Page 1 of 2
LastLast

just finished putting my computer together and got a little problem..

all power cables are in all sata cables mouse keyboard gcard / monitor etc..

When i turn on the power it starts up for maybe 2 seconds just really quickly powers fans / case lights and then cuts off. About 3-4 seconds later power just comes back on (on its own) and all fans / lights etc start running. I get no motherboard beeps (the screen just says "no signal") and everything seems to run but nothing is happening.

What is wrong with it?

asus pro p67 mobo
    intel i5 2500k
    samsung f1 hdd
    coolmaster gx 650w
    some old 9800 gtx gcard
    8gb vengeance ram
    Last edited by Penançe123; 2011-08-23 at 01:32 PM.

Deleted
    Eh, maybe a cable, wich is plugged in as you said, is broken on a spot you can't see it? Try replace the cables one by one to try out?

But I atleast should get a mobo beep for something .. some specs of the computer I just put together

asus pro p67 mobo
    intel i5 2500k
    samsung f1 hdd
    coolmaster gx 650w
    some old 9800 gtx gcard
    8gb vengeance ram

PC specs would help but it sounds like PSU issue, aka the initial power it needs for the hardware isn't being delivered. It isn't a potentially dangerous issue more of an inconvience if i'm correct.

CPU_LED light is red on mobo
    BOOT_DEVICES_LED is also red
    the mobo has a green light on it also
    all fans are working also

How are the shunts set up from the PSU?

Also try disconnecting the fans and see if it powers on normally.

I don't know what PSU shunts are sorry.

Still the same result with the 2 case fans unplugged.

Deleted
    Sounds like your RAM is in the wrong slots... If you board has different colour slots try moving them over uniform into the other colour.

Your welcome.

are the power cables connected to the extra motherboard power connecter, i.e. the small 8 pin

Deleted
    I had this problem once after cleaning my computer, after stressing over it for an hour or so i realised the clips to the fan over the CPU wasnt connected properly. I clicked them in, made sure the CPU was firmly set and it worked after that. Maybe you have the same issue? make sure the clips are in correctly.

As stated before me, it could be a RAM-issue. Try use your MemOK! -button on the motherboard, and see if that doesn't correct things. You can read about the MemOK!-button in your motherboard guide.

Think I know what the problem is.

This was happening to me before. What it happened to be was the Power Connector from the front of the case had it wires the wrong way around, so Positive was negative, negative was positive. And it caused it to restart constantly.

Check your manual, and ready CAREFULLY which way your FPANEL connectors go.

#Edit: Positive is the colour, Negative is the common (white/black normally).
    Last edited by Roflomnom; 2011-08-23 at 01:48 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im in on the RAM situation. Using the "logical" slots without reading the manual will cause problems :P
    Can't remember how it works though, something about either using two slots of the same colour or the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflomnom View Post
    Think I know what the problem is.

This was happening to me before. What it happened to be was the Power Connector from the front of the case had it wires the wrong way around, so Positive was negative, negative was positive. And it caused it to restart constantly.

Check your manual, and ready CAREFULLY which way your FPANEL connectors go.
    ... uh no. The Power and Reset switches are just momentary switches, there is no positive or negative. As long as they bridge the correct two pins it's fine. For the LEDs, they are diodes, as such current can only travel one direction through them in the first place, so having them on backwards just means they don't work.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    It is RAM trust me. Im guessing he tried it and it worked and now is installing every game he owns

@absynth - I only have the 1 RAM chip in atm and it's in channel 1A.

@tomathy - Yes the 8 pin and the big long 1 are both plugged in

@Theadoric - I think so I've tried to get my fan off but I don't know how to work those clips lol.

@Twiistz - I already tried using the MemOK button. The mobo book says hold the button in till it starts blinking but I've held it in for quite a long time and nothing happened.

Deleted
    So try the RAM in 2A, either that or theres probably a small Mobo power cable you have overlooked.

Put the ram in 1B, no clue why but that's what my asus board says for one stick.

(might be 2A, the 2nd one, put it in the second one.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Put the ram in 1B, no clue why but that's what my asus board says for one stick.

(might be 2A, the 2nd one, put it in the second one.)
    This.. just try all the RAM slots one by one.. when it works use that colour.

OK I put my both ram sticks in now in A2 / B2 and that turned the little DRAM_LED off so 1 light down 2 to go!

Still my CPU_LED and BOOT_DEVICES_LED are still red in the mobo it says if the light is on it indicates a problem with that section.