Page 1 of 3
LastLast

F2P MMO worth playing?

Over the years I have tried to find a good MMO that's F2P and just have never succeeded. I play WoW actively, but I want something new I can play on the side. All the F2P's I've played have been like "stand in front of this guy and spam 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2", with saying that it would be awesome to find a F2P MMO that actually takes some skill and some "don't stand in the fire".

Another thing I like is some customization. Maybe a game with some different races (not too important) or at least something along the lines of picking a class and putting points towards a talent tree or skill points.

Let me know.

It's impossible to enjoy any "F2P" mmo that has a store, because you will always realize that you are just getting half the product, and it is just never enjoyable. You will group with players that can do things you can't do and can never do unless you pay money. So I think the pay to play model is better in that regard, since it creates a level playing field for anyone.

But if I had to play a F2P MMO it would be either LOTRO, their DND MMO or Crimecraft.

15+ Year Old Account
    This really belongs in the Video Games section.

Ot: there are very few Mmos that don't follow those standard concepts you dislike, especially those on the f2p market. You might try Vindictus, graphics were nice, and if I remember correctly there was some positioning needed for combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    This really belongs in the Video Games section.

Ot: there are very few Mmos that don't follow those standard concepts you dislike, especially those on the f2p market. You might try Vindictus, graphics were nice, and if I remember correctly there was some positioning needed for combat.
    I tried Vindictus, but I didn't really care too much for it. I enjoy having an action bar lol. Thank you for the input though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hordeftw92 View Post
    I tried Vindictus, but I didn't really care too much for it. I enjoy having an action bar lol. Thank you for the input though.
    I'll be honest I couldn't really get into it either. You might check out Lotro, I enjoyed playing it, but like most f2p/micro transaction models I found myself yearning for more than just the f2p content.

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    I'll be honest I couldn't really get into it either. You might check out Lotro, I enjoyed playing it, but like most f2p/micro transaction models I found myself yearning for more than just the f2p content.
    I might give it a try. I've heard some good feedback on it. Does it actually have boss mechanics and whatnot?

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    It's impossible to enjoy any "F2P" mmo that has a store, because you will always realize that you are just getting half the product, and it is just never enjoyable. You will group with players that can do things you can't do and can never do unless you pay money. So I think the pay to play model is better in that regard, since it creates a level playing field for anyone.

But if I had to play a F2P MMO it would be either LOTRO, their DND MMO or Crimecraft.
    Not really.

I've enjoyed Vindictus immensely and have only spent 10 bucks for new under-armor (underwear lulz, sick of the long johns poking out everywhere ruining how sets look). I've enjoyed Champions Online, Eden Eternal, Everquest 2 Extended and Age of Conan without spending any money. Sure you might not get access to 100% of the content in these games (you do in Eden Eternal and Vindictus as far as I know) without paying any money, but there are a ton of F2P MMO's worth playing, especially if you don't mind shelling out some cash down the road if you enjoy it.

Most F2P MMO's aren't Pay to Win, that's just a misconception by the P2P hardcore nerds that think the only way a game could ever be good or balanced would be if you had to pay a monthly subscription for it (not true).

F2P model is shit!
    Not worth of playing, someone with more money then you can be stronger, it's not depended on skill & etc.
    P2P FTW!

Of all the ones I have tried Lord of the Rings was the best. Although it's gated in such a way you'll end up paying if you're a lore-head.

City of Heroes is also about to go free to play, that should be good, especially if you love customization.

Age of Conan is alright, it has an interesting premise but the learning curve/skill-ramp once you're past the tutorial stage is fairly brutal. The other bad thing about it is that it's not really Conan, it's "generic heroic RPG with boobs."

In other words don't expect Howard's depth or the treatise on what makes civilization civilized. And really, would someone ask Conan to go pick them up some spools of thread and a butcher's knife? Stupid freakin' quests ....

10+ Year Old Account
    Over the years I have tried to find a good MMO that's F2P and just have never succeeded. I play WoW actively, but I want something new I can play on the side. All the F2P's I've played have been like "stand in front of this guy and spam 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2", with saying that it would be awesome to find a F2P MMO that actually takes some skill and some "don't stand in the fire".

Another thing I like is some customization. Maybe a game with some different races (not too important) or at least something along the lines of picking a class and putting points towards a talent tree or skill points.

Let me know.
    The 2 best ftp games that ive tried are Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Runes of Magic. Rom is very similar to wow imo, but without the polish and some annoying issues. Also if u can buy a game u should check out Guild Wars. Its buy to play with no sub. I never liked GW tho so its up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Not really.

I've enjoyed Vindictus immensely and have only spent 10 bucks for new under-armor (underwear lulz, sick of the long johns poking out everywhere ruining how sets look). I've enjoyed Champions Online, Eden Eternal, Everquest 2 Extended and Age of Conan without spending any money. Sure you might not get access to 100% of the content in these games (you do in Eden Eternal and Vindictus as far as I know) without paying any money, but there are a ton of F2P MMO's worth playing, especially if you don't mind shelling out some cash down the road if you enjoy it.

Most F2P MMO's aren't Pay to Win, that's just a misconception by the P2P hardcore nerds that think the only way a game could ever be good or balanced would be if you had to pay a monthly subscription for it (not true).
    Look how many MMOs you went through, though? It was probably not because they were boring. It's hard to care about a MMO if you can't access all the content, easier to just pay $15 a month rather than pay for everything you want individually. I do mind shelling cash out down the road, because it's easier to just pay a subscription and cheaper overall.

A lot of F2P MMOs are pay to win, and you can't even win them unless you pay, Age of Conan, EQ 2, Champions Online, etc.

Paying a monthly subscription gives you a guarantee, paying for everything in small installments is more than $15 a month overall, and is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    F2P model is shit!
    Not worth of playing, someone with more money then you can be stronger, it's not depended on skill & etc.
    P2P FTW!
    Or you can stop spreading lies. Not all F2P games sell items/buffs that make you more powerful in game. In fact, a minority of F2P games (especially major ones) in the US/EU do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Of all the ones I have tried Lord of the Rings was the best. Although it's gated in such a way you'll end up paying if you're a lore-head.

City of Heroes is also about to go free to play, that should be good, especially if you love customization.

Age of Conan is alright, it has an interesting premise but the learning curve/skill-ramp once you're past the tutorial stage is fairly brutal. The other bad thing about it is that it's not really Conan, it's "generic heroic RPG with boobs."

In other words don't expect Howard's depth or the treatise on what makes civilization civilized. And really, would someone ask Conan to go pick them up some spools of thread and a butcher's knife? Stupid freakin' quests ....
    Yes, because every player is playing Conan. You're a freaking genius.

OP, there aren't a whole lot of F2P games that are great as-is. They intentionally make the games to pretty much require you to spend money on them to fully enjoy. That's just how things are. DDO was great before it became F2P...now you have to spend a small fortune just to enjoy it. It also locked out my characters >.> I had three warforged chars, and you have to now pay for the warforged class >< Such garbage.

15+ Year Old Account
    I might give it a try. I've heard some good feedback on it. Does it actually have boss mechanics and whatnot?

I didn't make it to endgame because of other obligations at the time. I was mostly what I can best describe as a battle scenario. Basically you have a goal of defending this village and to do that you wipe out guard npc and sometimes random boss npc, perhaps defend that node from waves of other npcs, and then have a final fight. What was interesting about these scenarios was the scaling difficulty. If you wanted to take it easy you could set it to easy. If you wanted it to be a big challenge you turned up the dial.

technically eve can be f2p, as you can use in game money for game time, so other than the 20 bucks to get into it, id say its the best f2p game out there

Not too many people are understanding me. I could care less if someone is better than me because they pay for there shit. I'm not looking for something to replace WoW, more like I have a couple level 85's and am tired of either grinding the same dungeons all day or making new alts to fill my boredom. lol

Team Fortress is pretty MMOish with it's hat and weapons collecting. The paid part activates after one purchase (5$ is a minimum though) and is your forever after that. premium mainly includes more bag space (300->1000) and trading capability. Buyable stuff is balanced with normal starting stuff and is on the drop table.
    Last edited by Weerra; 2011-08-23 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Team Fortress is pretty MMOish with it's hat and weapons collecting. And the paid part activates after one purchase (5$ is a minimum though) and is your forever after that. premium mainly includes more bag space (300->1000) and trading capability. Buyable stuff is balanced with normal starting stuff and is on the drop table.
    except the new sniper rifle which is just an AWP.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Or you can stop spreading lies. Not all F2P games sell items/buffs that make you more powerful in game. In fact, a minority of F2P games (especially major ones) in the US/EU do.
    List some? Vindictus, that you praised, seems to sell some nice buffs there.
    Which means that people who shell out the money for them will kick you ass even if you can access the same constant equipment as theirs.

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    except the new sniper rifle which is just an AWP.
    wut iz AWP?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliveros View Post
    technically eve can be f2p, as you can use in game money for game time, so other than the 20 bucks to get into it, id say its the best f2p game out there
    I tried EVE several months ago and couldn't really get into it. I honestly see that as a game meant for Auction House strategists and in game Billionaires. That isn't a slight at the game, the graphics are beautiful but it always felt more like a marketing game than anything else.