Mana issues healing raids

I was holy till a few weeks ago and currently am Disc.

I am having considerable issues with maintaining mana efficiency being disc. I have done a one or two fireland runs and a few BWD and BOT runs. To be honest in BWD and BOT I have a few mana issues. But in Firelands I am getting to the stage that when the boss is at 30% HP I am running out of mana or am out of mana and I have blown a cool down or two - Hymm and Shadow fiend. Usually i pot at the stage of 30% HP.

I am assuming more than anything it is my play style and I am spending way too much mana on over healing DPS and tanks.

But if you guys could take a look at the gear and stuff and tell me if I am missing some important stat or I should reforge differently it would be appreciated.

Armory is: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Zafra/advanced

The reason the robes are not enchanted is because I need 5 valor points for the 378 Ilevel piece which I shall get today and i plan on enchanting that with peerless stats.

I have a feeling I am roughly 300 spirit under what I should be.

First of all, I feel that your spec is suboptimal for raiding. Renew isn't exactly Disc's go to spell, so Improved Renew feels rather useless (or at least not an efficient way to spend 2 talent points). Definitely get 3/3 points into Divine Fury, and I suggest dropping Desperate Prayer. If you're having mana issues, 2 points into Train of Thought would help also (and make sure you have Inner Focus macroed to the spells that use it. Makes it a lot easier to use). 2/2 Focused Will and 3/3 Inner Sanctum are also not terribly necessary (though Focused Will may arguably be useful for some selective fights, but shouldn't really be needed for any normal FL fights in my opinion), and the points can definitely be used elsewhere (2/2 Inspiration, 2/2 Soul Warding, points into Darkness for example). My only real complaint regarding glyphs is your prime glyph, Flash Heal, unless you're solely a tank healer. If you're a raid healer, definitely go with the Prayer of Healing glyph.
    The spec I suggest for you (which can easily be used for both tank and raid healing): http://wowtal.com/#k=veN3nvAm.b0w.priest.-Lr3qn

The amount of spirit you're running with seems fine for normal FL. I suggest popping your fiend the first time in the fight when you're sitting at around 70-80% mana, ideally when you have intellect procs up (like Power Torrent, Lightweave). And like I said, make sure (if you haven't already) you macro Inner Focus to the spells that use it. Do you bubble spam? How well do you track Raptures? I advise using an addon to track Raptures to time your shields, which may help out your mana a bit.

Deleted
    ^^ What he said...

You should really get Train of Thought, it helps a lot more than you'd think from just reading the talen description. Quick fix would be to drop focused will for it.

Also get 2 piece t12 asap.

Deleted
    Priests are balanced around using Shadowfiend during fights. Try to use your Manahymn right after popping the fiend. Keep penance and PoM on CD and try to get rapture every 12 sec.
    Don't use Flash heal unless you have to. Greater Heal is great and nearly as mana efficient as Heal (only if you use Inner Focus and ToT). Combatlogs would be usefull, maybe you're using the wrong abilities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Disc is extremely manaeffective now, I finished hc Shannox on maxmana again. Most normal modes I also exit at full bar. While topping the hps chart ofc
    Keys to disc manaregen:
    Int >= spirit from a regen standpoint. Yes.
    3/3 mental agi + inner will (I only have 1/3 to have points for survival talents and still can manage)
    Rapture proc as often as you can. This means you must break a shield every 12s or as close to this as you can (in practice, breaking a shield every ~17s on bossfights is good). Install a rapture ICD tracker addon if you have to and do not reshield the tank just before the icd is over.
    Combine SFiend+Hymn of Hope if you can.
    Spec train of tought 2/2 and macro Inner Focus to GH/PoH at least.
    SoS 2/2 is not needed, you can remove 1 point from that pretty safely.
    2pcT12 is good, yes.
    Glyph of flash heal is poop, as is flash heal itself. Try not to use FH, it's only good if the tank is in imminent danger and penance is on cd. Use the PoH glyph instead.
    Don't use renew. Only if you have to move and the target has weakened soul on him.
    Don't pop PoM on cooldown unless most charges WILL be used. That's rare and mostly only happens during periodic aoe.
    Power Infusion yourself when you know you'll need to spam poh/gh extensively in the next short timeframe.
    Last edited by Zka; 2011-08-18 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    I have a feeling I am roughly 300 spirit under what I should be.
    i have a feeling that your over 2,4k spirit is perfectly enough

spec: switch focused will for train of thought, then macro tot to greater heal and prayer of healing (i wont say flash, some might thought).

glyph of flash heal - haha it explains so much, do you spam flash heal? stop, untill you will be fine with mana. best way to unlearn spamming it? - remove it from our bindings for a week. use glyphs of prayer of healing instead.

stats-wise gear looks fine, id go for more mastery but its very personal. i just hope that with such a low mastery you dont use shields too much.
    i see you went for wrists/ring/wand for valor points. thats confusing, you might wanted to go for 2 set pieces to get the mana-related bonus.

it would be so much easier to say something seeing your logs (or even copied from recount healing done by spell), what spells you use or how much you gain from yuur raptures/leech. as for now, judging on the flash heal glyph, i can say that this might be the biggest issue - flash heal is not your friend as long as you have mana issues.
    (for those who like flash heal and dont have mana issues - i only target my words at those who seriously cry about mana, so dont get mad at me!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Disc is extremely manaeffective now, I finished hc Shannox on maxmana again. Most normal modes I also exit at full bar. While topping the hps chart ofc
    Keys to disc manaregen:
    Int >= spirit from a regen standpoint. Yes.
    3/3 mental agi + inner will (I only have 1/3 to have points for survival talents and still can manage)
    Rapture proc as often as you can. This means you must break a shield every 12s or as close to this as you can (in practice, breaking a shield every ~17s on bossfights is good). Install a rapture ICD tracker addon if you have to and do not reshield the tank just before the icd is over.
    Combine SFiend+Hymn of Hope if you can.
    Spec train of tought 2/2 and macro Inner Focus to GH/PoH at least.
    SoS 2/2 is not needed, you can remove 1 point from that pretty safely.
    2pcT12 is good, yes.
    Glyph of flash heal is poop, as is flash heal itself. Try not to use FH, it's only good if the tank is in imminent danger and penance is on cd. Use the PoH glyph instead.
    Don't use renew. Only if you have to move and the target has weakened soul on him.
    Don't pop PoM on cooldown unless most charges WILL be used. That's rare and mostly only happens during periodic aoe.
    Power Infusion yourself when you know you'll need to spam poh/gh extensively in the next short timeframe.
    Hi there Zka,
    your mana-conserving tips seem to help me as well. While watching at your armory, I was wondering why you were totally reforging to haste, I'm confusing myself atm while healing normal mode 10 man FL, I'm running oom near the end of the fight so the final ~15-20% are really tight for me, which shouldnt be needed and I often find myself wishing PoH would be faster. Running with a holy paladin and either a Holy priest or a Resto shaman, so usually helping or mainly on the tanks but I find myself healing the raid alot. Ofc on Baleroc I'm purely rotating on sharddps and tanks. Doing pretty well, considering my gear and that of the other healers usually op top or close 2nd (besides baleroc). Would this be a better option for me? If not, what would?

The spec advice above is well founded and should help you out quite a bit. In terms of play, don't top people off, just keep them alive. Also, don't neglect your cooldowns.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm haste geared because that is pretty good stat for 10mans where you often need to switch targets and stuff. Usually I'm on tanks and haste is good for that. Also, I gear for the tight spots in the encounter, when I really need to spam poh/gh, haste is usually the best tps stat.

Manage your rapture CD with an CD tracker and make sure you're constantly using Inner focus on CD too, PI will help. Lots of tools to help you manage your mana in Disc, just have to know how to use them

I was running about 2100 spirit and was barely having mana issues, only on Baleroc was I running into issues (mostly due to my own stupidity). But I upped my Spirit a bit to give me a little buffer, still not comfortable with lower than 2200 Spirit right now until my gear gets a lot better.

My disc spec changed recently as a test because of someone's recommendation on this form for an AA/A spec with 2 into darkness going to try that for a bit but you're more than welcome to check out my gear/spec.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Verth/simple
    Last edited by Verth Aeyta; 2011-08-19 at 12:23 AM.