Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Super Street Fighter IV

I'm surprised there's little to no discussion going on about this game, especially since it's probably the current most popular game in it's genre. I just picked it up, quite fun, though I can tell it's learning curve is one hell of a curve.

Anyone else been playing SSF4 lately? I need something to do in between getting my ass kicked by my friend playing Ken

I play on PSN. I main dudley, but I also play gouken and fuerte (blame the bullcat and gipie replays)

You play Guy, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Still learning (it's way different than MvC3), but I haven't found the right character yet. I'll probably main Cody.

I play the game on my 3DS, one of my favorite characters to play with is Abel

please keep this site mmo-based only. thanks.

thread locked.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdraaaaage View Post

thread locked.
    Someone thinks they're a mod today...

15+ Year Old Account

thread locked.
    Please keep your witty comments to yourself. This is the Off Topic -> Video Games section; anything video game related that's not WoW goes here.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

thread locked.
    I don't even--

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I'm surprised there's little to no discussion going on about this game, especially since it's probably the current most popular game in it's genre. I just picked it up, quite fun, though I can tell it's learning curve is one hell of a curve.

Anyone else been playing SSF4 lately? I need something to do in between getting my ass kicked by my friend playing Ken
    Son, I am disappoint. You should know that I play with all of the fighting game threads I hit up.

See avatar for my main since Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Haters gonna hate.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Deleted
    I like the gameplay but the graphics just don't sit right with me, the cell shading effect from MVC3 suits it way more, the 3d models cheapen the whole experience, at least for me.

can't wait for the twin nerfs in the coming patch, hope it wasn't rushed

My main has been Ibuki since 3rd Strike. I did also play Sakura in Alpha 2 Gold but I've seem to have lost it all with her. I need to start practicing because I'm hoping for some Ibuki/Sakura in SF x Tekken.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppasan View Post
    You play Guy, right?
    Yeah, I feel I'm slowly getting better, but damn, that Ken, feels like he's got everything not mention Guy's Dash > Leg Slide doesn't avoid projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    Son, I am disappoint. You should know that I play with all of the fighting game threads I hit up.

See avatar for my main since Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Haters gonna hate.
    Well, I know you do, but aside from the few topics, which coincidentally are mostly made by you, I haven't seen much of a fan base on MMO-champ for fighting games.

And of course I love Guy, but, especially after reading into Dan and where he actually came from, there is no doubt Dan = the Man.

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 07:39 AM ----------

Does anyone know where I could pick up a cheap decent arcade game controller? Don't really want to get one from ebay, but I called the gamestops around me, and none have any. Pumping out some of these combos can be a pain with a PS3 controller

Also, gotta love Guy's arcade mode ending, "BISON, LET HER GO, OR I'LL TOTALLY SMASH YOUR RIDE!"

Yeah, I feel I'm slowly getting better, but damn, that Ken, feels like he's got everything not mention Guy's Dash > Leg Slide doesn't avoid projectiles.
    Guy's Leg Slide is generally a bad idea unless you are trying to priority sweep someone. The Leg Slide has hellacious start-up and recovery. It's almost like giving the opponent a free combo. The trick to Guy is becoming a master baiter (teehee). His target combos are stupid fast, and can be linked from just about any crouching or standing normal. I hope you like playing footsies, broseph.

Use this match for reference: Combofiend (Guy) vs Flash Metroid (Zangief)

While Combofiend did lose the match, the beginning shenanigans really show what Guy is capable of. I'm really sad that he lost that momentum in the following sets.

Well, I know you do, but aside from the few topics, which coincidentally are mostly made by you, I haven't seen much of a fan base on MMO-champ for fighting games.
    The general consensus on fighting games? "street fighter is gay"

And of course I love Guy, but, especially after reading into Dan and where he actually came from, there is no doubt Dan = the Man.
    Indeed, my friend.

Does anyone know where I could pick up a cheap decent arcade game controller? Don't really want to get one from ebay, but I called the gamestops around me, and none have any. Pumping out some of these combos can be a pain with a PS3 controller

Also, gotta love Guy's arcade mode ending, "BISON, LET HER GO, OR I'LL TOTALLY SMASH YOUR RIDE!"
    There are two excellent sticks that you can get from GameStop for $40 and $60. Both can be found for Xbox 360 and PS3.

The Street Fighter IV Standard Edition Stick is a decent beginner arcade stick. It comes with fairly good parts, and is easily moddable. The joystick, the buttons, the art...everything is replaceable. I bought mine a few years back, and I've dropped new parts in, but kept the same look because I actually like it. I'll post a picture of mine in a second. $40

The WWE All Stars Brawl Stick is a fantastic beginner stick, and is also completely moddable. Not to mention that it comes with higher quality parts than the Street Fighter IV Standard Edition Stick. $60

If I had to compare the two, I'd actually recommend the Brawl Stick due to it's better quality parts and overall design. While they look the same, subtle differences in machining quality and overall composition make the Brawl Stick a definite winner. BUT that's only taking the stock designs into consideration. Either one of the sticks are capable of being much much more.
    Last edited by Kankuri; 2011-08-20 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks for the links Kankuri, I'll definitely be taking a look at the two sticks, at least gamestop usually ships faster than ebay.

As for Guy's combos, from a few videos I saw, they are fast as hell, not to mention the juggling he can do in a corner is just amazing. However! When have six basic attack buttons, and only four easily accessible buttons on a PS3 controller, you can see why I'm in need of one of those arcade sticks.

And I'm not sure why people would generally think negative about fighting games. I've been wanting to get into a more competitive genre, WoW PvP is dead to me, I straight up hate FPS games, but I picked up a couple fighting games, and I just can't put them down now.

Deleted
    Everyone knows Sagat is the man.

Deleted
    Makoto gonna choke a bitch.

Thanks for the links Kankuri, I'll definitely be taking a look at the two sticks, at least gamestop usually ships faster than ebay.

As for Guy's combos, from a few videos I saw, they are fast as hell, not to mention the juggling he can do in a corner is just amazing. However! When have six basic attack buttons, and only four easily accessible buttons on a PS3 controller, you can see why I'm in need of one of those arcade sticks.

And I'm not sure why people would generally think negative about fighting games. I've been wanting to get into a more competitive genre, WoW PvP is dead to me, I straight up hate FPS games, but I picked up a couple fighting games, and I just can't put them down now.
    No problem, man. I know how it is to be a baller on a budget.

Guy is a solid character, but some of his match-ups against other characters are rather iffy. I know for a fact that Juri, Guile, Rufus, Yun, Yang, and Chun Li can style on his ass all day due to many instant anti-airs, projectile pressure, frame advantage, and quick recovery. The problem with Guy is getting in, and it's about damn near impossible to do that on some characters. Concerning Ken, all you really need to do is bait the H.Shoryukens like crazy. Hell, you can even bait Hadokens and QCF + HP to leap across the screen and punish him. H.Shoryuken leaves him wide open with a sign on his back that says, "Place foot here." Jumping is always a bad idea with Guy due to his super floaty hang-time.

My personal favorite fighting games:
    TMNT: Tournament Fighters
    Clayfighters 64
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Capcom vs SNK 2
    Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
    BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Super Pocket Gem Fighter
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    X Men vs Street Fighter
    Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
    The King of Fighters '98
    Tekken Tag Tournament
    Super Dragon Ball Z
    Street Fighter III: Third Strike

And about a hundred more.

I'm not too worried about character matchups. Obviously I may face some people who's character matchup is in their favor, but I always overcame those problems be being much better than the other player

I'm just now finding the insane usefullness of Guy's Elbow Drop, can bait focus attacks, anti air's, and can just generally throw em off. Also found his other elbow attack, who's name escapes me (input being QCB HP) works perfectly to punish someone spamming projectiles.

Also, found my old SNES, and borrowed my friend's Final Fight 3 game to kill some time, any thoughts on other decent fighting games for SNES?