Need help picking graphics card

First off, I don't know much about the nitty-gritty of computers, so I'm seeking some assistance.

Right now, I have an ATI Radeon HD 3200, I run about 30 fps in cities, and during graphic intensive 25 man fights I dip to about 10 fps...which really sucks, so I'm looking to buy a new one.

Here's some of my system specs, if there's any important info I left out let me know

Gateway PC
    4GB of RAM
    AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor 2.10GHz
    64 Bit Operating System

I can spend at most 200$ on a card, I found a list of possible buys on this website
    http://tinyurl.com/3lgsjjj

So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

It would help to know how many PCI Expansions slots you have and what kind you have so we can get a good card for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    It would help to know how many PCI Expansions slots you have and what kind you have so we can get a good card for you.
    Is there a way I can check that without opening up the tower? I'm running windows Vista

Well you need to know the model of your motherboard or open the tower. You can't check it in windows

To look up the specific computer model and type.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads up, I bought a Radeon HD 5770, and i did see an improvement, about 60 fps static, 45 moving around major cities, but still down to 20ish fps in dungeons with lots of spell animations and such, running on average settings. oh, and 45ish fps questing and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkeli View Post
    Well you need to know the model of your motherboard or open the tower. You can't check it in windows
    Well...can I get info about my motherboard without opening the tower up?

What's the exact model number of your computer.

Model: Gateway GT5692
    SNID: 82700106392

Edit: I downloaded a program that shows all your hardware info, but all the info about my motherboard is "Unknown" So I might have to just open it up and look myself
    Last edited by soulkeeperx; 2011-08-22 at 05:43 AM.

I'll assume you don't, due to previous answers -- but your Power Supply matters as well.
    Make sure to buy a card that will not stress your (probably terrible) PSU too much.

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeperx View Post
    Model: Gateway GT5692
    SNID: 82700106392

Edit: I downloaded a program that shows all your hardware info, but all the info about my motherboard is "Unknown" So I might have to just open it up and look myself
    According to this, your current graphics are integrated and you have a free PCI-Express slot that can house a modern video card. As Midean said, though, your power supply may be a concern as well. That site doesn't list the specs for the power supply, so I will try to find them elsewhere.

EDIT: I've looked at a couple other sites (including this one, which both show it having a rather shitty 300W power supply. While it MAY run a very low-end video card, I'd be afraid to hook anything else up to that system without purchasing a new power supply as well. If you plug something in that draws more power than that PSU is capable of outputting (keeping in mind that the PSU's these branded systems have are typically crap that can't actually put out the amount of power they're rated for), you could fry your PSU, fry your entire computer, or even start a fire =0 (I've seen it happen to).
    Last edited by Llunai; 2011-08-22 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    According to this, your current graphics are integrated and you have a free PCI-Express slot that can house a modern video card. As Midean said, though, your power supply may be a concern as well. That site doesn't list the specs for the power supply, so I will try to find them elsewhere.

EDIT: I've looked at a couple other sites (including this one, which both show it having a rather shitty 300W power supply. While it MAY run a very low-end video card, I'd be afraid to hook anything else up to that system without purchasing a new power supply as well. If you plug something in that draws more power than that PSU is capable of outputting (keeping in mind that the PSU's these branded systems have are typically crap that can't actually put out the amount of power they're rated for), you could fry your PSU, fry your entire computer, or even start a fire =0 (I've seen it happen to).
    Thanks for the info, what kind of power supply should I be looking to buy?

Thanks for the info, what kind of power supply should I be looking to buy?
    That is difficult to be certain of. Although I think most manufacturers stopped doing this, there used to be a trend among major PC vendors to use proprietary connectors (where the power supply connects to the motherboard) so that you could not plus in any old, off the shelf power supply. While I believe they haven't done this in several years, it would be best to confirm that this is no longer the case (email their support, or something...ask if you can upgrade the power supply with an off the shelf unit).

Before I make a recommendation, what is your budget for the video card and the psu? Also, do you play any other games?

That is difficult to be certain of. Although I think most manufacturers stopped doing this, there used to be a trend among major PC vendors to use proprietary connectors (where the power supply connects to the motherboard) so that you could not plus in any old, off the shelf power supply. While I believe they haven't done this in several years, it would be best to confirm that this is no longer the case (email their support, or something...ask if you can upgrade the power supply with an off the shelf unit).

Before I make a recommendation, what is your budget for the video card and the psu? Also, do you play any other games?
    For the card, 200$ and under, same goes for the PSU. And I only play WoW on this computer
    Last edited by soulkeeperx; 2011-08-22 at 06:14 AM.

For the card, 200$ and under, same goes for the PSU
    How about both for under $200?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121435

^ This PSU is going to improve your framerate dramatically, though it's far from top of the line. If you wanted something a few steps up from this, it's very doable. It's still a HUGE improvement over what you have and, if all you play is WoW, it will be more than enough. (Plus, apparently it comes with Dungeon Siege...I'm not sure if that's important).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182076

^ A fairly basic power supply, without the bells and whistles. It's from a fairly reputable brand, so it shouldn't cause any fires. It will run your system with a new video card with extra room for a new hard drive, or even a higher-end video card than the one I linked above. It would suit the system you have now, and give you the breathing room you lack. You can get $12 PSU's, but I cannot recommend such things as I have seen far too many burn.

If you want to spend more monies, there are options for that as well. I suspect that $170 before shipping, taxes or rebate will be welcomed.

How about both for under $200?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121435

^ This PSU is going to improve your framerate dramatically, though it's far from top of the line. If you wanted something a few steps up from this, it's very doable. It's still a HUGE improvement over what you have and, if all you play is WoW, it will be more than enough. (Plus, apparently it comes with Dungeon Siege...I'm not sure if that's important).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182076

^ A fairly basic power supply, without the bells and whistles. It's from a fairly reputable brand, so it shouldn't cause any fires. It will run your system with a new video card with extra room for a new hard drive, or even a higher-end video card than the one I linked above. It would suit the system you have now, and give you the breathing room you lack. You can get $12 PSU's, but I cannot recommend such things as I have seen far too many burn.

If you want to spend more monies, there are options for that as well. I suspect that $170 before shipping, taxes or rebate will be welcomed.
    Thanks a ton, I'll be getting them soon!!

Thanks a ton, I'll be getting them soon!!
    No problem

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125383

If you find yourself inclinded to spend a little bit more, something like this might hit the spot. It would be a very decent jump up from the GTX 550 Ti, which would help keep that framerate a bit higher.

In the end, it's up to you. There's lots of options.