Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

6970s back in stock!

At least at Newegg, the 6970s have reappeared. Article speculating on why they were missing here http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editori...All-6970s-Gone
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Woohoo! Now Asmekiel can... oh.

Err, no....
    Nothing to see in the stores here. And I want the Asus DCII cards :P

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    The TF3 ones from MSI are in stock at least.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Err, no....
    Nothing to see in the stores here. And I want the Asus DCII cards :P
    U jelly? No, but I lurves mine.

I'm happy for you, America. Now you don't have to settle for the GTX570 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    The TF3 ones from MSI are in stock at least.
    Only 6970 I can find with a TF3 cooler on it here is a 6970 Lightning. Also out of stock XD

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    U jelly? No, but I lurves mine.

I'm happy for you, America. Now you don't have to settle for the GTX570 anymore.
    If this card is coming back to Europe also within 2 weeks, I'm going to wait But I have my doubts....

Only 6970 I can find with a TF3 cooler on it here is a 6970 Lightning. Also out of stock XD

If this card is coming back to Europe also within 2 weeks, I'm going to wait But I have my doubts....
    Has to come sometime, so why not within two weeks?
    TwinFrozrs are actually pretty good. I wouldn't buy one, of course, but they aren't too shabby.

Has to come sometime, so why not within two weeks?
    TwinFrozrs are actually pretty good. I wouldn't buy one, of course, but they aren't too shabby.
    After two weeks of research I only had two choices left. The MSI 6970 with a Twin Frozr III cooler in whatever edition or the Asus DCII 6970.
    Given that the 6970 Lightning was out of stock to begin with, there was only one option left. The Asus one. And now even that one is gone -_-

That was when the idea of getting the GTX570 DCII came to my mind... I'm a little autistic on these kind of things, suddenly changing to a 570 is a nightmare for me.
    Maybe it's because of my ADD, maybe not.. who knows.

The GTX570 is a fine card, but I'd still get the HD6970 if I had the choice. And I had. And I did.
    But with the performance and oomph in todays hardware, you can overlook the tiny differences, and look at what functions you want instead. 3D-gaming and photoshop, or everything else.

The GTX570 is a fine card, but I'd still get the HD6970 if I had the choice. And I had. And I did.
    But with the performance and oomph in todays hardware, you can overlook the tiny differences, and look at what functions you want instead. 3D-gaming and photoshop, or everything else.
    I only have 1 screen, maybe a second next year or so. And I don't care about 3D at all.
    So the gimmicks of 3D support, Nvidia Surround vs AMD EyeFinity and such are all a non-issue. What is an issue however, is picture quality. There used to be differences in picture quality between AMD and Nvidia, as far as I know this is nonexistant anymore for colours. But I did hear something about the way Nvidia handles anti-aliasing different than AMD. AMD's AA apparently makes more sharp lines with AA, while Nvidia likes to blur it more. At least, that's what I've heard.
    That's a reason to stick with AMD. Unless this is also old news and Nvidia's and AMD's AA are giving the same results again.

Anti-aliasing is a fun thing. 8x all the way ofcourse. People saying they don't notice any difference between 8x and 2x really need glasses, I see the difference between 8x and 4x easily :| But then again, I play games like Crysis to enjoy the view. I sometimes even stop to enjoy the scenery
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-26 at 12:11 AM. Reason: typo XD

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll tell ya, CUDA acceleration in Photoshop was worth replacing a 6870 for.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like my NVidia card for other reasons. They smash AMD at folding. I typically find they have better driver support as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like my NVidia card for other reasons. They smash AMD at folding. I typically find they have better driver support as well.
    I personally find Forceware just as bleh as Catalyst. nVidia's control center is somewhat lacking compared to CCC as well.

I much prefer AMDs drivers and CCC so far. I've only had nVidia-cards up to July '11.

I only have 1 screen, maybe a second next year or so. And I don't care about 3D at all.
    So the gimmicks of 3D support, Nvidia Surround vs AMD EyeFinity and such are all a non-issue. What is an issue however, is picture quality. There used to be differences in picture quality between AMD and Nvidia, as far as I know this is nonexistant anymore for colours. But I did hear something about the way Nvidia handles anti-aliasing different than AMD. AMD's AA apparently makes more sharp lines with AA, while Nvidia likes to blur it more. At least, that's what I've heard.
    That's a reason to stick with AMD. Unless this is also old news and Nvidia's and AMD's AA are giving the same results again.

Anti-aliasing is a fun thing. 8x all the way ofcourse. People saying they don't notice any difference between 8x and 2x really need glasses, I see the difference between 8x and 4x easily :| But then again, I play games like Crysis to enjoy the view. I sometimes even stop to enjoy the scenery

You've got that exactly backward. AMD blurs, Nvidia is sharper. the nvidia 5 series is also vastly superior in AA than the ati 6 series is atm. I'm not talking quality, I'm talking the ability to handle it, and not kneecap yourself.

IMO, w/ ati's lackluster driver support, and awful AA abilities, I'd pick a 570.

I will however say, the 6970 does peform tied w/, just below to the 580, but the 570 is right on its heals.. In the end its up to what you want.
    I'm no fan boy. I'm just tired of sub par components from AMD.. Bad processors, bad gpu's.

Quote Originally Posted by exekution View Post
    You've got that exactly backward. AMD blurs, Nvidia is sharper. the nvidia 5 series is also vastly superior in AA than the ati 6 series is atm. I'm not talking quality, I'm talking the ability to handle it, and not kneecap yourself.

IMO, w/ ati's lackluster driver support, and awful AA abilities, I'd pick a 570.

I will however say, the 6970 does peform tied w/, just below to the 580, but the 570 is right on its heals.. In the end its up to what you want.
    I'm no fan boy. I'm just tired of sub par components from AMD.. Bad processors, bad gpu's.
    O, wow. So it is old news :O Even with this I get an eerie feeling going Nvidia.
    Asks forums psych "Is this weird?" lol

O, wow. So it is old news :O Even with this I get an eerie feeling going Nvidia.
    Asks forums psych "Is this weird?" lol
    heh Can't say tbh.

All I know is I'm happier being back w/ nvidia. Had way too many driver issues w/ ati last 2 years.

In the end its preference.

Drivers are barely debatable at this time. Red team has brought their A-Game for the drivers for the past year now, they've been pretty much flawless for single-card setups (you know, where it counts .) Their GPUs have been some of the best, and right now there's virtually no difference between Red and Green, aside from PhysX and price. And to be fair, when Nvidia screws up their drivers, they tend to destroy the cards instead of just give annoying little bugs, hehe.

Regarding AA, though, AMD's AA is only blurry when you use MLAA since that's really the effect that that type of AA does. When forcing MSAA, AMSAA or SSAA via CCC or just enabling it within games, there's no difference between the two brands. Though, for some reason, AMD deems it necessary to essentially disable AA for certain games (SC2 comes to mind.. but I can understand why they say that, as framerate can make a huge difference when playing competitively), it's nigh unnecessary at higher resolutions.

All in all, though, as stated, it's user preference. I'm keeping a close eye on Keplar and Southern Islands, hopefully it'll be like it was this round with plenty of awesome cards to choose from.

And if you want to bring the driver-issue to light, I'll point you toward the GTX590 and the drivers it both shipped with and was availible at the time.
    Caused plenty-a-brickin', and not only from overclockers.