Thread: Diablo 3?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Diablo 3?

For someone who has never, ever, played Diablo, can someone tell me what the game is about? To me it feels like a mix of Wow and an RTS, but i could be really off.
    How's the gameplay?
    What's the story?
    How are the setting?'

Reason is of course if i should buy it or not once it's realeased =)
    Regards

Deleted
    Its not a mmo and its not a RTS thats for sure or well maybe its abit like wow but not much its hack and slash i would suggest you to check out Diablo 2 its well worth playing today its a realy good game even if its old.

It's an action RPG. No RTS elements really other than the click to move controls that were in diablo 1-2, where the keyboard was merely used to switch skills etc. In D3 however the skills will be hotkey based as in conventional mmorpgs but movement will be still handled by the mouse.

The story basically involves saving the world from the minions of hell and such. You progress through various acts following the story, leveling up, gathering gear, etc. I suggest watching some diablo 3 gameplay videos on youtube to get an idea about the controls and visuals. If you want more info about the story I suggest some google-fu. Check a wiki or something.

It's about pushing two buttons while rolling through dungeons and looting items.
    The setting in D1/2 was dark and "scary" but D3 seems to be going away from this.

The best term for Diablo 3 is a "Roguelike-rpg"

There's three token elements to a roguelike. Typically, you have a randomized dungeon filled with monsters and (to a lesser extent in diablo's case,) traps.
    Secondly, there's loot (which, in diablo's case, is also dynamic generating items using key-words to determine stats.) The goal being to reach the boss of the dungeon who will typically drop the best stuff, (and usually give you access to another dungeon.
    Lastly, there's the town. NPC's hand you quests, like WoW. Town's are generally sparce (in diablo's case, it's generally one per act) and act as a "Base Camp" for you to sell your items, buy items, etc.

They're played near entirely with the mouse (you'd use your keyboard for potions, changing spells, open menus, etc) you Left-click to move, right click casts spell (aimed at cursor)

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo is about spamming your left click like you've never spammed it before. Killing hundreds of monsters a minute, and getting loot every second.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeterno View Post
    For someone who has never, ever, played Diablo, can someone tell me what the game is about? To me it feels like a mix of Wow and an RTS, but i could be really off.
    How's the gameplay?
    What's the story?
    How are the setting?'

Reason is of course if i should buy it or not once it's realeased =)
    Regards
    It's a hack 'n slash rpg, you build your character like in a standard rpg, while you click your mouse till it breaks so destroy mobs.
    The story is that you live in the world of Sanctuary, a hidden world created by renegade Angels and Demons, that were tired of the constant wars between Heaven and Hell. Meanwhile in Hell, a civilwar rages between the Prime Evils (the 3 brothers Diablo, Baal and Mephisto), somehow they make their way to Sanctuary where they battle the human race, they loose and end up trapped in Soulstones, but through powers of total corruption, they manage to break free, and ravage most of Sanctuary. Diablo himself managed to corrupt a human king, from within the catacombs beneath the City of Tristram, leading up to a warrior hero defeating him, but by the time of the death of Diablo, the hero is corrupted to a point, where he places Diablo's soulstone in his forehead, leading to Diablo taking control of his body.
    This is Diablo 1 pretty much.

Diablo 2 takes place after the hero, containing Diablo, leaves Tristam, which is destroyed by hordes of demons and undead upon his departure. This leads to a bunch of heroes emerging to hunt him down and stop him. They are however too late, he manages to free his brothers, and complete his transformation, and the Lord of Terror walks again. The heroes manages to kill Mephisto and destroy his soulstone, killing him officially. They track down Diablo to hell, and does the same to him, but the third brother Baal, Lord of Destruction, wages war in the North, corruption the Worldstone, which was pretty much the pillar of Sanctuary. The hero manages to kill Baal, while the Arch-Angel Tyrael, allied of the hero, destroys the worldstone. This is where Diablo 2 ends.

So the 3 Prime Evils are gone, but it seems they, or atleast still Diablo, still lingers somehow. Not much is known about the story of Diablo 3, they've truly managed to keep that well hidden.

The setting is dark and gothic, and anyone who's played Diablo 1, will know how terrifying the soundtrack of Tristram truly is.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punky View Post
    Ahh yes, Diablo 1.... How they could ever think that in a game where you were constantly surrounded by billions of mobs, that running was overrated, I'll never know. God the many, many MANY deaths to "The Butcher", just because he'd outrun you. That pretty much summarizes D1, the first quest was something you couldn't do till aronud lvl 5-6 depending on class and gear. Yikes.

Deleted
    I would say that games like Gauntlet are its ancestors...if you're looking for genre. Erm...3D-isometric-real time-Fast Paced-Dungeon Crawl-Hack'n'Slash-RPG. With outdoor bits.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I would say that games like Gauntlet are its ancestors...if you're looking for genre. Erm...3D-isometric-real time-Fast Paced-Dungeon Crawl-Hack'n'Slash-RPG. With outdoor bits.
    Isn't Diablo 1 and 2 a lot older than Gauntlet, unless there is an older Gauntlet than the one for the ps2.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    It's an action RPG. No RTS elements really other than the click to move controls that were in diablo 1-2, where the keyboard was merely used to switch skills etc. In D3 however the skills will be hotkey based as in conventional mmorpgs but movement will be still handled by the mouse.

The story basically involves saving the world from the minions of hell and such. You progress through various acts following the story, leveling up, gathering gear, etc. I suggest watching some diablo 3 gameplay videos on youtube to get an idea about the controls and visuals. If you want more info about the story I suggest some google-fu. Check a wiki or something.
    ya this guy has it all.

I might be checking it out, been really excited over it since it was announced so many years ago.
    But yeah since i heard about the AH-system, meh not so much excited anymore. :<
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlycaster View Post
    ya this guy has it all.

I might be checking it out, been really excited over it since it was announced so many years ago.
    But yeah since i heard about the AH-system, meh not so much excited anymore. :<
    The AH is optional, so don't use it. There's no reason to lose interest in a game just because you don't like an OPTIONAL feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Isn't Diablo 1 and 2 a lot older than Gauntlet, unless there is an older Gauntlet than the one for the ps2.
    Gauntlet is much older than Diablo...

15+ Year Old Account
    just out curiosity, but why do people compare a game that isnt even in the same Genre to WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    just out curiosity, but why do people compare a game that isnt even in the same Genre to WoW?
    Because it is the same company.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    ya but the game is nothing like WoW, unless of course you have to compare it to WoW because you can pick up quests from npcs.

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    Harmonix produces Dance Central.

Harmonix also produces Rock Band.

Both are rhythm games, they're also immensely different from eachother.

Diablo and WoW are hugely different games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashkar View Post
    Harmonix produces Dance Central.

Harmonix also produces Rock Band.

Both are rhythm games, they're also immensely different from eachother.

Diablo and WoW are hugely different games.
    I know WoW and Diablo are diffrent games. I am just answering his question of why they compare diablo to WoW. Because it is the same company and they think they will make it similer to their best game.

seems like D3 is going to be a L2 sell items and gold webinar.With some fighting to hold you over till your items sell.