Thread: COmputer Audio

10+ Year Old Account

COmputer Audio

Okay, I'm finally getting around to getting a decent sound system for my computer, but I'm woefully ignorant of alot of things in this field.

I'm using a laptop with 2.1 out, and want to get surround. As I see it, I can either just get a splitter and duplicate front back, or get a USB card, ala http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829128010 . I'd prefer true surround sound though, so I'd probably go with the USB sound card. Does anyone have any feedback on these, do they work well, and can anyone recommend a brand.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent speaker set, I'd prefer not to go to far past 200$ for them. Honestly, I don't even know where to look for this online, newegg's stock isn't impressive with this, and crutchfield is the only online audio dealer i know of, and they don't do much comp stuff.

Many thanks.

What will you use the speakers for? Games and movies I'm guessing. Thoughts on amount of satelites? 5.1 or 7.1?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    What will you use the speakers for? Games and movies I'm guessing. Thoughts on amount of satelites? 5.1 or 7.1?
    5.1 is fine for me. My computer serves as my only media outlet, so games, movie, tv would be the most tasking. I do some audio editing in concert with video, but not enough SHQ speakers are needed, more of a hobby.

Do not make the mistake of going for surround speakers. There's very little doubt that the quality of 3 speakers will be about twice as high as 6 speakers when you compare 2.1 and 5.1 sets. Also 5.1 set is nearly impossible to position correctly around any computer desk which makes it pointless.

Good quality $150 2.1 set will beat any $200-300 5.1 set in pure sound quality by wide margin, and will fit on your table better.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Last I heard the Corsair SP2500 is a very decent stereoset.

If you are really looking for a 5.1 set, the Logitech Z-906 should be a good choice, but I doubt if you do it any justice with that usbcard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll look into some 2.1 sets. I guess i was looking at surround sound for more novelty than anything, but don't really need it.

Especially with a laptop, it's more hassle than gain.
    Surround-sound, while immersive in movies/games are a novelty in general.

For music, 2.1 is far better, as music is produced in 2.0 or 2.1, can never remember.
    But in general, I very very much agree with what vesseblah said.
    A quality 2.1 is both less expensive and better than 5.1.
    And with that said, I've got a 5.1 speakersystem. I would buy 2.1 if I was to make my choice again.

10+ Year Old Account
    One last question for you guys, is there any site you'd suggest for this other than newegg?

Of the ones who've answered up til now, I don't think anyone of us lives in the US.
    I would, however, also be quite interested in finding out a good audiophil-alike site in the US as well, for future recommendations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there anything I should keep an eye as far as quality? Obviously raw wattage for power, but as far as ohms and the like, I am pretty much lost as far as good ranges.

Altec Lansing (http://www.alteclansing.com), that about covers it.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."