Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post
    It's incredibly hard to make something "new" that's liked though.

I remember watching in a dev interview with Bioware when Dragon Age was coming out how they wanted to do something "new" with Dwarves. From talking internally and with testers, they wanted to get away from the trope that they're all friendly and mine and drink beer. Trying to vastly move away from this was meant with resistance as then the idea of a dwarf was lost because it was so far removed. I can't remember what they wanted to do with them, but I know it was nothing like the trope they're normally associated with.

So, instead of moving too far away they kept the mining, drinking and fighting but added in another element. The caste system. Normally people see dwarves as jolly or friendly, but the ones in Dragon Age are dicks! If you're a duster or one of the lower classes you're seen as scum in their eyes. They said that taking a well known idea, but then adding a more "human" or real-life element to them made them feel more "real". I think it worked really well, that instead of just yet another eye-rolling "Oh look, it's a dwarf race, short fat and mining loving!" adding the Indian caste system to them made their race feel unique.

Now, how this relates to Wildstar. I'm a little disapointed there arn't more races. That or more unique ones. I'm not too keen on their being basically two human races but they seem unique enough and hopefully their building and ship styles will reflect this. Races like the rockmen are great. It's a shame they're not more orc-ish, but I can still live out my big burly brawler fantasy through them. The more agile and feral like race allow people to have that rogue feel while still staying unique. Even that rumoured mouse-like race gives the people that cute and furry race to play with.

I do feel though that their races are unique enough that they don't step on the toes of other MMOs. I'd love to see more alien races to play as though and i'd adore a Space Ork race! That might not happen till an exspansion, or maybe they're enemy NPCs, but I think anyone expecting there to be say a 3 legged 8 armed, no eyed 3 headed race that weilds fridges as weapons so that wildstar dosn't "clone" WoW is a fool. That's not aimed at you Kitty, just at people who keep saying "Wildstar copies WoW 100% so I hate it!" >_<

I'm sure they're will be more races added with expacs. This is just the vanilla version of the game. They are making more content instead of a ton of races at the start. I can pretty much guarantee you they will for sure add new races..why wouldn't they? It's a planet that has recently been discovered and there are seems to be plenty of races making their way to the planet to colonize it. I'll take the content they have over extra races right now.

Last edited by Sj; 2013-05-29 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakorath67 View Post
    MASSIVE PICTURES
    Reminds me so much of Jak and Daxter, as well as Ratchet and Clank. There's definately inspiration from WoW though and even hints of Borderlands, Torchlight and Warhammer 40k.

I really must stop looking in on this game, as too much hype makes Zaxlor a disapointed camper

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been wondering,if an explorer players uncover a secret entrance on the ground(like the pax east videos) will the other players around that area can go into the underground cave that has been uncovered by the explorer players and go through to explore it?
    Or will they be a phasing for that? hmmm

Oh and c'mon W* Wednesday, surprise us! :d
    Last edited by athlonmax; 2013-05-29 at 01:40 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by athlonmax View Post
    I've been wondering,if an explorer players uncover a secret entrance on the ground(like the pax east videos) will the other players around that area can go into the underground cave that has been uncovered by the explorer players and go through to explore it?
    Or will they be a phasing for that? hmmm
    I think It might be open for a few seconds before it closes again. I think I saw a video when an explorer entered a mountain through a hidden door, and it closed after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    I seriously disagree with anyone who thinks WoW is cartoony...
    You might disagree but it would still be an incorrect and false idea on your part.

The Warcraft series is intended to be tongue-n-cheek and cartoon-like. From the RTS series to present. The most "serious" the franchise becomes in-games is in the style of Pulp. Specifically, Western/American Pulp.

Warcraft is a riff on Warhammer... which is also pulp-y and humorous.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-05-29 at 01:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    I think It might be open for a few seconds before it closes again. I think I saw a video when an explorer entered a mountain through a hidden door, and it closed after a while.
    Yeah most probably,can't think of any other explanation. So okay time to guess what W* Wednesday going to show to us!

I'm hoping it's devspeak PvP video

I loved the cinematic trailers from WoW. They were very well done, and the visuals were stunning.

That being said, I really do love the animation work done by Carbine. The cinematic trailers are of high quality, and that is all that matters.

There is a great amount of detail that go into them, and I respect that.

They may not be as "real" looking as WoW cinematics or ESO cinematics, but the style fits Carbines budget and approach. The Pixar-like graphics allow for a much more comedic, Carbine-like, approach.
    I got a strong Disney vibe from the Wildstar cinematics, which isn't a bad thing. I wasn't surprised to find that the art team drew heavy inspiration from American and Japanese animation. I really enjoy the art style and humor of the game so far. I hope the gameplay is equally well done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Cassians are practically humans who wear a lot of make up.....
    Just wanted to clarify...

Cassians ARE humans. The Exiles humans and Cassians are the same race from the same planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    Just wanted to clarify...

Cassians ARE humans. The Exiles humans and Cassians are the same race from the same planet.
    I love the lore released so far about the Exile humans seperation from the Cassians.

*edit* Not been so immediately interested in an MMO's lore in a long time, only points I liked in Warcraft was how Grom Hellscream was the baddest of ass's and Arthas Menethil was a pussy.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2013-05-29 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I love the lore released so far about the Exile humans seperation from the Cassians.

*edit* Not been so immediately interested in an MMO's lore in a long time, only points I liked in Warcraft was how Grom Hellscream was the baddest of ass's and Arthas Menethil was a pussy.
    https://twitter.com/Team_WildStar/st...46801344507904

Lore/Story or whatever on the 3rd one lol..

https://twitter.com/Team_WildStar/st...46801344507904

Lore/Story or whatever on the 3rd one lol..
    He didn't say you had to pick one of the 3 he said you have 3 choices.

So go with the answer nobody bothers to figure out.

ALL OF THEM.

Also no new race revealed... grrr

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    It all began when the Exiles rebelled against a tax hike by throwing spice into the space docks of Bozz'Tone.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

If you'd like to discuss WoW lore, please take it to the WoW sub-forum; please keep the discussion on Wildstar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    He didn't say you had to pick one of the 3 he said you have 3 choices.

So go with the answer nobody bothers to figure out.

ALL OF THEM.

Also no new race revealed... grrr
    The twit said, A,B or 3 lol

Also some info on how the Medic resource system works.
    Last edited by athlonmax; 2013-05-29 at 02:31 AM.

The twit said, A,B or 3 lol

Also some info on how the Medic resource system works.
    I smell a lie brewing.

10+ Year Old Account
    C'mon WSW, i'm literally dying here lol....

C'mon WSW, i'm literally dying here lol....
    They say we are getting lore... but wouldn't a race reveal with their histories be lore?!?!! Never know with those wacky Devs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's really alarming how permeating the idea of that game created everything in the fantasy genre is. I guess it's a compliment to its success at what they were going for. Hopefully Wildstar can pull off a similar feat where all sorts of Sci Fi western fantasy themes are said to be Wildstar clones.

Though to be honest, I hate that it happens at all. I can envision a world in 8 years where having a scruffy, fighting, rebellious cadre of rascals who do various things in space while fighting the imperialistic society of villains is credited to only Wildstar and things like Firefly and Star Wars are long forgotten.

Humanity is depressing some times.
    That's not at all what I was trying to say. You are constantly trying to dismiss everything I said by "WoW didn't invent this, so Wildstar isn't copying WoW when they use it". I know WoW didn't invent any of the things I mentioned in my posts, I mean WoW is well known for blatantly referencing all kinds of things from literature, movies, other games, real life etc.

My point is that Wildstar is using a similar approach and uses many small things (like for example how the races look and feel) on purpose to make them specifically similar to WoW to attract the crowd from WoW by offering a familiar experience.

EDIT: To make it even clearer what my point it. I like was Wildstar is offering and I'm not trying to bash the game, but I have the feeling their strategy to sell the game is like: "Come to us, we offer everything you know and like about WoW, with some things you have been asking for years like player housing, while bringing in the cool action combat which everyone prizes from newer mmos." I like this concept and I'm going to buy the game if they don't screw up big time, but I'm not trying to tell myself they are being very original or innovative.
    Last edited by mmoc3e45b10508; 2013-05-29 at 06:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They say we are getting lore... but wouldn't a race reveal with their histories be lore?!?!! Never know with those wacky Devs.
    It's the time already? Is it Wednesday early morning in the States right now?