10+ Year Old Account

Where to buy an Ipad2 and what spec

Hi guys,

Firstly I'm not looking to be talked out of this, I do not need 200 posts telling me that a laptop or that xxx tablet/phone would be better. :-)

Now with that out the way.

Its my brothers birthday soon, and he's got his heart set on an iPad2 for Uni, so we as a family are going to team up and buy one. However they're not exactly cheap, so I was hoping you guys could hope narrow down the choices and help me find the best possible deal.

While his birthday isn't till December 22nd, I don't think we'd have a problem getting it sooner rather than later, 1) becuase prices will go up for christmas and 2) becuase he'll already be halfway through the year.

So other than direct from the apple website, where can I expect to fund a decent deal on the Ipad2?

I think we'd probably go for a 32gb with wifi and possibly 3g.... depending on the price difference between that and without 3g

Deleted
    I would strongly suggest the 3G model, even if it is a bit more expensive. Having access to internet even when you are out and about is short to a must on any tablet device in my opinion.

Also, I would suggest to check out this site:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

And this:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/...-late-october/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I would strongly suggest the 3G model, even if it is a bit more expensive. Having access to internet even when you are out and about is short to a must on any tablet device in my opinion.

And this:
    Those were my thoughts :-) but parents are shelling out the bulk of the money :-)

and brilliant if those rumors are true... if not then oh well :P

Deleted
    I would recommend 3G as well 32 gigs should be enough for tons of music, apps, photos and a couple of movies.

I would reccommend waiting, yes you would stilll get it but later down the line. Right now the Ipad 2 is at a point where it's outdated and there making a new one, so wait till the new one comes out then get it, oh and 32g with 3G is good for a starter.

Turns out there coming in late oct. so it's best to wait a bit then get it.

Apple...bleh, screw them, suing everyone for patent crap, it is out of control.

Apple even if you were the last pc, cell phone, tabletmaker on earth, I wouldnt use your crap. I would use a soup can and string but you would probably try to sue me for the patent rights on that too....

Piss Apple off buy Android.

Mod Warning: No brand-bashing!
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-24 at 08:41 PM.
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

Sorry to put it in here but without streaming capabilities iPads become super frustrating for their users, ESPECIALLY ones going to university, so you may want to convince your brother otherwise before his birthday.

More on topic of what you're looking for though, if you will not stray from the iPad path, wait until a month or so before his birthday to pick it up. A) Prices will *not* go up before Christmas, they will just sell out more quickly. Christmas is usually when things like that go on *sale* so that Apple can blow out their entire stock and get ready for the new model. B) He will (hopefully) change his mind by then when better options become available (there already are...)

Happy hunting.
    If a shaman tells you that he can't tank, he's just not doing it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xombo View Post
    Sorry to put it in here but without streaming capabilities iPads become super frustrating for their users, ESPECIALLY ones going to university, so you may want to convince your brother otherwise before his birthday.

More on topic of what you're looking for though, if you will not stray from the iPad path, wait until a month or so before his birthday to pick it up. A) Prices will *not* go up before Christmas, they will just sell out more quickly. Christmas is usually when things like that go on *sale* so that Apple can blow out their entire stock and get ready for the new model. B) He will (hopefully) change his mind by then when better options become available (there already are...)

Happy hunting.
    Trust me, I used to work at PCWorld, we used to put the prices up, just before the sale, so that when the sale came the prices were actually the same or more than they were before the holiday. But becuase there was a SALE! sticker plastered all over the store and on every item, people thought they were getting a good deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    if he's taking it to college with him, I'd look into the wifi ones only. Unless he's going to a weird place, most all universities have campus-wide wifi networks that he'll be able to connect to and the 3g will just be a waste. when he's at home he can connect to his wireless

32gb is large, unless he's using the ipad as a media player also (not his iphone/mp3player/normal phone/whatever) he won't be getting near that limit. i have less than half of my 32gb phone filled and 8gb of that is music. the other 6-7gb is games/utilities and i have a lot of those I know i could cut down on. i don't know what the price difference will be between 16 and 32, if he's a gamer/techie then the $100-ish extra might be worth it, but 16gb should be more than enough for most people
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    if he's taking it to college with him, I'd look into the wifi ones only. Unless he's going to a weird place, most all universities have campus-wide wifi networks that he'll be able to connect to and the 3g will just be a waste. when he's at home he can connect to his wireless

32gb is large, unless he's using the ipad as a media player also (not his iphone/mp3player/normal phone/whatever) he won't be getting near that limit. i have less than half of my 32gb phone filled and 8gb of that is music. the other 6-7gb is games/utilities and i have a lot of those I know i could cut down on. i don't know what the price difference will be between 16 and 32, if he's a gamer/techie then the $100-ish extra might be worth it, but 16gb should be more than enough for most people
    hmm interesting....

(I have 16gb on my Nokia X6 phone lol... it's barely enough.... and he has the same phone (he tried to get the same deal as me lol but it didn't work so well, got mine for £10 a month with a £50 upfront, he got his for £25 a month with a £100 upfront lol....)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    It should be noted to OP that not all universities are the same. The big university close to where I live covers almost half a city and it would be impossible to have wireless support over the entire area as it's several km^2. That speaks for Sweden though, and seen as OP is from the UK I'm not sure what the deal is there. Afaik, their university/campus area tends to be more compact (got friends studying in S:t Andrews) but I'm still pretty confident that WiFi isn't offered in, for example, every park in the area.

The point about 16gb and 32gb is very valid though. 16gb will be enough for the average user, but I tend to think of tablets as media machines (gaming, movies) and a HD movie, or even a potent 3D game (RAGE anyone?) can cover well over a gigabyte or two.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-24 at 11:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be noted to OP that not all universities are the same. The big university close to where I live covers almost half a city and it would be impossible to have wireless support over the entire area is it's several km^2. That speaks for Sweden though, and seen as OP is from UK I'm not sure what the deal is there. Afaik, their university/campus area tends to be more compact (got friends studying in S:t Andrews) but I'm still pretty confident that WiFi isn't offered in, for example, every park in the area.

The point about 16gb and 32gb is very valid though. 16gb will be enough for the average user, but I tend to think of tablets as media machines (gaming, movies) and a HD movie, or even a potent 3D game (RAGE anyone?) can cover well over a gigabyte or two.
    Yeah in the UK I think they pretty much all have full coverage of all their buildings at least, perhaps not the playing fields.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apple heavily regulates the prices retailers place on their products. You probably won't find any price variance versus their online store. Depending on how tech savvy the user is, you can fairly easily set up streaming from your computer via cheap apps. The advantage of this being, you don't need videos on the device, and can get the smaller capacity one.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    hmm interesting....

(I have 16gb on my Nokia X6 phone lol... it's barely enough.... and he has the same phone (he tried to get the same deal as me lol but it didn't work so well, got mine for £10 a month with a £50 upfront, he got his for £25 a month with a £100 upfront lol....)
    Hmm, that reminds me of what KPN is doing here... (telecommunications)
    Here we have to pay extra for internet via 3G now. alot extra, from €10/month for unlimited internet to €30 for the first gig and €5 for every 250 mb extra. This is because internet was taking over the other options (calling and SMS) and it was getting too expensive.
    Meanwhile in Belgium: Base, a daughtercompany of KPN, offers something new. Unlimited internet....

damn you KPN, damn you. Happy I'm not one of their customers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Hmm, that reminds me of what KPN is doing here... (telecommunications)
    Here we have to pay extra for internet via 3G now. alot extra, from €10/month for unlimited internet to €30 for the first gig and €5 for every 250 mb extra. This is because internet was taking over the other options (calling and SMS) and it was getting too expensive.
    Meanwhile in Belgium: Base, a daughtercompany of KPN, offers something new. Unlimited internet....

damn you KPN, damn you. Happy I'm not one of their customers...
    Oh we got the same deal (3000 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile internet (which is only mobile because its so slow here in the UK it's really not worth using on a laptop more than just in the car while waiting for someone).... he just pays more for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Oh we got the same deal (3000 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile internet (which is only mobile because its so slow here in the UK it's really not worth using on a laptop more than just in the car while waiting for someone).... he just pays more for it...
    If I would get the same deal as I have now, it'd cost me 30% extra (if I went to KPN)....

And for the iPad, either wait for the iPad 3 or get the 32GB, wifi, 3G iPad 2. That way he can also use it in the bus or at spots where there is no Wifi at the uni.

And this:
    I concur with this guy, he sounds reasonable ^^