Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I am very critical of crb and wildstar on the reddit and forums. So much so I havent really played the game in over a month (not counting logging in now and then to chat with my guild)

My post about other games communities was more so directed at Eleccys comment on why Wildstar gets all the hate. I didn't say it to just be hostile, I said that because I didn't see it as a valid reason why Wildstar gets far more hate than other mmos with worse people than who he was referring to.

While Packers seemes more hyperbolic (which is why I commented against him) he wasn't wrong in the sense that Wildstar was a major clusterfuck at launch, with sooo many issues, to the point it did deserve the hate for the first few months.
    I agree with Packers. The clusterfuck didn't help nor did their pisspoor advertising when they went F2P. They just didn't do enough imo. But I do believe the hardcore obnoxious fans are a factor as well because they are unwilling to see sense and the game is the best thing since sliced bread. In no way is Wildstar a terrible game it just had a terrible lifespan from launching as sub game into a poor advertising campaign into F2P. The numbers admittedly surged but then it's just gone back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    A lot of my hate for the game comes from the fact that I was so pumped up for it. Its the only game I have ever really tried to get into a beta for and me and a couple of my wow guild members had plans to quit and play this game. I have never felt so let down playing a game or been more disappointed with a dev team. The level of arrogance they displayed time and time again made me not only quit, but actively root against the game.
    This. They basically pissed on loads of peoples hype for this game and pretty much spat in their faces.

A lot of my hate for the game comes from the fact that I was so pumped up for it. Its the only game I have ever really tried to get into a beta for and me and a couple of my wow guild members had plans to quit and play this game. I have never felt so let down playing a game or been more disappointed with a dev team. The level of arrogance they displayed time and time again made me not only quit, but actively root against the game.
    Why root against it when most of the arrogant devs you spoke of are long gone (one of which now works for blizz) and the current devs are only trying as hard as they can to improve the game.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Same. I was hyped, tried to get into beta for months before finally making it in, and then was so disappointed. I was also active on the beta forums and, along with others, tried giving feedback like improving the leveling experience (which was abysmal). I think they made the mistake of being too focused on (group content) end game when players were getting turned off long before they got there. Plus, at least at the time, there wasn't anything for solo players to do at max level. I recall one of the devs saying soloers comprise as much as 65% of MMO players and are an under-served demographic, yet Wildstar had nothing to offer them either.

I ended up buying the game shortly before it went F2P for the perks, but never made it out of the starting zone. I read someone say it's not as grindy anymore, so maybe I'll give it another try.

I do find this thread fascinating. Every time I check it there's little to no discussion about the game itself, but everything that was done wrong from design choices to marketing. It's basically existed as one continuous discussion thread on what not to do with an MMO.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Redmoon Mutiny is a really good update, one of the most important ones in Wildstars history imo
    This is the most exaggerated and illogical claim I have seen in this thread yet. It has a total advertised feature set of 3. T-H-R-E-E.

Second half of a raid that wasn't finished when it launched.
    Cross faction grouping. (important, yes, but it didn't change the world when it happened if Rift and it surely won't here)
    PvP leaderboards. (for all 20 people that pvp)

Yet these three things are the most important features in Wildstar's history. Hahahahaha.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    This is the most exaggerated and illogical claim I have seen in this thread yet. It has a total advertised feature set of 3. T-H-R-E-E.

Second half of a raid that wasn't finished when it launched.
    Cross faction grouping. (important, yes, but it didn't change the world when it happened if Rift and it surely won't here)
    PvP leaderboards. (for all 20 people that pvp)

Yet these three things are the most important features in Wildstar's history. Hahahahaha.
    In terms of current Wildstar, I think it is one of the most important updates the game has had.
    It wouldnt be 1 year ago, but right now it is.

Cross faction grouping is very important, I didn't say they were the most important features, leaderboards certainly aren't. But with the factions (Dominion, exile is fine) in a poor state this is essential
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    To you maybe, not many people agree. Lets stop pretending Wildstar is this amazing game or something, there is a reason hardly anyone plays it.
    The only "fun" I have in Wildstar is making a character. After that my "fun" drops considerably. Wildstar has no amazing "fun factor" (hugely subjective judgement there) beyond any other game on the market. Besides, the idea that a game has a high fun factor and a low player base is contradictory. If the game was fun, more people would play it. That's the basic definition of "fun", something people enjoy doing. I can't think of anything "fun" that doesn't have a lot of people doing it, unless that thing is absurdly niche and MMOs are not absurdly niche anymore.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Going to give WS another shot. Any major changes since beta? Was the EXP required to level reduced? Can I access my house from level 1 now, or do I still have to wait until 14? Are race/class restrictions gone?

The only thing they got wrong was the launch, server hardware, and marketing, After Drop 3 Wildstar became and still is one of the top mmorpgs in the market. Not in terms of player numbers (though there is enough to do content with) But in terms of fun factor
    No it wasn't. Wildstar was not the top of ANYTHING in anything. Hell it lives in the shadow of Guild Wars 2 and even lineage and lots of people was pissed they shutdown City of Heroes to pull resources from there to Wildstar.

Wildstar was barely a blip on the MMO radar and what took MMO's by storm around its time was the rebirth of FFXIV.

I liked many things about wildsar, But NCsoft/Carbines handling was piss poor and a decent part of its fanbase didn't help anything ether.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-10-17 at 02:58 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    lots of people was pissed they shutdown City of Heroes to pull resources from there to Wildstar.
    Whatever your opinion of the game when you say something so supremely idiotic as this, everything goes out the window.

No people were "pissed" about that because (1) it never happened what with Carbine being an independent studio with no relation to NCSoft other than having them as a publisher at the time, and (2) no one ever was such an idiot to even posit that there was any relation between the two (3) the timeline is completely wrong.

We had to wait for you to get such a retarded statement.
    Last edited by Roadblock; 2016-10-17 at 06:06 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
    Whatever your opinion of the game when you say something so supremely idiotic as this, everything goes out the window.

No people were "pissed" about that because (1) it never happened what with Carbine being an independent studio with no relation to NCSoft other than having them as a publisher at the time, and (2) no one ever was such an idiot to even posit that there was any relation between the two (3) the timeline is completely wrong.

holy fuck the salt... chill mate

Quote Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post

Facts and history disagree with you champ. NCsoft shutdown CoH and put there focus on Wildstar, Carbine was not a independent studio and CoH was making NCsoft more $$$ before its shutdown then what Wildstar is now. NCsoft clearly though they was going to make bank with Wildstar and that isn't the case at all.
    I would be highly impressed if they broken even yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbine_Studios
    The company was acquired by NCSOFT in 2007
    The shutdown was so random the Paragon team didn't even know about it and they just came off a big update with another one planned.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes
    The final live update, "Where Shadows Lie," was released on May 31, 2012. On August 31, 2012, NCsoft terminated its Paragon Studios development team, ending all production on CoH[1] with the last day of services on November 30, 2012.[2]
    he stated explanation for this move was a "realignment of company focus and publishing support".
    NCsofts focus was clearly on Wildstar and it has clearly backfired on them.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-10-17 at 02:19 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

The amount of bitterness and anger directed at Wildstar still continues to amaze me. Trying to blame CoH closing on the game is a new low though. Especially, considering how long its been since its release. Its like people who live on the internet and saw their life's work in WoW challenged could not bear the possibility that something HARDCORE! (at least in its marketing) could exist. We must now gather around its ashes and stomp them. There might be a small flame left! Stomp it! Stomp it! Ignore the dozen other casual mmo's that came and went, Wildstar said this and now its not making money! OMG, my life's work has been validated! Although a handful like Guild Wars 2 did okay. I wonder who publishes that?

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    The amount of bitterness and anger directed at Wildstar still continues to amaze me. Trying to blame CoH closing on the game is a new low though. Especially, considering how long its been since its release. Its like people who live on the internet and saw their life's work in WoW challenged could not bear the possibility that something HARDCORE! (at least in its marketing) could exist.
    The problem is the Wildstar community acting like this. When you're arrogant and try to take shots at people they're going to rub it in when you fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

The amount of bitterness and anger directed at Wildstar still continues to amaze me. Trying to blame CoH closing on the game is a new low though. Especially, considering how long its been since its release. Its like people who live on the internet and saw their life's work in WoW challenged could not bear the possibility that something HARDCORE! (at least in its marketing) could exist. We must now gather around its ashes and stomp them. There might be a small flame left! Stomp it! Stomp it! Ignore the dozen other casual mmo's that came and went, Wildstar said this and now its not making money! OMG, my life's work has been validated! Although a handful like Guild Wars 2 did okay. I wonder who publishes that?
    Nobody cares that it tried to be something different or hardcore compared to other games. They care because it was so hyped up and it was a disaster from the start. And now the game has suffered for it. They went F2P which was poorly marketed and updates are coming way too slow. They have basically made a disaster of their own game. Steam users at peak is less than 1000 and as for non steam I doubt it is any better. The game itself isn't bad what it tried to be was because it did not work and the hardcore fans trying to go all at it and insult other games is not exactly helping. As for City of Heroes can't say I heard of it or if they did actually shut it down to develop Wildstar and I don't want to get into a debate of "who did what to who" on that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    The problem is the Wildstar community acting like this. When you're arrogant and try to take shots at people they're going to rub it in when you fail.
    Hardcore fans are the worst of any game. WoW, Rift, Wildstar, FF14 list goes on. They think it is the best thing since sliced bread and god forbid if you find something you don't like about their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No it wasn't. Wildstar was not the top of ANYTHING in anything. Hell it lives in the shadow of Guild Wars 2 and even lineage and lots of people was pissed they shutdown City of Heroes to pull resources from there to Wildstar.

Wildstar was barely a blip on the MMO radar and what took MMO's by storm around its time was the rebirth of FFXIV.

I liked many things about wildsar, But NCsoft/Carbines handling was piss poor and a decent part of its fanbase didn't help anything ether.
    Top of means quality btw, when it comes to thempark mmorpgs today Wildstar is at least in the top 10, if not 5
    imo
    Diablo Bore.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Top of means quality btw, when it comes to thempark mmorpgs today Wildstar is at least in the top 10, if not 5
    imo
    Having make believe categories that only apply to how you view something doesn't really contribute to a great narrative. 3 feature patch: Most Important Patch of All of MMOs. Game that failed harder than any other MMO in the last decade: Top 5 MMORPG of all time.

I flipping love Wildstar and wish it had taken off, because now it's never getting content and won't even match LotRO's output. This makes me sad, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and have a conversation with myself about how it's really something amazing and everyone else is just crazy for not thinking the same.
    BAD WOLF

imo
    The bolded doesn't say much when there is barely any top MMO's in the first place.

The list mainly is (not in any order)
    1) WoW
    2) FFXIV
    3) Runescape
    4) BDO
    5) Guild Wars 2

and that's really it, saying its in a list that's stupid short isn't something to brag about. Wildstar was not and has not ever been the top of anything. As much as I hate Trion Worlds I would even rank it behind Rift and Defiance. That list gets even longer once you start adding MMO's like EQ1&2 to it. Wild Star is way down on that list and it sits behind Rift IMO.

NCsoft/Carbine handled Wildstar poorly at release and when it went f2p. They didn't lissen to feedback and tried to make (A hardcore MMO for the hardcore player) not realizing they are 11 years late if not longer.

I get it you like the game and that's fine, there is aspects of it I like as well. But don't blind defend it or blind praise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Nobody cares that it tried to be something different or hardcore compared to other games. They care because it was so hyped up and it was a disaster from the start. And now the game has suffered for it. They went F2P which was poorly marketed and updates are coming way too slow. They have basically made a disaster of their own game. Steam users at peak is less than 1000 and as for non steam I doubt it is any better. The game itself isn't bad what it tried to be was because it did not work and the hardcore fans trying to go all at it and insult other games is not exactly helping. As for City of Heroes can't say I heard of it or if they did actually shut it down to develop Wildstar and I don't want to get into a debate of "who did what to who" on that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Hardcore fans are the worst of any game. WoW, Rift, Wildstar, FF14 list goes on. They think it is the best thing since sliced bread and god forbid if you find something you don't like about their game.

Rift did some of those same things in its marketing to try and grab a niche, and yet because it was successful, it hardly gets mentioned. Rarely do I hear about the long line of casual mmo's that have failed, and that's a long list now. Just saying, the fact that this argument keeps going around Wildstar tells me which side is more obsessed. As for Wildstar being heavily marketed? I mean there are quite a few mmo's that had actual TV time. Do you think anyone not into mmo's heard much about Wildstar? It got talked up here and other sites mostly dedicated to mmo's.

And yeah, after all these years, trying to reinterpret CoH closing as the fault of Wildstar is hilarious.

edit - And here's another thing, if there are only a few thousand people playing Wildstar, that might be more than are in this thread still crying about it years later. Most of you don't even see much potential in what it did have, which is about all I got out of it, but its funny that there's one thread on a mmo site with thousands of them, and yet you're all running into this one and getting all worked up 2 years later.
    Last edited by Marakesh; 2016-10-18 at 01:53 PM.

And yeah, after all these years, trying to reinterpret CoH closing as the fault of Wildstar is hilarious.
    Not reinterpreting anything.

The shutdown of CoH was complete random and Wildstar was NCsoft's new baby. At one point Ncsoft even admitted to not liking f2p MMO's even tho they was making money on CoH. CoH just dropped a big update and announced another to fallow and in between the two they randomly got axed.

Its clear NCsoft though that Wildstar would be there next hit and yet it turned out the way it did. When CoH shutdown it was making NCsoft more money then what Wildstar currently or really ever did.

Its not hard to see why CoH got the axe and them not making enough money wasn't the issue.