Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Finally building a computer from scratch for the first time...needing opinions

So I am finally undertaking this project, something I have wanted to do for a long time, just never had the drive to do so.
    I am nearing the end of my college days in the networking field and want a computer that can provide many uses (standard desktop duties, potential work related endeavors, obviously some possible gaming, and also allow for future upgrades).

I am simply tired of looking at pre-built machines that I wish had this or that, or wish that it didn't have that or this. And honestly, I am tired of paying such a high overhead to companies for something I could do for cheaper.

So the past few days I have been searching, reading and debating possible hardware and this is the first draft of said list.
    I am looking for opinions and insight from users who have experience building their own rigs and possible tips or alternate purchases I should look into.

As an aside, all prices are through NewEgg.

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2Ghz Socket AM3 125w six-core ($169.99)
    8Gb (2x4Gb) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3-10666) ($45.00)
    West Digital Caviar Black 1Tb 7200 SATA 6.0Gb/s, 3.5" Internal HD ($79.99)
    Thermaltake 750w PSU ($169.99)
    Creative 7.1 chan. X-Fi Ti ($99.99)
    ATI Radeon HD 6770 ($179.99)

And there are several mid-towers I was considering too, but that really isn't on the top of the priority list as I am sure there are plenty of cases that would fit with this setup.

The only piece I have not listed (which is easily identifiable) is the motherboard.
    This is the one piece that I have virtually 0 knowledge of and was just going to take these specs to a local CPU shop to help me build it. However, if someone here could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

This is not a post for "will this set-up run X game at Y settings" type post, because the only games I see myself playing would be easily handled by this set up, or one similar to it.

So if anyone has some insight as to an alternate product or such I am open to suggestions.

For instance:
    For the processor, I was merely looking at one of the best for under $200.00, as I am aware there are plenty that are better above this mark.
    I was looking at a solid-state HD, but for the price I just cannot justify the purchase since this is not a dedicated gaming machine.
    Also, I was not wanting to X-fire or SLI a video card because, well, I just don't need the ability to run 4 monitors (2 at most) or play games that would utilize this technology in the foreseeable future.

So now that I have concluded the post, feel free to bash it, alter it, etc.. at will. Any insight would be awesome, and I already have a feeling of an impending amd vs. intel chipset debate

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mikeadin; 2011-08-28 at 05:08 PM.

Deleted
    Just briefly looked through your post, but before I say anything, what is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Just briefly looked through your post, but before I say anything, what is your budget?
    You know, I probably should have listed that as well...hindsight is a bitch sometimes.

I was "aiming" (and I am using that term loosely) for 600-700(ish) but it is fairly flexible. Not really 'wanting' to hit a 4-digit computer, but I have bought a Gateway FX before that was 1200, so it's not unexplored territory.
    Last edited by Mikeadin; 2011-08-28 at 04:32 PM.

you prrbably dont `need` the sound card - which would open your budget for an SSD as your windows drive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeadin View Post
    You know, I probably should have listed that as well...hindsight is a bitch sometimes.

I was "aiming" for 600-700(ish) but it is fairly flexible. Not really wanting to hit a 4-digit computer, but I could push 800 safely. 900 I would call it max.
    For a 700-800 dollar budget you could get something much better than what you listed.

$700 Build
    Case: Antec 200 $49.99
    Power Supply: Corsair CX500 $59.99
    Motherboard: AsRock Z68 Pro3-M $114.99
    Processor: Intel i5 2500k $219.99
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 $49.99 == OVER BUDGET
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB $38.99
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 $64.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: Asus ENGTX 460 768 MB $144.99
    Total: 731.92 USD == 771.91
    Going over your budget (closer to $900) you could swap to 8Gb RAM and a R6870 or even a R6950/GTX 560ti.

Edit: Also, for a $700-800 build, skip the SSD. It just isn't worth the chunk it steals from such a budget compared to, say, what a better GPU would give you. Longer boot and loading times is something a budget-builder can live with I reckon.

ROFL - an SSD is the best thing to ever happen to my pc - its a world apart from a mechanical drive .

And I apologize Marest, I seemed to have ninja-edited my post while you were typing yours.

I was looking at the Intel i5's to be honest. The i5-760 actually, but settled on the AMD one up above.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=24322048 Seen that on Newegg (not my build).

It has 2 graphics card for you to pick one of them

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=21150367
    Also not bad at all.
    Last edited by JonBeMerkin; 2011-08-28 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    ROFL - an SSD is the best thing to ever happen to my pc - its a world apart from a mechanical drive .
    That is what I hear, but also read in the same article that unless it is a dedicated gaming rig, it really isn't worth the cost/space ratio. What size SSD are you running? Price? Maybe I'll delve a little deeper into the subject.

and thats a $900 build

Deleted
    You have to understand that an SSD, even a cheap 60Gb one, can take up more than 15% of a $700 budget. Given that all the SSD does is increase loading and boot times - it isn't worth it for a budget rig. A better GPU and CPU will improve performance way more than an SSD will in such a build.

And I apologize Marest, I seemed to have ninja-edited my post while you were typing yours.

I was looking at the Intel i5's to be honest. The i5-760 actually, but settled on the AMD one up above.
    Both those CPUs are last generation (old). Going for an i3 2100 (budget) or a i5 2500(k) is a serious recommendation for a modern, $700+, gaming computer.

Intel chips beat out AMD, hands down.... but AMD is cheaper and you don't seem to be too interested in cpu intensive endeavors. So, your setup looks fine. I have no idea how you found a 6970 under $200, that's crazy cheap.

im using a 60gb agility 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227725

have win7 + wow on there , also have an 2xF3`s for storage in raid 0 (on sata 3gb/s) - and even then they dont have the speed of the ssd

edit:

dont even look at an i3 - if you want that route then get a amd A3850 as they spank the i3`s

Quote Originally Posted by Abelf View Post
    Intel chips beat out AMD, hands down.... but AMD is cheaper and you don't seem to be too interested in cpu intensive endeavors. So, your setup looks fine. I have no idea how you found a 6970 under $200, that's crazy cheap.
    Yeah i agree about that 6970 under 200 bucks, hopefully OP can link to that

Quote Originally Posted by Abelf View Post
    I probably didn't, I was doing a lot of tabbing across multiple windows building this list lol.

would be awesome as the cheapest 6970 on newegg is $330

Deleted
    im using a 60gb agility 3
    You just basically proved what I said. That SSD is exactly 15% of a 700 dollar budget, leaving you with 595 for the rest of the computer. Hardly worth it for faster boot and loading times. We are talking 10 vs 40 seconds difference here.

dont even look at an i3 - if you want that route then get a amd A3850 as they spank the i3`s
    Stop spreading misinformation, seriously. The i3 2100 is one of the best CPUs on the market to date for a strict budget build in the $500-600 area. It is a very potent gaming CPU for it's price and there are few AMD processors in the same price range that can compete with it.

Edit: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeMerkin View Post
    Yeah i agree about that 6970 under 200 bucks, hopefully OP can link to that
    Yeah..I was wrong about the price. It was a different card.

Did find a 6770 for 180.00 though

As someone else pointed out, you really don't need that soundcard (especially not for $100). Any motherboard you get nowadays will come with a 7.1 surround sound capable chip onboard that will be more than adequate for a budget set up. Hell, I probably wouldn't even buy a soundcard for a dedicated gaming system at this point. Pretty much the only reason I'd get one is if I was doing professional-quality audio recording/authoring or had my computer hooked to a really fancy home theater. Take that $100 and use it elsewhere, friend!

stop being an intel fangirl - and go read the reviews anadtech is stunned of how good the llano A3850 actually is especially for its price , let alone the onchip apu, and you forget the huge sandy bridge HD playback failure.

as for the OP and GFX card choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133380

cant go wrong with that - a 560Ti for under $200