The main issue is a lot of people ignore the journey in favour of the destination and rush to reach the end game only to then complain about there being little to keep them entertained. I've always found it very strange that people are willing to do the same raid over and over and over again but they find it tedious to learn the context behind a particular quest or task.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Actually, I did read the quests - I just didn't find the story that engaging - horses for courses as they say.

I don't actually find the leveling in WoW to be all that engaging either since the Cataclysm, but it's still more enjoyable for me that Wildstar was. And not grindy you say? Then why the hell do you have to kill 20/30 mobs instead of say 10, or click on 15 objects instead of 5. And please explain the sense of having a heavy penalty for doing quests just one level below yours? This is where the grind is when leveling in Wildstar.
    For the kill quests, the game is designed around engaging more than one enemy at a go. Since 5 is the max most abilities can target, giving a quest of one pull worth of monsters would be slightly less than ideal. If the game didn't ask you to engage groups, players would come out the other end of leveling with awkward expectations on how to manage targets in all sorts of situations. WoW on the other hand is designed more around single targets as most of your abilities are single target(or were originally), and mob placement is such that you need to try to gather groups rather than avoid over pulling. As a further extreme, consider what a 5 or 15 mob kill quest would mean in something like Diablo, the more you ratchet up the optimum targets a player can manage, the higher the target count needs to be for the quest to make sense.

I don't quite know what the level quest penalty has to do with making things grindy. It lets you move on without running around a whole level if you have no interest in the story. I'd prefer if it was more like GW2, where you were scaled down to the region and always gained xp from quests, but I don't follow how this bit is grindy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    The main issue is a lot of people ignore the journey in favour of the destination and rush to reach the end game only to then complain about there being little to keep them entertained. I've always found it very strange that people are willing to do the same raid over and over and over again but they find it tedious to learn the context behind a particular quest or task.
    Enjoy the journeyeru!!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey look, I can make a positive post! So while Carbine's little Alice in Wonderland riff was pretty cool....this is how you do it with your house. The magic starts about 50s in. As my 2nd fav Disney movie, I approve:
    BAD WOLF

Very impressive. Seeing projects like that make me wish I could beg off my responsibilities for a few months and really dig into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Hey look, I can make a positive post! So while Carbine's little Alice in Wonderland riff was pretty cool....this is how you do it with your house. The magic starts about 50s in. As my 2nd fav Disney movie, I approve:
    Wow, some people are very talented. That was awesome!

It's pretty crazy what you can do with the housing in Wildstar, I don't think I'd have the patience to make something that detailed though lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Acid, how are the dopamine rushes that you get from raiding in WS anyway?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Very impressive. Seeing projects like that make me wish I could beg off my responsibilities for a few months and really dig into it.
    Yeah I wish I had the patience for it to get better, but seeing things like this makes me think one day I can dedicate enough time for it.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I often enjoy cutscenes and voiced quests which makes the journey fun, but I don't quite enjoy the journey or the context behind certain quests when I have to actively search for it and I find that Wildstar hasn't done a very good job in the lower levels to bring over the context behind the quests seeing as how horrible the quest log is IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    That was pretty cool, but I have to admit to a mild disappointment of not seeing a giant plushie taking up the house. I thought s/he (didn't listen to the video) would try to go for the White Rabbit's house.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

So far I'm only level 11 on the trial I was given and there are a few concerns I feel to bring up (though probably better to gives these to the actual forums but whatever). I've had a few cutscenes start on the fade-to-black and just stay there so I had to alt+f4, sometimes when I hearth (or whatever the term) it takes a few seconds for any npc to show up. And this is more player-specific, in WoW I use a mix of mouse control and wasd to camera turn as well as use my abilities so it's a bit rough having to lean more towards mouse control for movement and solely use my keys for abilities. Last point is more about learning but those first 2 points are a bit worrisome. Other than that, mobs are easy to kill but because of spacing, I can only round up about 4 max and can solo most group quests (doesn't help I chose engineer I think) but like it regardless.
    Last edited by Calfredd; 2014-08-17 at 02:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... any word yet on the whole sub-forum yet? I mean, I know a couple people post but I bet most don't post here because its useless to post on a huge megathread when already so much discussion is going on.

Also, I had an interesting discussion with someone from Enigma. Apparently they said that Carbine's original goal was to launch out with a couple servers, then merge them to one mega server, or with some cross realm features where players could join guilds from other servers and such. He said he thinks they are going to do that around November when WoD launches... I am guessing its because once the hype dies down for WoD, people will return to their former or other MMOs... Other than that, I wish they could do it now .

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So... any word yet on the whole sub-forum yet? I mean, I know a couple people post but I bet most don't post here because its useless to post on a huge megathread when already so much discussion is going on.
    I think one of the mods way back said they'd consider making a sub-forum if the megathread is active enough and if the game doesn't die down or something. May be more, may be less, but I think that's the gist of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    This is exactly the reason why I never truly bothered posting at launch because of the huge discussions going on. Even after the honey moon phase I barely bothered because it's not fun to post in this thread opposed to a sub forum. I don't get why they won't just get rid of some of the other sub forums like the minecraft one. I mean, minecraft already has a curse forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    This is exactly the reason why I never truly bothered posting at launch because of the huge discussions going on. Even after the honey moon phase I barely bothered because it's not fun to post in this thread opposed to a sub forum. I don't get why they won't just get rid of some of the other sub forums like the minecraft one. I mean, minecraft already has a curse forums.
    I've said this before but I honestly think MMO-Champion would do very well for itself if it shifted to becoming a site devoted to multiple MMO's instead of being primarily about WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said this before but I honestly think MMO-Champion would do very well for itself if it shifted to becoming a site devoted to multiple MMO's instead of being primarily about WoW.
    They could, and while I find it a good idea I don't think they have the resources to stay up to date with all MMO news. But it surely wouldn't hurt if they made multiple sub forums for multiple MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    They could, and while I find it a good idea I don't think they have the resources to stay up to date with all MMO news. But it surely wouldn't hurt if they made multiple sub forums for multiple MMOs.
    They have some. For some of what are arguably the biggest names in MMOs right now. Yet they are completely dead. 2 or 3 dedicated players post in them with the occasional noob coming in to ask a question. If I had to take an indication from this thread, I'd say there's about 6 people who regularly post on the subject, with perhaps another half a dozen who come in irregularly.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    They have some. For some of what are arguably the biggest names in MMOs right now. Yet they are completely dead. 2 or 3 dedicated players post in them with the occasional noob coming in to ask a question. If I had to take an indication from this thread, I'd say there's about 6 people who regularly post on the subject, with perhaps another half a dozen who come in irregularly.
    I just come for the rides and entertainment... also I can't be bothered to read 2000 pages worth of conversation that hit page 100 in a day(?) I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'd suggest that they're dead simply because there isn't much reason to invest to begin with. If the site moved away from being associated with WoW and WoW alone and provided up to date news for a variety of MMO's then there would inevitably be a shift towards a more varied form of discussion. After all, there's a lot of people who stick around purely for the sake of the off-topic forum.

Of course there's likely other sites out there that devote a forum to pretty much every game in existence but if there are then I'm not familiar with them. I wouldn't be opposed to being pointed in their direction though!