Pally tanks and threat

Are there any problems with Pally tanks and threat generation? Over the last few days I have twice run into threat problems where I pulled threat from a tank and on both occasions, it was a pally tank. I thought that threat should not be an issue after the most recent changes. Is there a general issue or was I just unlucky with tanks?

You must have been just very unlucky with tanks.

And i feel sorry for a tank that does not manage to keep threat anymore.

No, exorcism + avenger's shield then auto attack should keep threat for just about any paladin tank. Don't know what was going on there.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can still pull threat if you hit a mob before the tank, e.g. due to unlucky parry/dodge/miss streaks, but after the first few seconds of a fight any tank should be fine now unless of course said player is tanking by bashing his face into the keys.

Threat shouln't be a problem, but to be safe just go by the old "3 sunder" rule and just wait for an extra 5 seconds before attacking. Omen or whatever threatmeter you have is your friend too, if you're getting close to the tank then just stop attacking for a sec. Threat really should not be an issue in most cases; however, there can be some situations where right after the initial pull where hte tank maybe alittle lower than they should if they get a string of misses.

Like others have said, I think you've just been encountering bad Paladin tanks, since the threat hotfix, any threat problems that I had (which were very few) have been completely nonexistent.

Deleted
    No excuse for any tank to lose threat with the recent buff, Paladin's no exception. Just wasn't your day bro.

Maybe he had forgotten to turn on Righteous Fury

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Are there any problems with Pally tanks and threat generation? Over the last few days I have twice run into threat problems where I pulled threat from a tank and on both occasions, it was a pally tank. I thought that threat should not be an issue after the most recent changes. Is there a general issue or was I just unlucky with tanks?
    With the threat buff these days, there are really only three ways that can happen:

- You are using a threat-generating stance/presence/ability
    - The tank is not using their threat generating stance/presence, or abilities
    - You are attacking a mob that the tank is not attacking

I'd watch next time and see what happens. If you're not using something like Omen, I'd try it. That can tell you the general amount of threat he's outputting and give you an indication if the issue is on his end, or yours.

Quote Originally Posted by KamiKapse View Post
    Maybe he had forgotten to turn on Righteous Fury

This ^^^ tell him to turn it on

10+ Year Old Account
    If a dps is going all out and the tank gets a string of misses it is fully possible to pull threat even from the best tank in the world. There is no excuse to give the tank guaranteed adequate time to get initial threat and then you can go all out.

A paladin shouldn't have too many problems from the pull because if you're using Exo/Avenger's shield/Judge on the pull you should have an easy 50-100k threat before the boss even touches you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    You can still pull threat if you hit a mob before the tank, e.g. due to unlucky parry/dodge/miss streaks, but after the first few seconds of a fight any tank should be fine now unless of course said player is tanking by bashing his face into the keys.
    Was P1 in Shannox for the first one. Gave him 30 seconds to get enough threat. Second one was P3 of Shannox.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'd watch next time and see what happens. If you're not using something like Omen, I'd try it. That can tell you the general amount of threat he's outputting and give you an indication if the issue is on his end, or yours.
    I disabled omen after the last set of threat changes. Going to turn it back on.

If you keep having trouble with threat like that with him then just have the tank make a hand of salv macro so he can just chain that on you whenever its up. he can also always put a BoP on you too to buy some time to gain the treat back. :P

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as someone that frequently dpses and usually tanks, pally tanks seem to have the worst threat in the game right now, but it only becomes a very negligible issue for tank swapping. DPS should never pull threat off any tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've certainly had no trouble holding threat on my tankadin, especially after the patch. Infact it feels too easy now :S Perhaps it's beginner tanks who are trying to get the hang of things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Troll Druids turned into walking cannabis plants.

When misses, parries and dodge stay away it´s not hard to pull 90-110k tps for the first few rotations, but throw in a
    few miss and parries on SotR and crusader strike from the start and you swear for each time the shield miss, it´s not often
    but happens, luckily we no longer loose the Sacred Duty on a failed SotR, like we used to in WotLK.

Deleted
    30 seconds after a pull the tank suddenly "loses" all tricks of the trade and misdirect threat.

on shannox there is no way to prevent this by taunt swaping it. jsut be careful.

Im having some problems with agro in troll 5man heroics. Im not a raider nor a pvper with this toon. Can you tell me what should i change, coz def i have agro problems. I use all paladins buffs, RF, Consecration, Holy Wrath, Inquisition etc... and still some dk, or ret or a mage will die from the group that im tanking. I also use food with hit+stamina and TauntMaster as an addon. Btw, i dont have threat problems with bosses and BH raid.
    This is my pala tank: >> eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darksorrow/Necromancia/ <<
    Please any advice for an addon or anything. ty
    Last edited by Lihnida; 2011-09-01 at 02:26 AM.