Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    But these newer MMOs are launching in an entirely different landscape than World of Warcraft (which, for the most part, had wonderful starting areas for each race). Look at SWTOR as an example ... they pumped all their time into developing a great (solo) questing experience and people go "THE END GAME SUCKS!"

It's all about trade-offs. An easy, one-size-fits all starter zone might suck but it gives tons more time and resources to develop other areas of the game. Time is not unlimited.

I personally don't like tutorials at all. But I also enjoyed Battle Toads even though I couldn't get past the second level. Different generations

EDIT: this is, of course, assuming that other parts of the game are stronger/tighter because the neglected starting zones!
    That wasn't my point at all. Unique starter zone is fine or w/e but this generic tutorial is not even needed and it shows based on the development of both the exile and dominions structure of their respective starter zones (being exactly the same structure and plot) that Carbine doesn't care either.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Honestly according to some eso folks having a bad starting zone might just kill the game as no one will play beyond level three, so why wouldn't this be the case for Wildstar though.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    Honestly according to some eso folks having a bad starting zone might just kill the game as no one will play beyond level three, so why wouldn't this be the case for Wildstar though.
    It would be the same for any MMO. If the game doesn't hook players early, they bail. And from everything I've seen of the starting zones, WildStar really needs to axe the first like...hour or so and let people skip straight into the first actual open world zone. Just fold the tutorial into that and it seems like it would provide a much sounder starting experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wildstar's starting zones definitely aren't created equal.

They do have the same structure and follow the exact same pattern, both in the spaceship and the individual 'first' zones, but i don't think that's a problem for a first gameplay, it gets boring if you create like 6 characters in two days, sure it does.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    They do have the same structure and follow the exact same pattern, both in the spaceship and the individual 'first' zones, but i don't think that's a problem for a first gameplay, it gets boring if you create like 6 characters in two days, sure it does.
    It was boring the first time. There should be option to skip it. Or it should be completely replaced by an intro movie and a cut scene.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    But these newer MMOs are launching in an entirely different landscape than World of Warcraft (which, for the most part, had wonderful starting areas for each race). Look at SWTOR as an example ... they pumped all their time into developing a great (solo) questing experience and people go "THE END GAME SUCKS!"

It's all about trade-offs. An easy, one-size-fits all starter zone might suck but it gives tons more time and resources to develop other areas of the game. Time is not unlimited.

I personally don't like tutorials at all. But I also enjoyed Battle Toads even though I couldn't get past the second level. Different generations

EDIT: this is, of course, assuming that other parts of the game are stronger/tighter because the neglected starting zones!
    Well, the end game did suck. With their budget they should of done a LOT better.

From what I saw on twitch the starters seem decent, I just hope it's not as bad as ESO. ESO starting was horrid. Not a great experience at all. I enjoyed Aion's starting zone, and Rift did it pretty well to.
    Last edited by ignitar; 2014-03-10 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ignitar View Post
    Can't comment on Wildstar (NDA), but I hope it's not as bad a ESO. ESO starting was horrid. Not a great experience at all. I enjoyed Aion's starting zone, and Rift did it pretty well to.
    Which faction did you start with? I really liked the coldharbor starting zone. It wasn't as good as hutta in swtor or lotros starting zone but it was definitely better than most.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Ugh, today's gamers. So fucking complainy. Can't even take 10 mins out of their life for a brief tutorial. Makes me terribly sad, that.

And this huff puff over the first zones? They were all pretty interesting and fun. (This was all exile) Though, honestly, if anyone can't make it to where the game actually starts picking up and getting going, shouldn't even be playing. I can tell that you'll do more complaining than anything, and I honestly don't want these types of players. Good riddance if you, or anyone else, can't handle the starting areas.

Seriously, good riddance.

Yes, I'm a prick; get over it. (The nice Ateista is long gone.)
    "And so it begins, grab on to your nipples, it's gonna be one hell of a ride." ~ Meteoria
    "AND THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE WHO THINK YOU'RE MENTAL FOR LIKING A GIGGLE STICK MORE THAN A HAM WALLET!! PEOPLE WHO THINK A LIFE OF BEING HATED AND BEATEN AND MURDERED IS SOMETHING A PERSON WOULD CHOOSE TO DO WILLINGLY JUST TO BLOW ANOTHER GUY OR LICK ANOTHER CHICK'S FANNY!!!" ~ Reddit user

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow start zone is horible. Takes too long . 10 min for wildstar is nothing.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Wow start zone is horible. Takes too long . 10 min for wildstar is nothing.
    WoW had no start zones. They added one in WotLK for DKs and then Goblins, Worgens and Pandas.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Regarding ESO, I did not like the Coldharbour tutorial and am glad I have the option to skip over it with alts.

As for Wildstar, both faction tutorials are kind of hit and miss. If there were one thing I'd say they really need to tone down on it's all the going around finding/gathering/collecting stuff, which is excessive (especially for a combat focused game) and I think is very off putting to a lot of people just starting. (One example being the area that Angry Joe basically lost it. :P) That and the final encounters need to be buffed quite a bit, they're way too easy for something that looks like it's going to be challenging.

I don't understand the need for a separate tutorial area (I'm not a fan of it). This seems to be a 'thing' for a lot of post-WoW MMOs. Tera's the only one I can think of that let you start in the actual game world and even they added a 'prologue' (that most people hated). You can still teach a total newcomer how to play within the non-instanced game itself and those who don't want to be bothered can just turn off hints/tips and hit the ground running.
    Last edited by Lane; 2014-03-10 at 02:11 PM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Which faction did you start with? I really liked the coldharbor starting zone. It wasn't as good as hutta in swtor or lotros starting zone but it was definitely better than most.
    I thought all of SWTORs starting zones were fantastic. The game shines before the slog of quest grind outside of the main story kicks in. A great starting zones combines the 'wow look at that' and 'ooooh pretty' with 'zomg, this questing is kinda fun'. WoW (current) does that, SWTOR does that, GW2 does it, a lot of games do it. Wildstar does not do it. It seems to be 90% 'oooh, pretty' and 10% 'wow this questing is terribad'. I don't think that mix, if it makes it to live, is going to do the game any favors.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account
    They got me hooked, now I want to play and don't have a key, pls halp Also almost couldn't get daughter away from my PC. Is there any info about release date or Q which they are aiming for?

I really do not get the love for the GW2 tutorials. I wish I could skip them. Especially if you manage to get unlucky with someone ahead of you and then you're forcefully gated from progressing until they finish, ugh, I hate that. >_< Granted, they do a good job of showing you exactly what the rest of the game is going to be like, but other than that they serve no purpose. The mobs don't drop any loot and I think you get maybe 1 EXP per kill. The sooner you're out of there the better.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    *SNIP*
    Like all tutorials they should really be a one and done deal. I prefer being dropped into the game and having 'tutorial' hard coded into the experience by ramping up ability acquisition during the initial questing experience. Something like the DK starting zone in WoW is much better than really any tutorial levels I've played. You would think adding a narrative like W* and ESO should make the experience better, but it's actually part of the problem. People just want to get on to the 'real' game. That being said, ESO's is more appropriate for it's actual narrative and the IP it comes from.

Wildstar as a new IP should be doing a much better job of providing a compelling story in the beginning than ripping off Demolition Man minus the seashells. Instead of watching a video of the starting experience I could have just rewatched that movie.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    I didn't get past Level 2 in ESO. I happily leveled three toons through the same starting zone in Wildstar and would again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I thought all of SWTORs starting zones were fantastic. The game shines before the slog of quest grind outside of the main story kicks in. A great starting zones combines the 'wow look at that' and 'ooooh pretty' with 'zomg, this questing is kinda fun'. WoW (current) does that, SWTOR does that, GW2 does it, a lot of games do it. Wildstar does not do it. It seems to be 90% 'oooh, pretty' and 10% 'wow this questing is terribad'. I don't think that mix, if it makes it to live, is going to do the game any favors.
    Yeah, they were all pretty great. Ord mantel just rubbed my fur the wrong way.

And yes, the starting zones in wildstar (both on the ship and the first zone)... ugh. I would rather do ord mantel for the 14th time
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Neos300 View Post
    I didn't get past Level 2 in ESO.
    Well, then you missed out. :P ESO improves exponentially after you get out of the Coldharbour tutorial.

While I may not like the tutorials and/or intros some games have, I can't believe how many "gamers" don't even give a game 15 minutes of their time. There are very, very few games I've ever played, MMO or otherwise, that had a great start. If I quit playing video games based on the first 5 minutes then I wouldn't be a gamer because almost none of them are that engaging that quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Well, then you missed out. :P ESO improves exponentially after you get out of the Coldharbour tutorial.

While I may not like the tutorials and/or intros some games have, I can't believe how many "gamers" don't even give a game 15 minutes of their time. There are very, very few games I've ever played, MMO or otherwise, that had a great start. If I quit playing video games based on the first 5 minutes then I wouldn't be a gamer because almost none of them are that engaging that quickly.
    This confuses me as well, by now, you should know fine well that you cannot judge a MMO until later levels.

With ESO, the game starts off pretty bad, but greatly improves with each level.

Regarding tutorials/starting zones, I tend to hate them all and just force myself through them. I would never judge a MMO on the first 5 levels.

The problem with Wildstar for me is all the questing in the game is boring and a massive grind. I'm sure end game pve will be fun, as the 5 mans I forced myself to get high enough level to do were fun. I can't level by just purely doing pve instances though, they get boring after so many runs.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-03-10 at 03:08 PM.