10+ Year Old Account

Stuck in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, help! (spoilerz?)

Hey guys.. and as embarassing as this is, I'm a bit stuck.

I'm in Hengsha, done all the quests (including side-quests) up until the quest 'Shanghai Justice'.. now I've interrogated Lee and I was told by Faidrah to go hack the Hive Security Protocols. I found it and went to hacking....

Nope.avi

I just... can't hack it. I don't know why but it's just beyond my skill in hacking in that game. I've tried almost 20 times and still not a single budge. So I resorted to going and trying to look up the code for it online.. being a fairly new game, not finding much was okay - I found the code for it, supposedly '0415', but even that's not working.

Help/tips/ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    Hey guys.. and as embarassing as this is, I'm a bit stuck.

I'm in Hengsha, done all the quests (including side-quests) up until the quest 'Shanghai Justice'.. now I've interrogated Lee and I was told by Faidrah to go hack the Hive Security Protocols. I found it and went to hacking....

Nope.avi

I just... can't hack it. I don't know why but it's just beyond my skill in hacking in that game. I've tried almost 20 times and still not a single budge. So I resorted to going and trying to look up the code for it online.. being a fairly new game, not finding much was okay - I found the code for it, supposedly '0415', but even that's not working.

Help/tips/ideas?
    First, how are your praxis spent? Do you have stealth hacking? Fortify?

I did that part with max stealth hacking so most of my detection percentages were very low and I made it to the last node before being tracked.

Do you understand how hacking works as a whole? How spam folders work? The numbers on the files? Directional hack routes? Do you have any stops or nukes? Let me know what I'm dealing with here so I can explain it correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont have much any points in hacking, nor do I have much a grasp on how it works, admittedly. I have no more oh the powerups - i used them all trying to hack it those 20 odd times. I have points into hacking capture 4 and thsts it. Sorry for spelling, on ipod now and heading 2 bed.

Alright so I'll help as much as I can but I can't promise anything.

First I would go back out into the city and find the dealers. I think there is one in the "apartments" who sell 5 nukes and 5 stops. If you already exhausted his supply then I think you can snoop around a bit and find some.

Second, you need to understand how the system works.

The higher the hack level required, the shorter the timer will be when detected. Stops are essential for beating them sometimes if you do not have stealth hacking augments.

Each node (folder) has a chance of you being detected while you capture it. This percentage is shown when you click on the node.

nodes you own can be fortified. Doing this increases the timer on you being shut down due to your hacks being tougher to track. Fortification is nice, if the percentage is low or you are already detected.

Each node has a number on the folder. The higher the number, the longer it takes to capture the node and the higher the chance of detection on acquisition. On certain occasions you can come at a node from two different directions which increases the capture speed. This is also where spam/clearance nodes are useful. This is also where nukes are useful.

Spam/clearance folders reduce the numbers on uncaptured nodes and increase the numbers on nodes you control (making it take longer for you to get caught).

Now that you understand the basics let me try my best to give an example, verbally (with a crappy picture).

Ok, so first of all, find the final node you need to capture. Check out the various paths to get there, the nodes in your way, the numbers on the nodes, spam/clearance node locations and finally click on the nodes you need to acquire (just click, not capture) to see the percentages of getting detected.

With all of that info stored in your noggin, map out your path. Have a back up plan ready. Every single node you attempt to capture you should be ready as if you knew you were going to be detected. In your case, without stealth hacking or stops, your percentage is pretty bad and the timer will beat you. You're going to have to rely on luck. To do this, I would say make a quick save, hack in, and capture your first node on your path. If you get detected, reload your quick save.

Let's pretend for the sake of learning that your hack looks like this:

And let's pretend more that you do not get detected on the first node (the blue arrow). Now you have options. The fact that the clearance node (yellow arrow) is a 5 means it's most likely 100% detect for you. That is your go to folder IMMEDIATELY if you get detected. As in, every single time you start to capture a node, click on that clearance node and be ready to start capturing it.

The red arrow is a node of 3. Your odds of being detected would be 60% or greater, and that ain't good. This is a "don't go that way" example route.

I know it probably sounds confusing but grab a quick save and try various tactics on your attack. The lack of stealth and stop/nukes makes it HARD.

Just remember

plan your route
    know your detect percentages
    know which routes are garbage
    have a clearance/spam node ready
    understand which nodes can be fortified/used after being detected
    be ready to click with furious speed and anger on your predetermined path, sometimes a miss click could cost you the milliseconds needed for a cap

Hope I helped at least a little. After reading over it all, it seems a bit daunting with a sprinkle of confusion...
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2011-08-26 at 05:46 AM.

Deleted
    I think the code is 8010 or 1080 (I found it...random!).But as Isaw the date you wrote asking for help,maybe you have finished the game!Anyway...

I havnt played the game but im sure anything you need on the game and its singleplayer can be found here.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/944090-de...ion/faqs/62845

this is way I was a hacker mostly
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."