Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is anyone else tired of this BS?

I am so sick of timed exclusive DLC, and gamestop-preorder only content. Why should consumers get punished for playing on their platform of choice or waiting to buy a game? now honestly I wouldnt mind if pre-orders got an early bonus that regular consumers could buy later. or a little figurine, map, or other non game effecting trinket. However, it should apply to all pre-orders, not just people who buy at shady-stop. But that brings me to my next biggest issue with this BS, planned DLC, if you already have it in dev, put it in the damned game at release, dont sell me some 1/2 finished bs.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6331158...ll%3Btitle%3B7

I'm not a huge fan of payed content to begin with since it's so terribly overpriced 90% of the time. I prefer what CDProjekt does with Witcher 2 and just releases new FREE content every now and then.

Personally, no, I'm not really sick of it. But, I'm a pretty mellow guy.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

IMO all non-free DLC in general is total garbage. Either make it free and available to all kind of like a patch, or if you really want the money, save up all that crap and make an expansion.

Well, technically people who pre-order are paying more for the game than people who buy when the game is released (ie "the time value of money", blah blah). So they're paying more for extra content. The publishers like extra money, so they'll keep doing this... but it's a bit lame for us consumers when there's 2 or 3+ "levels" of a game: basic, basic+bonus, basic+bonus+toys, etc... Especially when the "bonus" content is important to the game, and people get left out.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very yes. Day zero DLC is a horrible development in gaming. (For the uninitiated, it's DLC that is available on the first day of release of the game.) Like the OP posted, if they have it ready for release then chuck it in the game - especially now as digital downloads are beginning to overtake physical game sales.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

Like when pre-orders got an extra power in infamous, or you got extra toons in reach? I dont mind giving them gimisks, but not in game stuff. On another note, I do approve of collectors editions getting in game content, as those dont need to be preordered, hell my walmart still has 2 coppies of sc2 CE

It's kind of annoying. But I can't do anything about it, so I don't get upset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrena View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of payed content to begin with since it's so terribly overpriced 90% of the time. I prefer what CDProjekt does with Witcher 2 and just releases new FREE content every now and then.
    This. I would be completely fine with DLC if it was cheaper, but it's just so overpriced all the time. 6 dollars for a costume? 4 dollars for color changes?

Stuff like that. If DLC was like... one dollar. I would love it.

As for the pre-order stuff... as long as it's real content, then yeah, I agree it should be made available to everyone else at a later time. Most of the time it is. I think it's good though that they're rewarding people who buy it right away before the price goes down.

But yeah, I'm not too upset by it. The games I really want DLC for I'll get. The other ones well... youtube it.

Meh, I don't mind if it's small things like a single weapon or character costume. It's just a way to drive up sales for a certain store.

And somtimes they do become available to everyone, ACB as a good example. With the Da Vinci DLC, they added in the pre-order and CE DLCs along with the Da Vinci content.

Though I only buy DLCs that include big content like new areas and quests/missions, things like that.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Paying for DLC = BS since companies want to milk every penny out of you. Solution don't buy them otherwise this will be the future of gaming.

I understand what you guys mean, but if it wasn't working it wouldn't continue. I honestly don't care either way as long as the quality is good. I think the fact that we are paying nearly the same price for new games over the last 20 years (NES games retailed at $49 new, as did SNES/Genesis/N64/PS games) is pretty nice and I'm okay with this model instead of increasing game prices to $79. The buying public dictates what game companies do, and right now the public is eating up DLC and pre-orders so it will continue until there is a major shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Paying for DLC = BS since companies want to milk every penny out of you. Solution don't buy them otherwise this will be the future of gaming.
    Like CoD, charging you $3 per map.. Even on their older games still

I am not a huge fan of DLC either, but companies have just been taking advantage of this, I don't know how this ball got rolling, but I think every company now looks at DLC in there future in between the selling of there next title, its almost like paying a sub fee if you think about it. Its like, they plan out the story in there game then they are like, "hey once were done want to get started on that DLC story? Or wait man thats a good idea let me mark it down for a possible future DLC"

Deleted
    This is why, amongst other reasons, I prefer to play games on my computer. The downloadable content frenzy appears to be a notch lower then on the consoles. So yeah, it's definitely a bit annoying. I don't mind the packs for €2,- which add like 12 new mini missions and some new unlock able content for your character that much, they are simple add-ons that don't break the story of the game, but give you a bit more content at a reasonable low price point. But the stuff that's €10,- or even €15,-, which are basically just the ending of a game you just bought for €60,- is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaz View Post
    This is why, amongst other reasons, I prefer to play games on my computer. The downloadable content frenzy appears to be a notch lower then on the consoles. So yeah, it's definitely a bit annoying. I don't mind the packs for €2,- which add like 12 new mini missions and some new unlock able content for your character that much, they are simple add-ons that don't break the story of the game, but give you a bit more content at a reasonable low price point. But the stuff that's €10,- or even €15,-, which are basically just the ending of a game you just bought for €60,- is insane.
    I think the fallout series has got to be the worst for this though, I know a lot of people who just pirate those games just because the addons get ridiculous. I tried a fallout DLC dead money for New vegas though, it was pretty scary and well put together, but just after finishing it I felt very meh about the purchase =/ Like this could have just been free or cheap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggiej View Post
    I think the fallout series has got to be the worst for this though, I know a lot of people who just pirate those games just because the addons get ridiculous. I tried a fallout DLC dead money for New vegas though, it was pretty scary and well put together, but just after finishing it I felt very meh about the purchase =/ Like this could have just been free or cheap.
    I don't think any of the Fallout DLC is good unless you're REALLY in to it, maybe with the exception of that DLC that acted like a continuation of the story... just because it felt like the game should've gone on longer. Which kind of... is like you know.

Another one is ME2... though some of it was priced better. There was still a lot of rubbish in it... and they kind of whored it out.

Imo this honestly doesn't bother me. They are just trying to make money. When it bothers me is when like 5 different retailers have different bonus's. I spend 2 weeks trying to decide which place to get hellgate london at since all had a different dye pack.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I normally do not buy pre-orders anyway (for consoles at least). It is a marketing tool obviously. If it did not work then they would have gotten rid of it by now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrena View Post
    Like gaming companies used to