Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need laptop buying help (again)

For what do you need it? Because for gaming all 4 are kinda crap. Good cpu but a gpu which is complete useless.

Wow yes but something that is more demanding (looking at crysis 2) is a no go even at the lowest possible settings
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur View Post
    For what do you need it? Because for gaming all 4 are kinda crap. Good cpu but a gpu which is complete useless.

Wow yes but something that is more demanding (looking at crysis 2) is a no go even at the lowest possible settings
    sorry I should have been more clear.

I need it for WoW, tf2 and diablo 3. And for school I need it for web software and animation shit. The acer and HP are the two I am thinking of.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 12:27 AM ----------

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchR...Category=20352

This is my pile of choices here...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clickhack View Post
    Given that you have the gift card, I would personally go with the Acer. It's the best bang-for-the-buck that I can see. The i7 is overkill, and the A8 the HP has--while a good value--is likely going to present a bottleneck, particularly for WoW.

And, off topic a bit, saying that "they're crap for gaming" is going a bit too far. Sure, for the money a desktop is going to provide more power, but all three are going to generate more than decent FPS in most games, even newer ones if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of graphical quality. The beauty of PC gaming is in its ability to scale.
    Last edited by insmek; 2011-08-29 at 12:59 AM.

None of those are good for that price range.
    Either of these are much much better:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834230096
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834152264
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    None of those are good for that price range.
    Either of these are much much better:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834230096
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834152264
    why can't bestbuy sell decent shit.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 02:16 AM ----------

the screen for acer seems awesome. The problem is also the 1tb, someone said it slows down the computer. and is the graphics integrated?

Because Best Buy is designed to sell to the average human. Not gamers or whatnot.

... Wait, let me fix that, Worst Buy.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

why can't bestbuy sell decent shit.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 02:16 AM ----------

the screen for acer seems awesome. The problem is also the 1tb, someone said it slows down the computer. and is the graphics integrated?

The 1tb will not slow you down, though the HDD is only 5400 rpm (average slow laptop drive). You will notice it ONLY starting programs and on boot.
    Also, it has a discrete card, a GT 540M.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

So you're saying the acer is good I just need a better graphics card for it in the future?

also, might sound stupid, but laptop and desktop graphic cards are different right?

Yes, desktop and laptop cards are quite different.

Discrete > Integrated. The 540M is the best card you will get sub 750$. Once you get to about $1000 you start seeing other better cards.

PCPartPicker Love it.

lol, I am looking at the mac laptops is the best buy flyer.... 13.3", 4gb, intel HD grafixz, 2.3ghz i5 $1300

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur View Post

The gpu seems fine on crysis 2 however, the guy in that video has a quad core.
    OP, http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...56bfb5216fen02 Looks like it'd be fine for the games you listed.
    I'm still using my Xps m1530 with a 2.0ghz dualcore and 8600m gt and play those games fine.

excellent, I've made up my mind. thanks for all the help guys.

What did u choose?

PCPartPicker Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    What did u choose?
    la acer... like the one guy said it can handle the games I want to play, also you said an upgraded graphics card would make it greatisher.

la acer... like the one guy said it can handle the games I want to play, also you said an upgraded graphics card would make it greatisher.
    You can't upgrade graphics cards in laptops just fyi...
    The acer has a 6650 which isn't so bad... but it won't compare to a decent desktop, and you can't upgrade it later so it's only going to get worse in the future =\
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

^ what he said, cannot upgrade laptop graphics cards, so you're stuck with whatever they put in it. So if you want to at least try improving longevity, might not hurt to save up or spend otherwise on one with a good one.

but the one guy said it is discrete, as in not integrated... couldn't i get a new one for it?

but the one guy said it is discrete, as in not integrated... couldn't i get a new one for it?
    Doesn't matter, 99% of the time discrete cards are soldered right to the motherboard.

Discrete just means it's not something integrated based on the motherboard, doesn't mean it's swappable. Well, they ARE swappable, but you better be REALLY good with a soldering iron. Plus not cheap and hard to find. Higher end laptops, like my gaming laptop, sometimes have MXM slots, which let you swap them out easily, but it's hard to get new ones, and they're not cheap.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2