Can't play wow on college campus or can't connect to Steam

Ok i can't connect to steam at all. But i can log into wow and see all my characters but when i click on 1 of my characters it starts to load then i DC
    Im not sure if its a port problem or what.

I already called the internet providers and they said they block certain ports for security purposes.

if any one knows how to get around this or can help me out that would be great.

Well i can play Starcraft 2 fine if that means anything?
    Last edited by Deathtalk; 2011-08-25 at 01:32 AM. Reason: want too

Probably the IP rep didn't really know what WoW ports were being used by WoW, and just gave you a generic response.

It could be that your campus parses incoming packets and scraps ones with known uses, going to known ports. Since you are on campus the incoming data could be easily filtered before it gets to the dorms. Or it's just an oversight on their part.

WoW plays on specific ports (as do other apps), so there may be no workaround for this, unless you can get the data before it gets filtered.

Alternate option :

AOL dialup! (not being mean, maybe a temporary solution until you get answers)
    play from local internet cafe
    contact Blizzard & inquire (probably little they can do, but may be educational none-the-less & inquiries are free)
    contact IP again and probe further - sounds like that rep wasn't particularly helpful.

from
    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html

World of Warcraftt
    port = 3724
    online game

Blizzard Downloader
    World of Warcraft
    port = varies
    Battle.net and BitTorrent
    downloads patches for World of Warcraft

this jives with:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...P_port_numbers

but I see that Club Penguin also uses the same port as WoW. Maybe thats what is really being blocked. (http://www.clubpenguin.com/)
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-08-25 at 01:13 AM.

Well if they haven't changed anything since i used port forwarding for WoW, the login screen and actual in game use different ports, so that may be why you are able to log in, but not actually get in game. Just google what ports you need open for WoW, then maybe ask if you can get that port forwarded by the IT rep? Not sure about how that would go for college campus though.

Some colleges have WoW blocked. Very few but some do. Try opening WoW directly not going through the browser.

Deleted
    could you just ask your college if they are blocking it?
    sorry didnt read it properly, that sucks TBH, hope you can find a way round it, i stayed at my friends flat once while he was at uni, and they blocked loads on their network, was really annoying.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Almost all colleges limit the amount of bandwidth computers can draw from the network in order for all users to not see performance constraints. They can and will ban you if you try to circumvent their system as well.

Deleted
    In my past experience I had to figure out a way for me to be capable of playing from campus, I used PingFuIris and with it it worked wonderfully.
    the only issue is that you have to pay to be able to use this, but it does give you a trial time to test it, so feel free to do so.

I had the same problem. I used wowtunnels and it worked perfectly. It costs like $3 a month.