Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Demonology Warlock single target dps woes.

Hey all I am just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what I am doing wrong single target as demonology spec I am struggling to get above 11k dps, I have read the guide til I am blue in the face and still cant work out what I am doing wrong.

Having done all the things the guide on this site recomends I wonder what exactly there is I could do better, I am currently using the rotation they suggest using Felhunter on single target and Felguard on Trash but still despite this my single target dps stays on a piddly 11k dps.
    Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lokison/simple

Here is my Armoury page having only just made 85 recently I am still dodgy with him since warlocks take a lot of getting used too but still 11k dps all the time is just irritating.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your "rotation" do you follow the priority system that countless guides have, or do you do something diffrent ?
    Is this from a raid perspective, if so 10 or 25 ? do you have all the buffs or not ?

Or is this just from a dummy test ? 5 man content ?

Etcetc, need more info than just "help I just do 11k dps", logs and whatnot are very helpfull to find out what's going on.

Your professions not maxed out so you are not getting benefits of those. Get to the point of +40 enchants on both rings plus tailoring enchant on your cloak. You are missing several enchants, head, shoulder, pants off the top of my head. Your head piece does not have gems. You have a mixture of good gear (your weapon) and crap (your headpiece)

Deleted
    This is single target on test dummys no buffs as such just the flat 3% from dark intent on pet. Also as I said above I use the priority system that is on this site.

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 05:25 PM ----------

Hmm apparently armoury hasnt updated, cause I do have a leg enchant I do have a gem in my head and a meta :/ I guess it just hasnt updated. Also the Professions thing yeah I have started leveling it again but I didnt think this would account to being stuck at 11k dps.

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 05:45 PM ----------

Okei the armoury has updated now just needed me to relogg.

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 08:46 PM ----------

No one able to assist me then? :/

Your definitely doing something wrong if your that low on training dummies. Part of the problem is you are missing 6 enchants, no belt buckle, and your rings are unenchanted. As was mentioned before you professions are not maxed so you are losing dps from that.

Edit: Ok I just skimmed through the Demonology guide and while it was good in 4.1 it's outdated. It makes no mention of pet swapping, Glyph of Corruption or Doomguard usage. It also says (like many guides do) something I've always thought as wrong. They say to cast immolate before Hand of Guldan. In my mind this is counter productive. If you cast Immolate first then Hand of Guldan you will refresh Immolate before the first tick goes off making it almost 6 seconds between the Immolate cast and the first tick. So a few notes of new things:

1. Glyph of Corruption is more dps than Glyph of Incinerate.
    2. Get yourself a Moonwell Chalice from the Molten Front stuff (BiS demonology trinket)
    3. Get yourself a Darkmoon Card: Volcano (2nd BiS)
    4. Use Meta + Demon Soul + Moonwell together for maximum benefit
    5. Doomguard is broken imba for demo right now. Use it.
    6. Use a Fel Hunter as it does about 2k dps more than anything else on single target.
    Last edited by Harsesis; 2011-08-20 at 07:57 PM.

One key thing you are neglecting to remember is most guides are suggesting stacking mastery at the highest gear levels. Mastery doesnt overtake haste until much higher gear levels than what you currently have. Also what pet are you using on single target? To maximize dps on single target you would open with felguard out pop Demonsoul immediately soulburn and fel hunter then pop Meta. After that the normal rotation should suffice. The biggest issue you have is stacking mastery though. Your haste is far too low to see any kind of high dps.

one thing that is kinda huge for a demo lock (i with ilvl 372 cant pass 15k without it) is to pop demonform pretty much on cd (unless some things got a burst phase like alysrazor or if you need to time it for a huge burst like on ryo heroic). this makes me go up to 24k dps+ (doomguard makes it go another 3-4k and Fuck that 10 min cd is shitty design wise).

Pretty much this is what you should be doing to get good dps.

Stand in melee when possible, use shadowflame on cd and ofc immo aura when in demon form.
    Always keep Hand of Gul'dan on Cooldown and keep refreshing corr and CoD when needed and immolate if it falls off.
    Also do use the felhunter unless theres a lot of mobs to ae down. Try to initiate with a felguard for demonsoul pwnage and then make a soulburn felhunter summon seeing how felhunter is far superior dmg in comparison to felguard on single target.

Most importantly, try to use Metamorphosis ON COOLDOWN with exceptions being made if movement is present or as i said above some burst phase arrives.

This is pretty much a rly short guide for demo and i may be wrong, but hope it helps you a little bit.

Deleted
    Okei thank you all for your answers this answers a lot but I must ask how much haste should I be aiming for before I start stacking mastery if this is the case I didnt realise this and was just blindly stacking Mastery as the guide mentioned, since it makes no mention of needing a certain amount of haste.

Thanks again

I have started on the molten front dailies but its going to take a while before I get the chalice so in the mean time Im still hoping to make competative dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovart View Post
    Also the Professions thing yeah I have started leveling it again but I didnt think this would account to being stuck at 11k dps.[COLOR="red"]
    It may not be the only issue you have, but profession specific boosts as well as enchants / proper gems means a lot more than you'd think. Lets break down what you're missing:

Head enchant: 60 intellect and 35 crit rating
    Shoulder enchant: 50 intellect and 25 haste rating
    Cloak: Lightweave Embroidery 580 int/15 seconds with an ICD of ~64 seconds (taken from the ej demo thread) averaging about 135.9 intellect, which is an 85.9 intellect boost over the regular enchant. However, what this provides is another proc to boost your doomguard, making it easily the best profession bonus.
    Chest: 20 intellect
    Bracer: 50 intellect (50 hit is sub-par, even if you're below hit cap).
    Gloves: 65 mastery
    Belt: Buckle for another 40 intellect gem
    Rings: 2x 40 intellect
    and off-hand: 40 intellect

All of this added together makes:
    +340 intellect
    +35 crit rating
    +25 haste rating
    +65 mastery
    +lightweave proc
    -50 hit (from the bracer enchant)

Another thing, I'd probably change the gem in your boots to an intellect gem, the 10 crit rating you get from the socket bonus isn't really worth it. Same with the purple gem in your belt, focus on getting hit cap through reforging and never through a loss of intellect.

This probably won't give you thousands of dps, but it will definitely help.
    Last edited by Perath; 2011-08-20 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Deleted
    Yeah I understand that my enchants are definately letting me down but I am grinding rep for these things, I have the head enchant open but not willing to spend that kind of cash on that headpiece :P I just cant seem to get a better one atm. However the professions are being leveled this was a long neglected character so his professions were never something I really looked at.
    I still would love to know what kind of haste I am meant to go to before I start stacking haste cause no where does it mention that you need a certain amount of haste.

Thanks again.

One of the biggest increases in dps as Demo is to be in melee range during Meta. This allows you to use Immolation Aura and Shadowflame, 2 of the hardest hitting spells in your arsenal. Popping meta and immolation aura right away accounts for a ton of burst dps, especially if you can get your hands on the Moonwell Chalice (not too hard). If DMC:V is cheap enough on your server pick it up too, you probably wont be replacing those trinkets anytime soon.

Deleted
    I do all of this already but once again thanks, the main thing im trying to find out is this minimum haste thing I have looked for some more guides but no guide seems to mention anything about a minimum haste as demonology spec :/ Im so confused why cant casters be as easy as melee?

Since everyone keeps ignoring your haste question... there's no definitive answer. You'd have to load your toon into Simcraft and run it to see what your stat weights are. Once you're in mostly 378/359 gear, your choices will be to keep your haste above 1k and stack mastery or hit 1993 haste which will yield less mastery, but lower cast times helping with movement, and increasing DPS (only slightly) on multi target fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnzworth View Post
    One of the biggest increases in dps as Demo is to be in melee range during Meta. This allows you to use Immolation Aura and Shadowflame, 2 of the hardest hitting spells in your arsenal
    ^--- Hell, you can even demon jump onto boss for even more dmg, it's made to be used that way!!!!! One thing, you cant test your dps on a dummy since alot of buffs/debuffs are missing hence you get alot lower dps than you should. So test in a BH or a raid and come again.

Quote Originally Posted by omniscience View Post
    ^--- Hell, you can even demon jump onto boss for even more dmg, it's made to be used that way!!!!! One thing, you cant test your dps on a dummy since alot of buffs/debuffs are missing hence you get alot lower dps than you should. So test in a BH or a raid and come again.
    Demon Leap is a waste of a global on single target.
    And yes, the dummy test might not be accurate compared to a raid setting, but it doesn't change the fact that the OP should be pulling way over 11k. Once they're comfortable with dummy DPS, then they can go try out BH or t11 raids.

Another thing I noticed is the trinkets you have. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the proc trinket may cancel out the use trinket or the other way around. Again not sure if that is an issue or not.

Deleted
    Okei thanks much appreciated I will see if I can work out this sim application out and hopefully I will be doing some proper dps in no time

Thanks again nice to see there are some decent people left on these boards that dont mind helping nabs like me hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post

Wrong... Molten core procs are one of the most important things in the Demo rotation...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by srathgar View Post
    Most importantly, try to use Metamorphosis ON COOLDOWN with exceptions being made if movement is present or as i said above some burst phase arrives.

Only if you get one more metamorphosis per fight, or else you should overlap meta and demonsoul, especially when you have moonwell chalice which has also a 2 minute cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Wrong... Molten core procs are one of the most important things in the Demo rotation...
    http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110366-...elease/#Glyphs

well...no
    molten core is not that important.
    Last edited by mmoc128c07d6b9; 2011-08-20 at 11:41 PM.

Wrong 1 instant SB is more damage than the bonus damage of 3 MC incinerates. Run the sims dude. Glyph of Corruption > Glyph of Incinerate especially on a fight that involves movement.

Just did the math on my character. This is self buffed on a dummy without procs other than mc to get some base numbers:

1. Base incinerate (with immolate up) 7757 damage
    2. Base shadowbolt 12680 damage
    3. Base incinerate with mc up 10073 damage *1.05 to account for glyph = 10577 damage
    4. 10577*3 - 7757*3 = 8460 bonus damage from a glyphed mc incinerate
    5. 12680 in 1 GCD > 8460 in 3 GCD
    Last edited by Harsesis; 2011-08-21 at 03:12 AM.