Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I'm going to 2nd this one. Lenovo is making great machines. You can get and i5 4GB ram and an Nvidia GPU for under 1k. That's pretty killer.

Deleted
    Vaio series has never disapointed me. I got no problems whatsoever and he is still fast as lightning. I even don't threat him nicely. I never close him, I take him everywhere I go, I smoke behind the screen and I only go to the shop for cleaning his insides once a year.

Asus is good choice if you want to also play games on the laptop so you're kinda locked there on few possible models. MSI, Acer, Dell, HP and Sony are other options but none offer quite right setup at the price you want.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    For $1000 you can get
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246132
    which has a much better cpu (quad core instead of dual core)

or for $850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215123
    which has a decent resolution... i7 quad core cpu... though i think the 6650m gpu is a bit behind the 555m, still plenty for wow though.
    Be careful what you suggest more Cores are not always better the only way you get a full benefit from multiple cores is when your running large multi-threaded applications. The CPU speed is pretty low base speed(2.0GHz) all things considering, granted this model does offer Turbo Boost for the CPU bringing it up to (2.9Ghz) which is around where you would want it for the work he is doing but Laptops already run quite hot and are prone to overheating so he would probably require better cooling if he wanted to run Turbo Boost.
    What is magic, If not the expression of a human's desire to create something from nothing directed solely by their own mind.
    One may even describe such an occurrence as art. - Mr.E

Deleted
    if you want to go some little alternative ways, you can get a laptop with a decent screen but if you want a bigger screen you can just keep one at home/room w/e you spent your free time, you can just buy a bigger one to keep there and then hook that up to your laptop, thats sort of the thing i do

Quote Originally Posted by Repeant View Post
    Be careful what you suggest more Cores are not always better the only way you get a full benefit from multiple cores is when your running large multi-threaded applications. The CPU speed is pretty low base speed(2.0GHz) all things considering, granted this model does offer Turbo Boost for the CPU bringing it up to (2.9Ghz) which is around where you would want it for the work he is doing but Laptops already run quite hot and are prone to overheating so he would probably require better cooling if he wanted to run Turbo Boost.
    That is what all laptops do, dual and quad core, and will not make quad core any worse because of it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeant View Post
    You don't need better cooling to run turbo boost... and turbo boost is automatic, you don't have to enable it.
    These days almost anyone will get more performance from a quad core than an equivalent dual core.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    That is what all laptops do, dual and quad core, and will not make quad core any worse because of it.
    I was never saying that dual was better then quad core or trying to insult you,it's just the way you phrased it implied more cores is better.

Personally I prefer quad-hex cores because it gives you more to work with, once you start allocating programs and processes to an individual cores or run multiple programs at the same time it comes in damn handy to have an the extra cores.

You don't need better cooling to run turbo boost... and turbo boost is automatic, you don't have to enable it.
    These days almost anyone will get more performance from a quad core than an equivalent dual core.
    Edit: just read your post sorry Taekvideo
    I was under the impression that Intels turbo-boost was controlled manually or automatically but in anycase, higher frequency means higher speed so that means the device is working harder, which in turn means more heat. And to gain any meaningful increase in speed you have to increase the Voltage sent to that device which also adds to the heat. So even if turbo-boost tweaks the CPU speeds without changing any of the voltages it will still produce more heat.

In any case good luck with your search elletarah the Laptop you picked out is probably the better of the bunch on Newegg for the price range, but keep looking I hope you school offers leases on systems for you to use.
    Last edited by Repeant; 2011-08-16 at 10:59 AM.
    What is magic, If not the expression of a human's desire to create something from nothing directed solely by their own mind.
    One may even describe such an occurrence as art. - Mr.E