An Event to Increase World PVP?

(I posted this in a different thread, but it was kinda off topic, so thought I would post here to get input)

Okay, I'm not all that imaginative, and I'm sure there are holes in this, but at a high-level, what about something like this...

I'm not sure what could do this (there's been other threads regarding world bosses), but some major event or series of events completed by players would need to add to some type of faction specific counter. When this counter reaches a specific number (has to be fairly high to take into account all the people that would be completing this event/series of events), a world event begins. This world event is essentially a mass raid on the opposing faction's capital city (SW / ORG).

An announcement would go out to all players of the faction that satisfied the counter that because of their obvious strength and ability to defeat the blah blah boss (again I'm not very creative), they have decided to continue displaying their strength and take the battle to the Alliance/Horde! A rally point, date, and time (not too far after the faction counter reached the specified number) would be given in the announcement as to when the raid would begin.

At the beginning of the raid, a massive group of horde or alliance mobs (based on the faction that satisfied the counter) would assemble at some predetermined (but changing with each new iteration of the world event) location not too far from the opposing faction's capital city. Players of the attacking faction would have to arrive at the location at the appropriate time and would be automatically sent an invite to join the raid once within range of the raid group.

As the raid started, players of the defending faction would be informed of the incoming raid and automatically sent an invite to join a defensive raid. This invite would go out on a regular interval until the event is over but would not spam those that decline the invite.

If/When the attacking raid reaches the gates of the defending capital city...

1. Those players of the defending faction (all players in the defending raid AND ALL level 85 players not in the defending raid) will phase along with the attacking raid/mobs. This is to prevent interuption of game play for those players that cannot help participate in defending the city due to their level. By phasing the level capped players that aren't in the raid, they are either forced to choose to help and prevent the negative outcome of unsuccessfully defending their city, or sit by and be affected by the outcome.

2. A group of defending mobs appear to assist in defending the city. Vehicles/turrets/etc would become available for use by player characters. (Note: Flight is allowed by both factions.)

-= Outcomes =-

Attackers Successful

Attackers would be determined successful if...

1. Specified points within the city are held for a given amount of time (similar to AB)
    2. All spawned "bosses" of the defending faction are downed

Attacker Rewards

1. removal of all benefits gained from opposing faction due to previous successful raid event
    2. +x% bonus xp to leveling for all non-level capped toons in the attacking faction for 2 weeks or until opposing faction successfully completes raid
    3. +y% bonus honor/valor points gained for 2 weeks (small % but still worth it) or until opposing faction successfully completes raid
    4. +z% bonus rep gained when rep awarded for 2 weeks or until opposing faction successfully completes raid
    5. ability to use speical ground/flying mount until opposing faction successfully completes raid event
    6. vendor prices and AH cut increased by a%, and vendor selling value decreased by b% for opposing faction (affecting ALL levels) for 2 weeks or until opposing faction successfully completes raid

Defenders Successful

Defenders would be determined successful if...

1. All spawned "bosses" that are part of the attacking raid are downed
    2. Specified points within the city are prevented from being controlled for the required amount of time

Defender Rewards

1. removal of all benefits gained from opposing faction due to previous successful raid event
    2. +x% bonus xp to leveling for all non-level capped toons in the defending faction for 1 weeks or until opposing faction successfully completes raid
    3. +y% bonus honor/valor points gained for 1 weeks (small % but still worth it) or until opposing faction successfully completes raid
    4. +z% bonus rep gained when rep awarded for 1 weeks or until opposing faction successfully completes raid
    5. vendor prices and AH cut decreased by a%, and vendor selling value increased by b% for defending faction (affecting ALL levels) for 1 weeks or until opposing faction successfully completes raid

Sorry for the long drawn-out explanation, but it is what it is. thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    you wanna drum up world PvP? go do dailys in Firelands.. not sure about your server, but on mine, the new firelands dailys area is just a huge war at all times. How long have those dailys been out now? and I am still questing to get my FIRST 150 marks lol
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Daxanna/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    its an infinitely large universe, its not only entirely plausible that some of the UFO's that are reported are from humanity distant future, its also entirely possible that they are a race of intelligent oranges here to free their kind from the enslavement and murder that man perpetrates on their less advanced descendant's.

I like the concept. Feels like a mini AQ gate kind of thing. Would be several issues to address like what happens on the servers that are monstrously unbalanced. Also I think the benefits for a successful attack would have to outweigh the benefits of a successful Defence to encourage people to actually help mount the next offensive rather than turtling and waiting for the opposition to come to you.

I agree. I think that's a good way to engage in open world pvp. I guess the biggest problem I've always had with the way open world pvp works now is that there is no sense of importance. By that I mean, that if you and a group of your friends go out and get in a battle with others in the firelands daily questing area, you will gain some honor, but other than that, it doesn't really matter. I just figured that this would have somewhat lasting effects in that the winning side would get buffs and the losing side debuffs. That would urge both sides to do it again and again. Maybe I'm just off base.

Would be several issues to address like what happens on the servers that are monstrously unbalanced. Also I think the benefits for a successful attack would have to outweigh the benefits of a successful Defence to encourage people to actually help mount the next offensive rather than turtling and waiting for the opposition to come to you.
    Good point. Perhaps the number of mobs that spawned on the defensive side would scale based on the ratio between attackers and defenders? As far as encouraging people to mount the next offensive instead of turtling, you're right. Maybe the % increase for the attackers would be significantly higher than the % increase for the defenders upon success. Or access to a separate questing area is only available to the last faction to successfully complete the raid on the opposing faction?
    Last edited by alton250doa; 2011-08-26 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many ppl hate world pvp, if you want to do it go do it yourself, dont force ppl for it by raiding cities as "event"

Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    Many ppl hate world pvp, if you want to do it go do it yourself, dont force ppl for it by raiding cities as "event"
    I guess I didn't see it as forcing them. I don't see why anyone would have to participate. If you are in the main city and don't want to fight to defend it, there's nothing saying you can't do just that. There would be consequences felt by the whole faction if the defense failed, but great rewards for success. What I was trying to do was incorporate PVP and PVE as well as try to build a little pride in the faction that we chose.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would crash the realm server every time the event happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Killing people rewards 12-15g and counts towards the 25 daily cap.Kdun.

Quote Originally Posted by alton250doa View Post
    I guess I didn't see it as forcing them. I don't see why anyone would have to participate. If you are in the main city and don't want to fight to defend it, there's nothing saying you can't do just that. There would be consequences felt by the whole faction if the defense failed, but great rewards for success. What I was trying to do was incorporate PVP and PVE as well as try to build a little pride in the faction that we chose.
    I agree. Nothing about this forces people to engage in the event. It does, however, give a potentially meaningful opportunity to engage in some fun event for those who choose to. I think it would be especially fun for those of us who originally rolled on PvE servers but still enjoy larger, somewhat organized world PvP.

And don't say "server xfer to a PvP server". Easier said than done. And I think this kind of event would even bring something new that PvP servers don't really offer.