162 46.02%
  • Dont Know

33 9.38%
  • Dont Care

82 23.30%
Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Will DOTA 2 kill LoL and HoN

We always see the hundreds of "X game will kill WoW" on the forums so i thought id do a little topic change. Do you think the New DOTA 2 being designed by Valve will kill LoL and HoN.

For those that dont know DOTA = Defence of the Ancients and was an old Warcraft 3 mod that became popular. LoL = League of Legends and HoN = Heroes of Newerth (or somtihng like that) and they are both spin offs of the original DOTA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have little to no idea, to be honest. DotA was, admittedly, 'the original', but LoL and HoN are also both good games in their own right. I guess this gonna be the DotA version of "Will Torchlight 2 or Diablo 3 win?" =P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

I don't think so, LoL/HoN is F2p and that's going to be almost impossible to beat considering... it's F2P.

Also, I have no clue if Dota2 is going to be F2P or P2P, but I will probably just stay to LoL/HoN because I already know all the champions and how to counter them etc..
    i have no signature, because carrots.

Deleted
    Yeah, I'd agree with Cal. Even though LoL and especially HoN will see drops in numbers, they are both different enough (LoL moreso, IMO) to keep going with a healthy population. I know that I'll be playing both.

Kill.... no.

Seriously maim them both in the early months due to nostalgia... probably.

People will either switch to DotA2 and come back as they find things they don't like or stay with it.
    Daenerýs

“It's fear of the unknown. The unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurrying around chasing dreams, illusions, wars, peace, love, hate, all that--it's all illusion. Unknown is what it is. Accept that it's unknown and it's plain sailing. Everything is unknown--then you're ahead of the game. That's what it is. Right?” - John Lennon

I feel like a lot of kids who play HoN will migrate to dota 2, but a lot of the LoL base will stay there. HoN will be left with nothing but rage quitting screaming kids, and will get the most hurt by it.

I hope so, I mean...it's the ORIGINAL, the REAL thing, but if it isn't free there will be people that don't switch.

I played DotA way before LoL was even a thought, and I was pretty damn good at it. People in my guild convinced me to play LoL after they had played it for a bit and I was immediately better than them. There were some things I liked about LoL, like how it suggests items to make it easier for new players to be better, but the lack of denying bugged me a bit. I didn't end up playing LoL for long, I always wished I had been playing DotA instead.

Hmmmm interesting hadnt thought of those types of things. Still interesting to find out what people think.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, but it will deal a significant blow to them

DotA will destroy HoN. I play HoN a lot, and Dota2 is really just a better version. I really don't like LoL but it has enough of a fan base at the casualness of the game and the tanky dps that the fanboys will stick with it even though they shouldn't

No. LoL will still stay as the most competitive "RTS" game. HoN is dying little by little anyway. DotA2 will be good tho. ;3

Fanboys gonna fanboy, but DotA2 got nothing compared to LoL.

Drop-in drop-out("casuals") players most likely won't make the switch unless their friends do, mostly because they're invested in the game in terms of skins(maybe) and champions.

Meta-game players will most likely move to DotA2.

People who love the game but never make that push into high elo yet follow the meta game will most likely move to where the meta game goes, so I see them moving.

But hey, there's no reason they can't play both considering LoL/HoN are F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaer View Post
    But hey, there's no reason they can't play both considering LoL/HoN are F2P.
    I just dont see why they would considering all 3 games are so similar

But thats just me i guess

Deleted
    most likely all old school dota players will just switch w/o even thinking. these who started at lol will be having harder time to switch but still i belive dota will win over all population

HoN will take a hit.

LoL is pretty much a different game, but surely anyone who is into either will be giving dota2 a try.

If nothing more it will motivate all three to be better through competition, something that WoW is sorely lacking.
    I'm afraid we have a slight apocalypse on our hands

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzakid2093 View Post
    DotA will destroy HoN. I play HoN a lot, and Dota2 is really just a better version. I really don't like LoL but it has enough of a fan base at the casualness of the game and the tanky dps that the fanboys will stick with it even though they shouldn't
    They shouldn't? You say that as if you know whats better for the person to play better than they do.

On topic, LoL will have a few players drop for a while but its free so you really cant beat that, HoN i haven't played so i cant comment on that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazzer View Post
    I just dont see why they would considering all 3 games are so similar

But thats just me i guess
    Playing with friends is more fun than solo queuing, I'm sure once DotA2 comes out there'll be somewhat of a split for most people, some will stick with their current game, some will move completely to DotA2, much like myself, I'll most likely end up playing a bit of both because of friends.

the reason people still play wow will apply to this.

I have to much time invested in LOL with runes and characters and what not. Also, I dont think dota looks that fun with diversity and backgrounds.

So personally, unless they do something I havn't seen yet, I will not be getting DOTA.

Why can't we end the "will X game can has kill Y game?" and progress our thinking to.... Maybe..... Two or more games can exist AT THE SAME TIME while simultaneously maintaining a thriving community? There is no need for one game to dominate the other, that is an archaic way of thinking. Fo realz.

10+ Year Old Account
    HoN sure, since HoN was just an old dota map with updated graphics
    LoL no, it may cause small numbers to leave but while LoL is same game type as dota, it has very different play style (only axe has taunt, 5sec stuns don't exist in lol, a very annoying stealth system that any hero can buy item and stealth away-in, etc)
    I played dota 5years, it is fun, but after I played LoL I learned how bad is dota balance, as TB said at least in LoL caster heroes are still useful after 10min in game (before you say "destroyer" he is one of very few intelligence heroes who actually scale with game)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power