Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    Cod uses a engine that gets upgraded ALOT, source doesnt see these sort of upgrades. Visually like with HDR and other elements yes. But the fundamentals for the source engine have not changed, the same collision system is ther, the same AI is there, the same gravity is there.
    While they give the engine a new name (IW 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0) to my knowledge (and in my opinion), the capabilities of the engine are still somewhat limited. From what I've seen, the Source engine, while old, is far more versatile than the IW engine.

FYI here's some of the upgrades the Source engine got

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_...table_upgrades

Sure it's not as often, but the Source engine was SPECTACULAR when it first came out. The physics that exist in that game are still very, very good.

redit:

Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    Valve = Money > All else. Still waiting on HL3 /rolleyes
    When have they ever release a game in a timely fashion. They're just as bad, if not worse, than Blizz :P

Deleted
    Ancient source engine + 4-hour-long videogames just shows that they are not going to put a dime on their game development and they're just pissing their customers in the eye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Half-life 2
    Yeah don't bring that game up.

Half-life 2 was just valve going "HEY GUYSH WE MADE A PHYSICS ENGINE LOOK AT US" Yes valve we're very proud of you.

Now if you could just learn to count to three.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a good engine - runs great games that are still enjoyable by todays standards.

is it aging? yes
    is it too old? no

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The source engine traces it's roots back to Quake 1, which was 1996. Thats a hell of a lot more than 7 years, and it's doing well to have been around so long. It's like the Jenna Jameson of the game engine world.

Just an aside, adding custom textures to TF2 is a completely counterintuitive process and they really need to work on that.
    Last edited by Thingamajig; 2011-08-27 at 08:00 AM.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    While they give the engine a new name (IW 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0) to my knowledge (and in my opinion), the capabilities of the engine are still somewhat limited. From what I've seen, the Source engine, while old, is far more versatile than the IW engine.

FYI here's some of the upgrades the Source engine got

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_...table_upgrades

Sure it's not as often, but the Source engine was SPECTACULAR when it first came out. The physics that exist in that game are still very, very good.

redit:

When have they ever release a game in a timely fashion. They're just as bad, if not worse, than Blizz :P
    Physics are still good but look at what havoks been doing, not just in their main engine but the side engines, the cloth and fabric one for example. Id also love to see part of euphoria in the new source, that AI code was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    Physics are still good but look at what havoks been doing, not just in their main engine but the side engines, the cloth and fabric one for example. Id also love to see part of euphoria in the new source, that AI code was amazing.
    Never played a game with the Euphoria engine, but if the AI is as good as it was in F.E.A.R. (recently beat it after being too terrified to deal with the little girl, screw creepy little girls you can't kill) then that would be amazing (I remember F.E.A.R. AI being some of the best I've played against).

As far as Havok, the Physics were pretty good in F.E.A.R. and Lost Planet 2, but from what I've seen of it I didn't see anything spectacular (do you have any videos of the cloth/fabric physics? I'd be interested to see it).

I'd still love to see Valve release a new Source engine though. Considering how good the first one is, I can only imagine (and not very well) the potential for their next one.

Deleted
    I still love Source. Sure other games look better etc but the engine is so fucking versatile. It's great to mod and work with.