Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Which Video Card

I'm finally going to take the plunge and pick up a new build. I've decided on everything but the video card. I am going to get a 2500k, 8gb of ram, ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Motherboard and am trying to figure out which video card to get. I would like to spend under 225 and the two I am looking at right now are the MSI Cyclone 460 or MSI 6870 Twin Frozr II. Which one of these would you guys suggest, or would you suggest something different
    all together?

10+ Year Old Account
    Between those, I would go with the 6870, but the 560 Ti is a great card if you can stretch your budget.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    As Skelly said, I would advise to try and opt for a 560ti or a 6950. They are a bit more expensive, but the price difference is worth it. Out of the two listed, the 6870 is probably the better choice, especially considering the cooler.

Edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125385 is $15 above the max you listed.

10+ Year Old Account
    This 560 TI is under your budget if you can spend the extra until you get the rebate, and if you can stretch a little more I'd recommend this one.

i would recommend making a push for that extra $15 for the 560Ti or the 6950 listed in the above replies
    i use this to bench test
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=293
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

Go for the 560Ti. Can't go wrong with it.
    Last edited by Genesisfury; 2011-08-29 at 07:07 AM.

Do as everyone else so far has said, pickup a 560 TI. Give this one a shot - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130623

Same price area as another 560 ti listed above, but evga = win .
    Last edited by Epoch; 2011-08-27 at 05:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 25165453757
    I am excite

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
    Do as everyone else so far has said, pickup a 560 TI. Give this one a shot - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130623

Same price area as another 560 ti listed above, but evga = win .
    EVGA cards are great because most have a lifetime warranty, but I would only recommend a stock EVGA card over another card with a stock cooler. The Twin Frozr/Hawk models will be wayy cooler and quieter.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Ohhh! yes, forgot about that. Make sure it's EVGA.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the help. After going to microcenter and picking up a mobo and 2500k with a 40 off in-store rebate, which covers the difference of a 560ti, I'm going to get a
    twin frozr and going to go from a 750 to a 650 power supply to save a little more money. Dont worry, I'm still getting 80plus silver. I keep forgetting to add in a new
    copy of windows when I do these builds, which is always the last thing I get. Also, I was going to get a corsair 600t but am thinking about a Coolermaster cm690 instead which will save me another 50+.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    After using Coolermaster power supplies in store builds I have to suggest the Corsair series. While more expensive the quality of product you are purchasing is very noticeable.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just an update, I sacked up and got a MSI 560ti Twin Frozr. I figured what"s another 30 or 40 bucks. I got a 2500k and mobo from microcenter for $50 off so I justified the more expensive video card. Also got over $100 in rebates and various instant savings on New Egg. I wish I would get everything before the weekend, but it looks like it will be after the holiday.

15+ Year Old Account
    Excellent job finding the best deals, and grats on your amazing GPU.

Now, when you get it up and running join the MMO-C folding team!

folding is bad

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verim View Post
    folding is bad
    I'm sorry, donating your computer for scientific research to help cure cancer and otherwise uncured diseases is bad how?

BTW how do you go about that folding business? I wouldn't mind letting it go overnights or whatnot, usually keep my comp running anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot1291 View Post
    BTW how do you go about that folding business? I wouldn't mind letting it go overnights or whatnot, usually keep my comp running anyways.
    The Folding Thread

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haggled an employee at a Micro Center store near me, on the northern side of Chicago actually, and he gave me my Twin Frozr II MSI GTX 560 Ti for only $213.... try haggling!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I haggled an employee at a Micro Center store near me, on the northern side of Chicago actually, and he gave me my Twin Frozr II MSI GTX 560 Ti for only $213.... try haggling!
    I would have did that as the guy that helped me before was pretty helpful and easy to sway, but the Microcenter near me did not have one in stock.