Deleted

building a new computer

hi guys,

building a new pc for my boyfriend, wanted to find out what you guys thought of my selection

1 x LG E2350VR-SN 23" Full HD LED Monitor
    1 x Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Case- Black - £103.98
    1 x ThermalTake TR2 Series 800W 80 PLUS® Bronze Power Supply - £71.98
    1 x 2nd Generation Intel® Core? i5 2500K 3.30GHz Socket LGA1155 - £159.98
    1 x Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard - £149.99
    1 x Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - £44.99
    1 x G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit - £49.99
    2 x KFA2 GeForce GTX 560Ti EX OC 1024MB DDR5 PCIe - £169.99
    1 x LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD+/-RW SATA Black - OEM - £16.99
    2 x Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive <8.9ms 7200rpm - OEM - £40.98

Comes to about £1160 from Novatech with free delivery

Can't link yet but what do you think? (Apparntly I can't get the msi twin frozor2 as a gtx 560ti... and the 570 is rather expensive.)

I kinda want to put an SSD in there for SRT (can't see either of us manually managing which applications go on what drive.)

we've already got 2 screens to use sort of wanted to try out the nvidia surround gaming, and see what its like :-)

---------- Post added 2011-08-21 at 12:24 PM ----------

opps oh yeah, its for playing wow, swtor, gw2, sc2, mostly :-) while wathing movies :-) and I have about 1200 to spend on it

Deleted
    I would recommend http://www.overclock.co.uk/ for buying pc parts, and i assume you're overclocking as you haven't gone for the h67 motherboard - In that case I would recommend some of the corsair h series (i'm using a 50 atm) and a sata 3 drive - I would also recommend the i7 (someone will shoot me for saying that) make sure you get the unlocked one for overclocking. I would go for a cheaper case though, seems a little of an overkill espec. for the price

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa Saurus View Post
    I would recommend overclock.co.uk for buying pc parts, and i assume you're overclocking as you haven't gone for the h67 motherboard - In that case I would recommend some of the corsair h series (i'm using a 50 atm) and a sata 3 drive - I would also recommend the i7 (someone will shoot me for saying that) make sure you get the unlocked one for overclocking. I would go for a cheaper case though, seems a little of an overkill espec. for the price
    Dont suppose you could explain your reasoning for going for a h50 instead of the frio?
    or an i7 over an i5?
    or what case would be cheaper?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayfulRobyn View Post
    Dont suppose you could explain your reasoning for going for a h50 instead of the frio?
    or an i7 over an i5?
    or what case would be cheaper?
    Well it really just depends on the case for h50 vs frio and if you want an extra fan to put on the h50 - It's upto you, the frio will cause a large case temp but cool the cpu better (purely because of it's large size) the h50 being the opposite

For the i7 over an i5 theres a clear performance difference, and you'll get even more if you are overclocking

As for the case, what do you want? Aesthetics, best cooling, ease of access? I just personal see £100 a little steep (Ahh, my bad I didn't see you were sli'ing! - Maybe thats justified then)
    Last edited by mmoc8f80ecf50e; 2011-08-21 at 12:50 PM.

Deleted
    Well it really just depends on the case for h50 vs frio and if you want an extra fan to put on the h50 - It's upto you, the frio will cause a large case temp but cool the cpu better (purely because of it's large size) the h50 being the opposite

For the i7 over an i5 theres a clear performance difference, and you'll get even more if you are overclocking

As for the case, what do you want? Aesthetics, best cooling, ease of access? I just personal see £100 a little steep (Ahh, my bad I didn't see you were sli'ing! - Maybe thats justified then)
    sorry what?! if I wasn';t confused before... I sure am now....

Deleted

No, the i5 is better than the i7 for gaming.
    Also, if you wanna overclock, get the Noctua NH-D14 processor fan, best air cooler on the market, and cleans the floor with the closed loop water coolers. (The h100 might stand a chance, though.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    No, the i5 is better than the i7 for gaming.
    Also, if you wanna overclock, get the Noctua NH-D14 processor fan, best air cooler on the market, and cleans the floor with the closed loop water coolers. (The h100 might stand a chance, though.)

The Frio is within 2 or 3 degrees of the nh-d14 and costs alot less (as far as I can tell) and looks much better too Unless your aiming to overclock it to within half an inch of the chips life it's not going to make much difference 8-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    The Frio is within 2 or 3 degrees of the nh-d14 and costs alot less (as far as I can tell) and looks much better too Unless your aiming to overclock it to within half an inch of the chips life it's not going to make much difference 8-)
    So.... stick with the frio then, good :-) its smexy! anything else?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Until we see some solid performance increases in BF3 with the i7 over the i5, the i5 is the better option for a gaming cpu.

Plus, you didn't list BF3 in there, which would make the i5 the clear cut winner over the games you're selecting.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    Only have this to say, can I be your boyfriend ? I never had a Girlfriend buying me a computer
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawlisse View Post
    Only have this to say, can I be your boyfriend ? I never had a Girlfriend buying me a computer
    lol..... are you super smexy ?

Deleted
    Since you're from the UK... http://www.dinopc.com/. I do shop at Novatech though (I live right near it) but I find this website to be cheaper ;D

15+ Year Old Account
    Going with the i5 and the frio is perfectly fine, and will serve quite well.

Only additional thought - change the SLi 560 ti to a GTX 570 or GTX 580 to allow for future upgrades. SLi options are better suited as a secondary upgrade to get more performance, not for the initial build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Going with the i5 and the frio is perfectly fine, and will serve quite well.

Only additional thought - change the SLi 560 ti to a GTX 570 or GTX 580 to allow for future upgrades. SLi options are better suited as a secondary upgrade to get more performance, not for the initial build.
    A 570 or a 580 doesn't allow for 3 screens though, which is something the OP said they would like to do.
    Not to mention actually having seriously considered this myself, very very few people ever add additional cards into SLI, it's very rarely worth the money and agro as opposed to simply replacing the card with a newer one.

Deleted
    No other thoughts from anyone else?

yoyotech

Just a suggestion in terms of sources, check out some guys called yoyotech (google it, cant post links). Its a small shop in london but they are competitive. I used them for my recent pc. They can deliver or u can pick up, and they have some nice pre-made i7/i5 bundles!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikrui View Post
    Since you're from the UK... http://www.dinopc.com/. I do shop at Novatech though (I live right near it) but I find this website to be cheaper ;D
    I just had a look at this... they have insanely poor stock range.... finding it very difficult to see a 8gb set of RAM....