Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Can D3 replace a MMO?

I admit that I am not 100% sure on how D3's multiplayer is going to work.

Do people create their own servers for a number of people to join or will there be servers provided by Blizzard as they do with WoW? Whatever the answer, how many people can play together at a time?

Now with the AH being there, it seems that D3 can really be played like a good old grind MMO. If I am correct in saying this, does it mean some people will abandon their current MMOs to play D3 full time?

Any opinions on this?

It's most likely going to be Battle.net style like D2, Starcraft and Starcraft II; whereas you create a game and people can join to play with you.

From what I've read; 4 people can be in a game together.

And yes, it may very well replace an MMO for some of us, I used to play D2 as much as I play WoW now so it's a possibility.

On top of that, you can get money from just playing the game and getting rare items; WoW doesn't offer that, they make you pay 15$ a month and you have no way of making it back: D3 has no monthly fee and all they ask for is a small portion of what you make :]

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    I admit that I am not 100% sure on how D3's multiplayer is going to work.

Do people create their own servers for a number of people to join or will there be servers provided by Blizzard as they do with WoW? Whatever the answer, how many people can play together at a time?

Now with the AH being there, it seems that D3 can really be played like a good old grind MMO. If I am correct in saying this, does it mean some people will abandon their current MMOs to play D3 full time?

Any opinions on this?
    4 At a time this go around last I heard

It won't replace any MMO by a long shot unless people liked being the lone wolf in MMOs to start with. There's no wide open hub of any sort, just an instanced world you and some buddies go nuts in.

Deleted
    It may hurt my WoW activity for an about 6 months, but later I think, I will split my free time between them. No, it won't replace a MMO

D1 and D2 were great, I spent many hours on both of them in multiplayer. But that was 10 - 15 years ago, when the MMO market was no where as huge as it is today. I mean, thinking back to D2, and thinking what the majority of playing it actually was... Create a character, grind endless cow levels until you were high enough level to grind endless Bloody Hills runs. Get high enough, start grinding boss levels (which only took minutes each) to get gear. Is that all D3 is going to be too? Now I know it's the same basic principal with an MMO, grind to max level, grind to get gear, but it's just much more involved and in depth than a hack and slash game traditionally is.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arschmade View Post
    No. A Hack'n'Slay is never a game you can play 24/7. Only StarCraft and SWTOR will be like that
    Unless your MF'ing all day, I believe you can do the whole 24/7 thing without any problems. Oh the memories of farming Pindleskin/Mephis etc

Good memories

Anyways It's going to replace my MMO Stuff for sure; Been waiting for this for a very long time and I plan on be dedicated full time

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it can replace an MMO, people used to (and still do) play it hours a day.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Of course it can replace an MMO, people used to (and still do) play it hours a day.
    That's a weird thought.. the graphics alone hurt my head.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    That's a weird thought.. the graphics alone hurt my head.
    Graphics doesn't exactly matter in most cases least in my opinion, as long as I'm having fun and enjoying myself just like I did with the past Diablo's. Couldn't careless I play it 24/7 until my eyes bleed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    Graphics doesn't exactly matter in most cases least in my opinion, as long as I'm having fun and enjoying myself just like I did with the past Diablo's. Couldn't careless I play it 24/7 until my eyes bleed
    With a game like Diablo, it kinda matters. Plus the movement/gameplay is so archaic.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Deleted
    d3 and guild wars 2 will be a nice combo..... so no it will not replace mmos for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    Unless your MF'ing all day, I believe you can do the whole 24/7 thing without any problems. Oh the memories of farming Pindleskin/Mephis etc

Good memories

Anyways It's going to replace my MMO Stuff for sure; Been waiting for this for a very long time and I plan on be dedicated full time
    ah man, mf-ing ftw - i used to play d2 for hours on end just constantly mf running, even used to take my free periods from school to go home and do some sneaky mf runs, haha.
    literally cant wait for diablo3 and its not about the graphics, its about raging in there slashing up the armys of the undead, just nuking as many mobs as you can all over the place all the time, haha - splatting blood all over the place and picking up all the piles of gold lol.
    i know this sentence is about d2 but there was something pretty satisfying about spamming lightning fury on hundreds of cows as they all just went 'moo moo mooo' untill they died on the floor or running pindle/meph for the 9000th time to finally get some high level unique item.

there was actually quite a good/interesting story though if u actually stood to listen or talk to the npc's in the game to 'get' what was going on as you did the quests for them. i hope d3 has a nice story to keep pulling you along too..

as for replacing an mmo - i reckon it will certainly pull large amounts of people onto it for a fair length of time, regardless of what other games there are about at the time. its one of those games, i reckon lots of 'old skool' d1/d2 players/fans will be straight on it, and id imagine thats a fair amount of people.
    Last edited by monkfish; 2011-08-25 at 12:20 PM.
    Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Just wait for Tirion Fordring to come back from ICC singing "I got 99 problems but a Lich ain't one".
    Armoury

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
    d3 and guild wars 2 will be a nice combo..... so no it will not replace mmos for me
    Couldn't agree more! It's so close I can almost smell it.

Since D3 is b2p, I consider it a game to play alongside with a MMO. Same goes for GW2.

However, I'm so bored of MMOs right now I'm not really finding the $15 a month worth it anymore. I'll probably play GW2 because there's no monthly fee, and I'll def be giving D3 a shot.

Well, any activity can "replace an mmo" if you do it frequently enough that you have no time left for said MMO.

But more on topic: yeah, in my case I will probably stop playing WoW so much, or completely, once I start playing D3. There are only a limited number of spare hours in a day!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I think there are good times in front of us. Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2..no monthly fees and still MMO feel.. I love it ..

I am not sure if Diablo 3 can replace MMO.. but after watching newest skill videos, Diablo 3 will replace any game (for me) when it will be released..at least for a few months for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see D3 being a replacement for an mmo for a ton of people. I played it for countless hours for 2 years or more. Only when the duping went way out of control and wow launched did i migrate away from it.

It was a great way to play with friends, public or solo if you desired. It will put a huge dent into wow subs but as blizz said at least the sub loss translates into retaining customers just under a different title.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2011-08-25 at 06:41 PM.

If it's anything like D2, (I'm sure it is) it will definitely replace an MMO for a while. The disclaimer there is the 'for a while' part. The vast majority won't be playing it nonstop like they would with WoW. But hey, that's what's nice about B2P, play on and off every couple months.

I think for many it will depend on release timing.

For some if D3 comes out before SWTOR or GW2, then it might hinder but nor fully replace those MMO's. (I'm not counting WOW as almost any new game at this point to me is better than WOW - People will jump off the WOW ship for a multitude of games that are coming out pretty soon and not just other MMO's)

If D3 comes out after those, then I doubt it will be much of a hindrance at all. The games are just to different in playing style.

It will depend on which one you get hooked on first IMHO.

Deleted
    Diablo 3 is not an mmo. In fact the maximum amount of people in your party will probably only be 4-5 and the game is instanced.