it's a lot more informative than someone saying they feel bored because the first few levels are a tutorial...

I have no issue with tutorials existing, I think they're necessary. You shouldn't have to repeat them though (unless you want to) and maybe there should be an option for seasoned gamers to just skip over it.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Oh yeah me too...but he was blatantly positive about so many things the game has and spoke directly to the types of people he thinks would enjoy it the most. I find it highly odd that people are getting this upset about what amounts to someone saying: 'Traditional MMO questing is boring.'
    BAD WOLF

Yeah, just finished and while he wasn't a big fan personally and leveled some legit critiques (starting bit looks to be boring as all hell from what I've seen), he was actually quite positive about the game as a whole. Not sure why anyone could get upset about his opinion >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I have no issue with tutorials existing, I think they're necessary. You shouldn't have to repeat them though (unless you want to) and maybe there should be an option for seasoned gamers to just skip over it.
    Yeah, I think that every player should be forced to go through it once and then they can be given the option to skip it entirely or go through it again on subsequent characters.

The Us vs. Them mentality is particularly strong in MMOs, since they require so much time commitment from you. Like someone above said, it's almost like a relationship. And if someone comes and criticizes your game, this mentality immediately kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    The Us vs. Them mentality is particularly strong in MMOs, since they require so much time commitment from you. Like someone above said, it's almost like a relationship. And if someone comes and criticizes your game, this mentality immediately kicks in.
    Yeah, that too. In some ways, it's criticizing someone's taste, which can be seen as offending.

i remember back when gw2 was still in beta jesse cox did a video and said something along the lines of "its not that new and im not a big fan of pve but the pvp is fantastic"

and like a kajillion guild wars 2 fanboys were just like RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE Y U H8 GERLD WERLS 2 GERLD WERLS 2 GONNAS REVOLUTIONIZESX
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

who is jesse cox?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    who is jesse cox?
    you-tuber that got big under the cata beta, rushing videos against Tottalbiscuit at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really seeing anything to disagree with on Joe's opinion here.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by aT1C View Post
    you-tuber that got big under the cata beta, rushing videos against Tottalbiscuit at the time.
    ah, a wow youtuber, no wonder I never heard of him

anyway, was just curious to see who that name drop was

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i remember back when gw2 was still in beta jesse cox did a video and said something along the lines of "its not that new and im not a big fan of pve but the pvp is fantastic"

and like a kajillion guild wars 2 fanboys were just like RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE Y U H8 GERLD WERLS 2 GERLD WERLS 2 GONNAS REVOLUTIONIZESX
    Technically it did. There's a fair few features in GW2 that should pretty much be standard quality of life features in modern MMO's. The ability to instantly send crafting materials from anywhere in the world to a special slot in one's bank springs to mind. Personally I felt that it was lacking in other regards and rarely play it these days but I still appreciate what it brought to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    ah, a wow youtuber, no wonder I never heard of him

anyway, was just curious to see who that name drop was
    hes not really a wow youtuber.

he only does wow videos when beta is around, or when his guild does some funny event, or when he has an interview. hes super into lore so he doesnt do alot of gameplay for wow stuff.

hes pretty much a lets player. he just finished playing through metal gear rising reveangence and marlow brigs. now hes playing tokyo jungle and the metal gear dlc.

he does alot of colabs with crendor though. also dodger and tb

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    Technically it did. There's a fair few features in GW2 that should pretty much be standard quality of life features in modern MMO's. The ability to instantly send crafting materials from anywhere in the world to a special slot in one's bank springs to mind. Personally I felt that it was lacking in other regards and rarely play it these days but I still appreciate what it brought to the table.
    im not saying it didnt bring in new stuff. im just saying we all know how crazy fanboys get before an mmo launches
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

im not saying it didnt bring in new stuff. im just saying we all know how crazy fanboys get before an mmo launches
    Definitely true and while I'm a GW2 fan this definitely did occur when it launched.

Just got back from 2hours of youtube videos for this game, guys, really, is this game worthy of a beta test? Main problem is that no class felt good for me, not like rift where there was just to many specializations that i wanted to play, wildstart doesn't appeal to me on the class side, where's my dot based class? esper is close but on the 1hour gameplay i saw it just felt underpowered and its abilities felt clunky.

I don't play melee based characters no matter what game it is. The game looks too melee friendly with this aim system, you just keep close to casters and they can't aim on you....

Signed up for beta, but from what i've saw on this 2 hours, it's going to be swtor 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    Just got back from 2hours of youtube videos for this game, guys, really, is this game worthy of a beta test? Main problem is that no class felt good for me, not like rift where there was just to many specializations that i wanted to play, wildstart doesn't appeal to me on the class side, where's my dot based class? esper is close but on the 1hour gameplay i saw it just felt underpowered and its abilities felt clunky.

I don't play melee based characters no matter what game it is. The game looks too melee friendly with this aim system, you just keep close to casters and they can't aim on you....

Signed up for beta, but from what i've saw on this 2 hours, it's going to be swtor 2.0
    Ye it's so bad, they might as well go f2p now.