I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

New Monitor Resolution is bad for video?

I recently purchased a new monitor and I am trying to figure why the picture is so pixelated when watching movies. Images look amazing and are at a level of detail that are extremely nice...but video is just terrible.

I did full screen test of Rango and of Game of Thrones (ep.1); both in standard definition. I put both on a USB card so I could play the same thing from different devices for testing.

.....The resolution on my wife's POS laptop with a 13.5" LCD display is fine via WMP. Couldn't detect any pixelation.
    .....The resolution on my 37" LCD TV (via my PS3) is slightly pixelated but not enough to really notice.
    .....The resolution on my new 22" monitor is pixelated to the point of being disfigured on WMP. If I shrink the image a fair amount it is fine...but full screen looks like crap.

Any ideas or help you can offer?

What resolution is your monitor?
    What resolution are the videos?

Some monitors suck at using resolutions lower than their maximum, and some suck when stretching videos at a different aspect ratio.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Your new monitor is definitely running at a higher resolution than both your television (if the content is SD) and of course your wife's laptop. Thus you are stretching the image less on those two, there is also the issue of aspect ratio. I'm not a massive expert though.
    I'm using a 27" monitor and 1080p looks stretched and pixellated if I whack it full screen because I'm running at 2560 by 1440 pixels.
    Last edited by Beasty; 2011-08-19 at 06:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
    Your new monitor is definitely running at a higher resolution than both your television (if the content is SD) and of course your wife's laptop. Thus you are stretching the image less on those two, I'm not a massive expert though.
    pretty much this.
    want pixel-perfect quality? get HD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
    I'm using a 27" monitor and 1080p looks stretched and pixellated if I whack it full screen because I'm running at 2560 by 1440 pixels.
    With a decent resize filter and settings in a decent media player (MPC-HC), you should definitly not be expericneing any stretching nor pixelation.

I guess your screen it's a 1080p screen because your LCD TV should be a 720p if its just abit crap( Or you connecting it with a scart cable on a 720/1080p screen).
    Ofc the player plays a big role but if you strech something from 480p to 1080p thats 5-6times the amount off pixels (480p=350k 1080p=2mil) you will see some difference.

So i guess you need to start buying stuff in 720/1080p
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!