Thread: Cable pinching

10+ Year Old Account

Cable pinching

So after a little testing I realized I can slip a cable through our windows and then move it outside to the desired destination. Now the window pinches the cable a bit but not a terrible amount, will this ultimately fail or cause lag problems or could it be a cheap solution to having the cable company install a cable jack in my room?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on if you're closing the window on it. It certainly will cause the cable to fail after a little bit if you're closing the window on it. I ran cable down through my house to where I needed the computer rather than going that route. To be honest, I would just have the cable company install it for you if they're willing to. Comcrap doesn't install jacks over here anymore, or at least that's what they told me on the phone. =/
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

If you're going to be opening/closing the window on the cable, it will eventually (based on frequency) damage it so much that it no longer works.

If your window has enough space around the edge, between the seals, and you are not going to open that window, then it should be fine for quite some time. That, of course, depends on the quality of the cable. The exterior sheath of the cable may not stand up well to the environment.

I ran a cable out a window (double glazed, stayed closed, and enough space for the cable not to be pinched more than about 20% of its diameter) and downstairs, and it lasted at least 3 years (then, I moved out). When I took it down, it was obvious the sheath of the cable was degraded, since it was quite stiff, but it was not broken or eaten through in any place.

You basically want to be sure that the cable isn't getting crushed, and that it is not interfering with the window mechanism or seal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I'm closing the window on it but the window is able shift down to one side and create a good seal but it's not like a pair of pliers are smashing the cable down, it would probably be more like if I were pinching it with my fingers with a decent amount of pressure.

in my old house i had a cable pinched by the window frame, no problems what so ever. it should be fine as long as it's not stressing the cable and just pinching it.

if the cable is loose and flaps around in the wind, you'll have issues later down the line, but if you tie it round a drainpipe or cable clip it to the wall, you should be fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    I mean I'm closing the window on it but the window is able shift down to one side and create a good seal but it's not like a pair of pliers are smashing the cable down, it would probably be more like if I were pinching it with my fingers with a decent amount of pressure.
    then no it wont cause any problems, as long as you dont open/close the window 50 times a day !!! you can break the tiny wires inside if you do that.
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    The windows that it would be in would stay closed pretty much permanently so it sounds like this should be no problem.