Heroic Ryolith 10

I run in a 10 man guild

Tanks - Prot Pally or Feral Druid
    Healers - Resto Shaman/Holy Pally/Disc or Holy Priest
    Dps - Fury Warrior/Frost DK/Ret Pally/Shadow Priest/Arcane Mage/Marksman Hunter

We downed Shannox after a few hours of wiping on him. Went to attempt Lord Ryolith, can't seem to get him past 80% health.

We have the three melee driving and the three ranged on adds full time (with us hitting the legs when we can). He is always at 70%-80% with a minute to go until superheated with somewhere around 40-30 stacks of armor on him. The drivers are doing a decent job.

Is it just not enough dps or are we just missing something?

You should be completely ignoring the Obsidians that spawn when he runs over a volcano. Prioritizing them isn't really necessary. Not sure if that's something you guys were doing beforehand. We usually begin dumping our full dps on the legs at around 40 stacks of armor and have him nearly dead before superheated.

The fight is definitely a DPS race. If you don't make it into p2 before superheated, you're going to be in trouble. You need to maximize as much DPS up time on the legs as possible without letting the adds get out of control.

You may also want to consider 2 healing it and bringing another DPS. We've never even attempted to 3 heal the fight. It's also not necessary to bring 2 tanks, but I believe your guild is aware of that by the way you listed your raid comp.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

First off, this is best done with 1 tank and 2 healers, so if one of your tanks and healers has a DPS offspec, I'd go with that. For no particular reason I think a pPaladin would be the better tank and the Priest/Shaman going shadow/elemental would be a decent option. As for the fragments, have your Death Knight round them up and just AoE them down fast (on top of the legs of course). Don't worry about the liquids AT ALL, use traps, glyph'ed Holy Wrath, etc. to just slow them down and have them cleaved down by accidental damage.

About the driving, we have 2 full time drivers and a 3rd one to assist with harder turns (360 ones namely). In your case I'd recommend the fWarrior and rPaladin with the driving and Mage or Hunter help with hard turns. Every other DPS focuses on whichever add is up, fragments or sparks. You WANT to be getting to 25% before the 5 minute mark so you don't get Superheated going into P2. You also want to start focusing on the legs more for the push around 20-30 armor. Remind your sPriest to DoT up the legs. Don't be shy about using your lust/warp before the 5 minute mark.

What exactly are you dying to though? Make sure your drivers aren't driving over inactive volcanoes and raid not getting hit by fissures.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

You are dpsing too slow. Scrap a healer and try using prismatic elixir and best battle elixir. Will reduce alot of dmg roughly 2 mil. We are hitting 50% health with 20 - 10 armor. Lust then (lprolly 45 sec til super) and get everyone topped and survive stomps ftw.

iPhones suck here

Quote Originally Posted by pOnOs View Post
    so how do you guise think in 10m which one is harder - (H)Ryolith or (H)Shannox?
    my guild fails miserably on (H)Shannox for past 3 weeks so...
    I'd say Rhyolith, Shannox is just dependent on not letting Rageface refresh his buff stack (which is just trapping him ~10 stacks and having the whole raid shift) and getting the raid member out of Face Rage ASAP (which is pretty easy unless your whole raid is DoT-based lol). There are finer details of course, but overall I think Rhyolith is just slightly more difficult.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all

Mainly dying to him reaching superheated before we are even close to phase 2, and a few times just a spark being up when the next group of fragments spawn causing them to just hit the healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Def run 2 healers on this, go Holy Pally and Disc priest(That bubble is the tits for phase 2).
    Stick with melee on the legs as we have found that to work the best for steering.
    When you have just over a minute(Like a minute ten, minute twenty) to go on super heated, finish off any small adds you have then swap all dps to a leg and blow hero. You nuke the piss out of him and ignore the big add when he spawns. Try to avoid having him step on any inactive volcanos at this point as that will more then likely mean you are screwed during phase 2.

Disc bubble at the start of phase 2, top everyone up, divine guardian and aura mastery + personal CD's on second stomp, if he isn't dead or damn close to it by the third stomp you are lacking the dps needed.

Edit- I should mention that as an arcane mage I actually run my alsyrazor fire spec(Full mastery reforging and glyph of living bomb instead of fireball) on this fight and we have 0 issue with adds. I do slightly less damage to the big adds but burning down the little guys fast is a major help as the ranged can swap to killing the slimes.
    Last edited by Saegno; 2011-08-25 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

10x a lot, I just dont get why do we fail on hShannox so hard.
    we have assigned ArcaneMage and an Hunter (of unknown spec because I dont know whats his spec) to deepsing Face Rage, and then... we fail and fail at trapping Rageface.. can you give me somekind of a hint on it?.
    We have an aMage and Hunter doing it too, Hunter is marksmanship and just saves up his Chimera Shot whenever he feels a Face Rage is pending. The main thing is to keep an eye out for Rageface's buff, once it's close to 10 stacks, it's time to trap, make SURE that Rageface doesn't trigger Immolation Traps and gets Wary while you're trying to trap him, otherwise you're looking at 20 stacks of that buff and could be bad news. If you happen to have a Rogue in the raid, you can have him get rid of the immolations hehe. How we usually deal with trapping Rageface is actually having the Face Rage guys responsible of it, so we have those guys stand by an Crystal Prison Trap and wait for the next Face Rage and once we break Rageface out of it, that guy who broke him out will have aggro and trap, then the whole raid shifts. However, sometimes you may need to have the guy currently with aggro trap the dog themselves.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to manually drop Rageface's buff, that's possible too. After breaking Face Rage with your Hunter or Mage, that person can run really really far (using Disengage, Blink, etc.) and then using Feign Death or Invisibility (but make sure that the person doesn't run so far that the boss gains the separation buff hehe) so the dog aggros to someone else and by the time it gets to the new target, the buff should be gone. Like I said though, this should be your absolute last choice haha. The main thing really is that the whole raid needs to know that after Rageface is trapped, they're not in the clear YET. One thing you should know, which is actually really nice, if the dude being Face Rage'ed is far from the Hunter and Mage and they break it, if your Hunter or Mage (whoever does the breaking) positions themselves behind a prison trap (between Rageface and the Hunter/Mage) and NOT let Rageface get a hit off on that person, your raid pretty much doesn't need to move away from the trap since the buff doesn't refresh, just a nice thing to know.

Last thing, ALWAYS call out locations of prison traps. There should always be one trap for Rageface and another for Riplimb. I didn't really go over Riplimb but that one's a little bit more self-explanatory. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2011-08-25 at 05:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    we have assigned ArcaneMage and an Hunter (of unknown spec because I dont know whats his spec) to deepsing Face Rage, and then... we fail and fail at trapping Rageface.. can you give me somekind of a hint on it?.
    Don't really need to trap him at all except maybe at the end and even then it's just for comfort.

Have a hunter be the only one breaking facerage unless of course he is targeted, then you have the mage.
    When the hunter breaks it he goes cheetah right off the bat and kites him away, avoiding any crystal traps. When rageface gets close or you are getting too far away he feigns death/deterrence and rage will run back to the raid. This allows for you to not waste traps on him and his stacks to reset. You can use all traps for trapping riplimb.

This is what we use for 10man and we 1 shot it pretty much every time.

If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.

Hints if you want them, make sure people aren't standing on top or very near to traps when Rageface starts his Face Rage, so he doesn't become wary (esp to damn immolation traps). You can get lucky sometimes in that whoever is Face Raged will be standing too close to a Crystal Prison Trap and trap him. Harder getting stacks reset after however. The big thing here is knowing that whoever breaks the Face Rage will be chased next. THAT person should know where or be near to a Crystal Prison Trap. Kite him onto it, and move the WHOLE RAID away from that trap. Easy once you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    Def run 2 healers on this, go Holy Pally and Disc priest(That bubble is the tits for phase 2).
    Stick with melee on the legs as we have found that to work the best for steering.
    When you have just over a minute(Like a minute ten, minute twenty) to go on super heated, finish off any small adds you have then swap all dps to a leg and blow hero. You nuke the piss out of him and ignore the big add when he spawns. Try to avoid having him step on any inactive volcanos at this point as that will more then likely mean you are screwed during phase 2.

Disc bubble at the start of phase 2, top everyone up, divine guardian and aura mastery + personal CD's on second stomp, if he isn't dead or damn close to it by the third stomp you are lacking the dps needed.

Edit- I should mention that as an arcane mage I actually run my alsyrazor fire spec(Full mastery reforging and glyph of living bomb instead of fireball) on this fight and we have 0 issue with adds. I do slightly less damage to the big adds but burning down the little guys fast is a major help as the ranged can swap to killing the slimes.
    So about how much health would Ryolith need to have by the fourth spark spawn for it to be even worth it not to just wipe it and start over?

Aim to have the boss lower than 30 armor at the 4 minute mark and definitely close to or less than 50%. I believe the 4th spark spawns around the 4:15 mark right? Don't be afraid to use a lust/warp to push P2, but time it so that you have as much lust/warp during P2 though. In other words, if you think you can push P2 ways before the 5 minute mark without a lust/warp, save it, otherwise, use it to go into P2. I'd aim for 4:45 as the P2 mark because for some reason when we go into P2 at 5 minutes, he has like a few Superheated stacks already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karshda View Post
    So about how much health would Ryolith need to have by the fourth spark spawn for it to be even worth it not to just wipe it and start over?
    Pretty much what the above post said. We aim for 40 or less stacks and as low HP as we can but on the kills we have had IIRC it was around 53% but no more then 60%. First kill we blew hero at around 45 seconds left till super heated and nuked a leg.

As for wiping it, unless you have people dead, don't wipe it. This fight is so RNG that you never know what could happen.

Deleted
    Heroic rhyolith can be quite rng, sometimes (in our case a lot of times) the volcano positions are way accross the entire platform and made us wipe because of taking too much damage. However keep trying, just put 2 people on the legs, 2 good hunters on the fragments, and all other ranged with the hunters on the sparks. Help on the legs during iddle time, however please listen to the one who's in command of steering or you will screw up the movement. Use a good healer cooldown rotation. Last but not least, at 50% hp of the legs pop heroism and nuke them down to 25% asap to push the phase before superheated. Bear in mind it takes some time to actually get the kill, just don't give up!

This guy took us 3 weeks to get, we finally figured out what we did on the feet was screwing us up. We had me (ret pally) and feral cat switching to turn the feet while a fury warrior and marksman hunter stayed on the feet (one on each). Well we learned that the trick to the boss is actual physical hits instead of special attacks is what turns the boss, so I switched with the fury warrior on switching feet and stayed on one.

With that being said what I think you should do is have the feral druid go dps cat first off. Have the DK and cat attack the left leg and the ret pally and fury warrior on the right leg. When the boss needs to be turned a certain direction you just have the cat and the fury warrior be the "drivers" by switching to the opposite leg. So say you want him to go left, then the dk(who should always be on the left leg), the cat and the fury warrior should be on the left while the ret pally stays on the right. This way you don't go too crazy with him doing 180's and also have a steady flow of dps on the boss. The Shadow Priest, Arcane Mage and Hunter will kill the other adds as needed. If you do a full switch eventually to push the boss into a phase you should also assign the 3 dps to legs (2 to a leg and 1 to the other). We also assign a dps to killing obsidian since the sparks and fragments are easy to kill with just 2 dps, but I'd say use 3 until you get the rest of the stuff down.