Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Forget PvP Thread....Going Ret PvE! And now, I need some input for sure!

Okey, Since I already PvP a lot on my Rogue I just felt I am not to pumped for more melee action.

And since guild lacks melee dps, I tought that it would be good to get a ret OS instead of prot.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/Nnikkj/advanced

W
    hat about specc and glyphs? After speccing I had one "flowing" point left. I did put it into Eye for an Eye, should be fine? What about the specc in general?

Glyphs? Where not sure about the Majors - Did pick Divinity cus it can be usefull. Not sure how cool plea is for ret but, well.

GEAR
    And the big thing - I did not even have a good ret chest, so sticking with the Prot from Beth. Will regem it and reforge, and I did not even have a pve shoulder so did just pickup whatever I had. And again, I had to logout so I will slap on enchants, tinkers etc today when I am on.

Gonna get Valor bracers from my alt today when its caped, so thats not an issue. But what about the rest? I did just reforge so I would get hit caped and soft expertise caped. But for some reason I cant see that I am hit caped now but I do have 852 so, should be fine i guess?

What I not have done is to check what parts I should keep as they are and what parts I should just reforge, but I assume I will have to run some calcs on that.

Tips about gear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty basic your stat needs are strength strength strength as main stats go.

As for secondary stats mastery is your top bet followed by crit & lastly haste.

For absolute values I suggest searching the sticky pages at the top of MMO-champ's forums.

Generally speaking if an item has a decent amount more strength on it its an upgrade as far as armor goes, for weapons be sure to check top end damage though.

Also remember RNG procs are a major bitch for ret, if you get them you will do alright & be around the mid of the pack. if you don't get them your dps, survivability & fun during play will fall to complete shit because you will be stuck watching & waiting on cool downs.

Lastly i would not suggest trying pvp as ret, unless you have godlike luck or are a wold class player with world class players willing to carry you you won't make it far. Ret is just to easily countered by too many classes/specs & has an anemic toolkit while lacking mechanics it needs. DK's and warriors are your best bet if your want to play a melee plate wearing pvp dps.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    Well - I did do some Ret PvP - But realized that its more fun as Holy , so I did just skip that part, ha.

Anyway . Could say that I first in first reforge Haste until I get Hit/Soft Exp cap? And when I cant do that, I go for Crit? Try to keep mastery intact at the start? I will look into that later today.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prime glyphs:
    Crusader -> Exorcism

Major glyphs:
    Divine plea -> Holy wrath
    Divinity -> Rebuke

Spec: ret has 3 free points - doesn't matter there to put them. I prefer: 2 pts in selfless healer and 1 pt in eternal glory. Your choice works too.

Hit cap: you need 841 hit rating. Armory doesn't account for your racial 1%.
    Expertise: you need 16 expertise (4XXish rating) - cause you get 10 from glyphed seal of truth/righteousness

Reforging: to mastery where possible, then crit (or haste - it is debatable in 4.2)
    Gems: strength all the way, unless you have 20+ strength bonus (in this case stick to stat priority: 20 strength + 20 hit(if uncapped)->mastery->crit/haste->stamina).

More on reforging: if you have stats like mastery + haste/crit on piece of gear - you can reforge haste/crit to hit or expertise, and reduce hit/expertise elsewhere to min/max.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2011-08-16 at 07:49 AM. Reason: addendum

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linneeaa View Post
    Okey, Since I already PvP a lot on my Rogue I just felt I am not to pumped for more melee action.

And since guild lacks melee dps, I tought that it would be good to get a ret OS instead of prot.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/Nnikkj/advanced

W
    hat about specc and glyphs? After speccing I had one "flowing" point left. I did put it into Eye for an Eye, should be fine? What about the specc in general?

Glyphs? Where not sure about the Majors - Did pick Divinity cus it can be usefull. Not sure how cool plea is for ret but, well.

GEAR
    And the big thing - I did not even have a good ret chest, so sticking with the Prot from Beth. Will regem it and reforge, and I did not even have a pve shoulder so did just pickup whatever I had. And again, I had to logout so I will slap on enchants, tinkers etc today when I am on.

Gonna get Valor bracers from my alt today when its caped, so thats not an issue. But what about the rest? I did just reforge so I would get hit caped and soft expertise caped. But for some reason I cant see that I am hit caped now but I do have 852 so, should be fine i guess?

What I not have done is to check what parts I should keep as they are and what parts I should just reforge, but I assume I will have to run some calcs on that.

Tips about gear?
    Standard Ret spec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sbhMZMZfbGsdkszfz:MRoMR

Last Major Glyph and the 3 Minor you can use what you want. Do not take selfless healer and make sure both points are in e4e. Stat weights are in discussion still there is no clear cut winner. Strength -> Hit -> Exp -> Mastery and then Haste/Crit are floating fairly even with each other no one really knows for sure which is best there is a lot of discussion but no absolute yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Deleted
    drop one from eye for an eye and one into acts of sacrifice so you can use cleanse to remove slows/snares from you and alows you to cast hand of sacrifice to assist healers more often.

thats an optional change to talents but the rest seem good.
    you have 27 expertise one of the cap reforging something with a small expertise already to make it drop only one point(cloak) may get you to 26 and gain you some stats since you need to get to 8% hit as your only at 7.3% at the moment.

as a general rule if an item does not contain mastery but does have haste or crit, reforge the crit or haste into matery.

the choice between crit and haste is up to you some like more crit some like more haste there are reasons for both and the haste reasoning is as a minor counter to the rng of aow procs as more haste = more melle hits = more aow procs so less chance of wasted globals.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Requital said is pretty much all you need. Good luck and have fun. Pray to the rng gods for more dps! xD
    I used to like WoW. I still do, but I used to, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban dictionary
    Terms such as "baddie" do nothing to help remove the socially-inept, tone-deaf loser stigma stuck on gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Does it matter? PvP matters as much as pet battles.

how the heck do you have 27expertice? you should have 16 and use glyph of seal of truth. you can easily get 4-5 mastery (8-10% more damage on crusader strike and templars verdict) instead of 5% crit on crusader strike.

Apart from gear your reforging and glyphs has alot of change to be done.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    you some stats since you need to get to 8% hit as your only at 7.3% at the moment.
    I am spacegoat - racial gives me 1%

Did noticed that i forgot SoT buff - Gonna sort that reforge out.

Thinking about to go 2/3 Crit and 1/3 Crit haste to ease the RNG....Well, have to look into this.

And oh, Engi head with haste and master cogwheels or mending whispers? More str but still....
    Last edited by mmoc88588e6bcf; 2011-08-16 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Prime glyphs:
    Crusader -> Exorcism

Major glyphs:
    Divine plea -> Holy wrath
    Divinity -> Rebuke

Spec: ret has 3 free points - doesn't matter there to put them. I prefer: 2 pts in selfless healer and 1 pt in eternal glory. Your choice works too.

Hit cap: you need 841 hit rating. Armory doesn't account for your racial 1%.
    Expertise: you need 16 expertise (4XXish rating) - cause you get 10 from glyphed seal of truth/righteousness

Reforging: to mastery where possible, then crit (or haste - it is debatable in 4.2)
    Gems: strength all the way, unless you have 20+ strength bonus (in this case stick to stat priority: 20 strength + 20 hit(if uncapped)->mastery->crit/haste->stamina).

More on reforging: if you have stats like mastery + haste/crit on piece of gear - you can reforge haste/crit to hit or expertise, and reduce hit/expertise elsewhere to min/max.
    Don't listen to this, exorcism > crusader strike glyph and theres only 1 valid spec and it certainly doesn't contain selfless healer and eternal glory
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjji View Post
    Don't listen to this, exorcism > crusader strike glyph and theres only 1 valid spec and it certainly doesn't contain selfless healer and eternal glory
    Dude, "->" means CHANGE TO.
    Also there's no such thing as ULTIMATE VALID SPEC for ret. You have 3 free points which you can use either for MINOR personal DPS gain (E4E) or utility (SH)

15+ Year Old Account
    Dude, "->" means CHANGE TO.
    Also there's no such thing as ULTIMATE VALID SPEC for ret. You have 3 free points which you can use either for MINOR personal DPS gain (E4E) or utility (SH)
    If you are using selfless healer and throwing heals your raid is in more trouble than it should be. You should be dpsing selfless healer is not worth taking ever, acts of sacrifice is only worth taking on Baleroc for sacing spriest soakers. There are not 3 points floating around for Ret in fact there are a minimum of 2 you should absolutely always take Sacred Shield.

If you insist on wasting 2 points in selfless healer that is your choice but that is not an optimal spec and shouldn't be recommended it should be used based on situation or guild request.
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    If you are using selfless healer and throwing heals your raid is in more trouble than it should be.
    Now that is a helluva lot of assumptions. Please stop.
    You should be dpsing selfless healer is not worth taking ever
    Utility is always useful. E4E is not great talent. It provides MINOR dps gain in SOME encounters. I just prefer utility - there's NOTHING wrong with it.
    There are not 3 points floating around for Ret in fact there are a minimum of 2 you should absolutely always take Sacred Shield.
    Yes, there ARE 3 floating points - where you put it is completely irrelevant for ret performance - dps wise. I could go Gardian's Favor instead of E4E too and it would be VALID choice. Sacred Shield is NOT a must. It's for survival for sure, but not required in PVE.
    If you insist on wasting 2 points in selfless healer that is your choice but that is not an optimal spec and shouldn't be recommended it should be used based on situation or guild request.
    1. I do not insist. That's just my preference.
    2. It is OPTIMAL for me. There are NO UNIVERSAL spec.
    3. I didn't recommend it.
    4. Yes, it should be based on situation or guild request - now what was this all about then?

Deleted
    Better now? Check armory.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now that is a helluva lot of assumptions. Please stop.

Utility is always useful. E4E is not great talent. It provides MINOR dps gain in SOME encounters. I just prefer utility - there's NOTHING wrong with it.

Yes, there ARE 3 floating points - where you put it is completely irrelevant for ret performance - dps wise. I could go Gardian's Favor instead of E4E too and it would be VALID choice. Sacred Shield is NOT a must. It's for survival for sure, but not required in PVE.

1. I do not insist. That's just my preference.
    2. It is OPTIMAL for me. There are NO UNIVERSAL spec.
    3. I didn't recommend it.
    4. Yes, it should be based on situation or guild request - now what was this all about then?
    I'm going to assume you aren't too far into Firelands if you don't think SS is required but that is perfectly fine you keep with your sub optimal spec.

FYI there isn't one encounter in Firelands where e4e does not provide a potential DPS gain.

So first you decide to take selfless healer cause aperantly your healers are shit, but you don't take sacred shield which...also helps healers
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but 7/2/32 is the cookie cutter PVE ret spec.
    I used to like WoW. I still do, but I used to, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban dictionary
    Terms such as "baddie" do nothing to help remove the socially-inept, tone-deaf loser stigma stuck on gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Does it matter? PvP matters as much as pet battles.

Deleted
    Yeah yeah, And yes, i Where just recently able to work on the Wildhammer/Therazane rep due to the faction change bug.

Well, slightly over 8% now ( But really, shouldnt my racial give me 1%? Cus when I look ingame now, its the same as the armory....)

If you really don't want to go through the hassle of reforging and crunching numbers like I did back at Cata release. Grab the addon ReforgeLite from curseclient or curse.com. It's weights are a bit different than my calculated ones but the glory of it is that you can change them, I upped the values of mastery a bit higher than crit. Also when you get reforgelite go to the reforger and open up the reforge menu, it'll auto pop up. Load up the Paladin -> Ret weights (you'll need to delete the expertise cap perimeter and remake it for about 451 rating hard cap to go with Glyph) hit calculate and it'll show you gains/losses in stats. I think from there you'll click the button under the changes (I think its 'show'), hit reforge and it will cycle through your armor and reforge it all for you. I used this to achieve 8.02% hit and 27 exp (after glyph, my armor has lots of expertise atm that I can't get rid of: 1 over isn't terrible imo). That's your best bet for reforging because it's just became a huge hassle for me until I grabbed that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to assume you aren't too far into Firelands if you don't think SS is required but that is perfectly fine you keep with your sub optimal spec.
    Assume all you want - if you are out of arguments. SS is not required still.
    FYI there isn't one encounter in Firelands where e4e does not provide a potential DPS gain.
    FYI I prefer utility. I do not suffer from dps-tunnel-vision. I want to be the best player - not the best dps. I'm not fighting training dummies in Stormwind. I'm in a raid with other people. So I trade minor dps gain of e4e for some RAID-WISE utility. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjji View Post
    So first you decide to take selfless healer cause aperantly your healers are shit, but you don't take sacred shield which...also helps healers
    So I don't take sacred shield (which has 1 minute cd btw) - that means - my healers are gods, right?
    But they are not gods - and sometimes some shit happens and someone needs a quick heal and I have 3 HP - I provide it instantly. So yeah I lose some dps (not that big a loss btw) but no one dies. Which in my view is the best outcome. I also provide LoH on demand (and lose some dps too btw). Cause no one cares what your dps is if it's a wipe. All you need to provide dps-wise - is ENOUGH dps. You are paladin not a rogue. If I wanted to be #1 dps in recount I would be playing some other class, like my hunter or rogue or DK.

P.S. Dps gain from e4e is so minor compared to what RNG can do to your dps. It's funny how many advocates of e4e there are. Considering that e4e is also RNG based.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2011-08-17 at 08:13 AM.