Quote Originally Posted by athlonmax View Post
    I, too would love to see a new MMO to succeed, but isn't all the bashing a little bit extreme?
    I thought I was being pretty gentle when I wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    There's really nothing in the game to hook you in unfortunately.
    Even if the game were buy to play, I would have only bought it to play with a few friends (who, after hearing that it's going to be subscription base, have abandoned the game). There's nothing in the game itself that is that impressive or new. I've tried to defend this, albeit halfheartedly, that wildstar isn't trying to be original but rather is focused on taking elements of existing mmos and making their systems more intuitive. But even playing the beta is a chore when there isn't anything particularly interesting about it. I feel that swtors datacron hunts are better than most of wildstars explorer activities. Wildstars housing to Rifts housing is like comparing the ability to add some pictures and fish to your room in mass effect 2 to minecraft. The combat and movement is extremely floating and less than impactful, games like Neverwinter online have done better. The questing feels like a throw back to the original MMOs but without the fantastic lore to make you care enough to read the blocks of text. There is nothing captivating about the IP. A story driven mmo like Lotro or swtor both have better questing.

It's a lot like wow in that while it plans on checking off many aspects of MMOs, it does so halfheartedly. As if they had a checklist of "things that go in an mmo" and did their bare minimum to complete it. There is no heart in this game.

TLDR: This is my face when I heard this.
    I could have been much less tactful.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    I find this forum to be indicative of the 'new breed' casual gamers that imo have largely ruined the MMO genre. I consider the negative response on this forum to be a sign of a solid stamp of approval for the hardcore crowd.

Other forums are responding quite favorably to this.
    Considering this group of gamers was primarily brought in by WoW, a subscription based MMO, when it broadened the market, I fail to really see the point in this >.>

That is if you equate subscription with "hardcore" and F2P with "casual" as you seem to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Check the official forums as well as comments sections in fan forums and in article.

It's causing quite the stir.
    And what would have happened if they announced a f2p model? Same thing, just different people complaining. Haters are always the loudest ones. Since im happy with it, i really dont go across all comment sections like the opposite side does.

Well I do agree that whatever payment model they went with would have caused some sort of backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel0ns View Post
    And what would have happened if they announced a f2p model? Same thing, just different people complaining. Haters are always the loudest ones. Since im happy with it, i really dont go across all comment sections like the opposite side does.
    Probably not as huge a backlash, but there's still be unhappy people.

But had they announced a B2P model, especially with an optional subscription like TSW has, I think we'd have a much more positive reaction from players. Based on how they were talking about the business model up to this point, all interpretations were that it was going to be something along these lines, so their own teasing has lead to this disappointment.

The game probably won't come out for 6 months or so. Thats plenty of time to create a cash shop and change to a B2P model and charge a couple bucks for house decorations is it not? I mean that would definitely push more people to the game and cut down on the anger.

They ought to start taking preorders right now (and give some cool free shit to those of us crazy enough to pay) to get some prelim numbers of how many people don't give a shit about this announcement.

Yeah I have lots of disposable income, fuck it. My Darth Malgus statue looks at me every day shaking his head saying "$150 for the CE? You are one dumb motherf$%#er"

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Probably not as huge a backlash, but there's still be unhappy people.

But had they announced a B2P model, especially with an optional subscription like TSW has, I think we'd have a much more positive reaction from players. Based on how they were talking about the business model up to this point, all interpretations were that it was going to be something along these lines, so their own teasing has lead to this disappointment.
    I agree. I actually expected the TSW model, which I find the best personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Not to mention that a lot of people liked the promise of what they saw and analyzed it with B2P glasses. Combat not perfect? That's ok, I can focus on building my house and I'm not paying a sub. Paths not very different, that's ok because I like their combat and won't have to pay a sub. Whole leveling game not good? That's ok because their raiding seems awesome.

All of this with the idea that they didn't have to pay rent in order for their landlord to fix all the building's damages. But now that they have to pay for all of this stuff they are already unhappy with? Time to just be brutally honest instead of talking about the good things and the 'what may be's'.

Now you know that you will have to pay money every month for things you already aren't 100% ok with. Nope, not acceptable anymore.
    ^ Exactly.

If this were going to be B2P + optional sub then I would still be defending it. There's just too little going for it to justify a sub. From the paths, the world, the questing, movement, and the combat... It just feels like they wanted to do something great but got 40% there on almost every aspect of their game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    The game probably won't come out for 6 months or so. Thats plenty of time to create a cash shop and change to a B2P model and charge a couple bucks for house decorations is it not?
    It would be great if that happened but... I am beginning to suspect they are getting high off their own stash (of hypaine).

I mean, look at how reluctant they were to allow a simple UI addon that improved the combat of their game! It was as if they were offended that people didn't like their shoddy combat system.

On a side note, any angry beta testers who want to give up their spot due to the shittyness of this sub based MMO, feel free to PM the creds I will make use of them.

People that are really excited about the game they will play it even with the subscription. Others can only pray and curse the game to fail so they can sometime play it without paying a dime. It seems that Wildstar is aiming at a steady niche community rather than the MMO tourists.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I agree. I actually expected the TSW model, which I find the best personally.
    Yeah, that's what I was predicting.

Honestly, it provides the largest number of monetization options (Initial box price, optional subscription, optional cash shop purchases) and if done correctly (TSW does it right IMO) is remarkably fair to players as well.

But alas. I may give this a go but I can't really see myself sticking with it with a subscription for very long at this point : /

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    People that are really excited about the game they will play it even with the subscription. Others can only pray and curse the game to fail so they can sometime play it without paying a dime. It seems that Wildstar is aiming at a steady niche community rather than the MMO tourists.
    Yep. And all 50k of them will end up wishing that they had more people to play with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, did not expect this when they were talking about "hybrid."
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, look at how reluctant they were to allow a simple UI addon that improved the combat of their game! It was as if they were offended that people didn't like their shoddy combat system.
    Nah, they just know where the most money are. So they just went "you don't like combat system - gtfo." and they have that right, and they are right. It's combat system the core of the game. It's their game and the game is not for everyone. You can't have two combat systems - because both will suck in mutual coitus. Not to mention the need to support them both and the balance between them. So "you don't like combat system - gtfo."
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Wow, did not expect this when they were talking about "hybrid."
    My hummer is a hybrid.

It uses gasoline and when I am going down hill, gravity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Nah, they just know where the most money are. So they just went "you don't like combat system - gtfo." and they have that right, and they are right. It's combat system the core of the game. It's their game and the game is not for everyone. You can't have two combat systems - because both will suck in mutual coitus. Not to mention the need to support them both and the balance between them. So "you don't like combat system - gtfo."
    Um... You don't know what happened... Do you?

(this is why I tend to prefer discussing the game with people who are actually IN the beta)
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-08-19 at 06:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. And all 50k of them will end up wishing that they had more people to play with.
    That's like 10 servers.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Yeah I have lots of disposable income, fuck it. My Darth Malgus statue looks at me every day shaking his head saying "$150 for the CE? You are one dumb motherf$%#er"
    As one who feelz your pain, this made me laugh quite a bit.

I am in the "want new MMO's to succeed bunch. Its a straight ballzy move to throw your hat in the ring of the sub game. I wish them all the luck in the world but regardless of what side of the camp your on, one thing is indisputable, they set the bar for themselves WAY higher with this announcement than necessary and by all odds made it much harder for themselves to succeed.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2013-08-19 at 06:42 PM.

Of course, but still with a subscription, because if the game goes f2p they will not care anymore...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um... You don't know what happened... Do you?
    Oh I do, user add-on - is a user add-on. I just explained why they were reluctant. Why they won't change their combat system and why they won't make a hybrid combat system.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Oh I do, user add-on - is a user add-on. I just explained why they were reluctant. Why they won't change their combat system and why they won't make a hybrid combat system.
    They are planning on adding the addon into the games basic UI options.

Essentially, W* will have WACC combat as part of their core game.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-08-19 at 06:52 PM.