10+ Year Old Account

PS3 or 360 - Better quality games

Let me begin by saying that I've recently purchased a PS3 to finally play some of the Sony-only games along with replacing my old DVD players. I've owned an XBox 360 since release and have a moderate-high quality computer.

My main question is, with the vast array of new titles upcoming, should I look to purchasing them for the PS3 or 360? Some games, like Mass Effect 3, will be bought for my pc as I have played the entire series on a computer. Others like Gears of War 3 or Call of Duty I have always played on my 360, would there be a difference of quality if I bought them for the PS3? I've thus far only played Metal Gear Solid 4, and the graphics/resolution is outstanding, is that essentially the base for PS3 games?

Secondly, I don't own XBox LIVE because I wont pay for two active gaming subscriptions at the same time (WoW being the only one I'm involved in at the moment). I know the PSN is free, which could be a deciding factor for some of the multiplayer titles, but that is a secondary deciding point.

In short: in terms of picture quality, which system would be ideal for the new game lineup?

(Note: I use a standard-definition TV to play console games on, but have been considering hooking them up to my HD monitor.)
    (Something more intelligent than "[XBox 360/PS3] is crap!" would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks for any and all feedback.

First of all Gears of War is exclusive to Xbox since always . As to other games...normaly ps3 has better hardware inside but most devs dont take advantage of that, beside Sony's 1st party devs, cause ofc Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 look leet. Big advantage is that you have a single disc (blu ray) and u dont need to swap dvds , like 3 times for LA Noire for example.
    Usualy games are equal, sometimes better on that sometimes better on the other one, altho little differences. As i said the advantage of ps3 is a single disc for every game. The only game that i know it has better quality on xbox is COD , so get that one if you must, rest id go with ps3 version.
    Last edited by Xythez; 2011-08-20 at 03:51 PM.

Depends what type of games you're looking for.
    Personally i prefer the ps3 exclusives (god of war series, little big planet series etc)
    But the control on playstation sucks ass compared to the 360 controller.

I own both, but find myself on the ps3 more, despite the crap controller.
    But as you said, without xbox live you lose a lot of the xbox appeal.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a fanboy flamefest.

OT: I prefer Xbox games myself. Maybe it's because I can't be arsed to buy another console, who knows. The picture quality for the PS3 is clearly better but, with an HDTV and HDMI cables, your Xbox will look pretty damn good. While I'm jealous of PS3 owners since there are some darn cool titles for PS3, I'm happy with my console of choice.

Rathalir Emberlight of the Crystal Desert realm

10+ Year Old Account
    My 360 red ringed on me about a year ago. I was about to buy another 360, but last minute decided to try a Ps3; and I'm already happy I did. I'm sad i'm going to miss Gears 3, but playing through inFamous made it worth it already. Pick up inFamous man, and I hear the Resistance and Killzone games are amazing as well.

Deleted
    First of all, I own a 360 and I will never ever buy another sony product in my life, due to the fact they over-price and every single sony product I've owned has broken within 6 months of buying it. (no I'm not a heavy handed person who breaks everything he touches).

Second: it's all about choice, I love my 360 sure it's expensive to own XBL but if you are clever you can actually get 12 months sub for around £25 on the web, in my opinion, I'd rather pay for a service like XBL than trust a free service such as PSN because if your paying for it you know there's people working around the clock to keep it working. Free things usualy get left and pushed to one side after a while (if it's not broken, dont fix it attitude).

And third: From personal expierence the 360 has a lot more online gamers than the PS3 does, I have been playing CoD searching for games on my 360 finding a game within seconds, yet I'll go around a friends house who is a die hard PS fan and we'll stick CoD on and it takes f***ing ages to find a game.

As I've said I'll never buy another sony product again due to my experience with them, but it's all down to choice would you prefer a lot more online gamers vs picture quality? I know what I'd prefer.[COLOR="red"]

From someone who has had both consoles.

I originaly too had both consoles at release, albeit i sold my xbox to get a PS3, my 60gb ps3 is no longer reading disks the laser is broken and so is collecting dust. I
    never really intended on splashing out for another console but seeing as microsoft released their new range of xbox's I was tempted due to xbox live being a league above the rest no doubt.

The PS3 potential power is no doubt above the xbox, however it is majorly upto the game developers on how detailed they turn the games, I really don't see much of a difference in graphics, although speed is clearly faster on the PS3.

I will add a large caviac here which is, playing on SD you really shouldn't worry about graphics as neither is at their full stopping power, I have crysis 2 on xbox, and MGS4 on PS3, both beautiful. However I will continue playing my xbox due to 2 factors

I feel the Xbox is better supported with frequent updates and a large online community, videos etc on dashboard by microsoft

And secondly, live being a league above PSN

10+ Year Old Account
    I find FPS feel better on a 360 controller, but free roam games like GTA, Infamous, etc. are pretty good on the ps3.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

inFamous, Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, God of War,Starhawk, The Last Guardian, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD, Gran Turismo,Dust 514, Metal Gear Solid 4, Monster Hunter HD ,SOCOM 4 etc etc

VS

Halo,Gears of War,Forza ...... so yea...lol. Ok sure each have a few more, but in big titles those are kinda it.

PS3>Xbox regarding exclusives. + Free Multiplayer + Single disc for each game. Go for ps3

10+ Year Old Account
    All about personal preference.

I personally own an Xbox and a Wii (the Wii is amazing for keeping my other half occupied). I love the xbox live part, so many other people. Doesn't take long for games. Everything looks better than standard. Which is nice considering I've played on standard to 13/14 years now. While there is some title I miss (Gran Turismo 5) from the PS3. I am very content with what the Xbox has to offer. Oddly enough, Xbox games tend to have more DLC available to them.

So it is really all about what you like.

15+ Year Old Account
    Xythez read the op post its not a console war thread where the op need to choose a console to buy, he already have both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    I find FPS feel better on a 360 controller
    Got to agree on that, fps and 3ps plays a lot better on a Xbox360 controller, but il still goes with the choice of getting the pc version first if i have access
    If you want to play CoD go with the pc version, superior in term of graphic, control and i think community.

Xbox Live is a paid service
    PSN is not

You get what you pay for. Just pay the Xbox live fee.
    hahaha. no.

I have to say I prefer the xbox more to the ps3 regardless the ps has better graphics, but game wise, fable is at the center of my heart and while their still busy devloping the series I shall always get the 360
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate