Deleted

what's an easy way to record and edit video game footage?

so i've just preorder TOR, and i was planning on starting immediately as a "let's play". so i would record my playthrough from level 1, all the way to level 50, and upload it to a separate youtube channel. however, i don't want to spend money on professional recording software, nor do i want to pirate software (i've always been opposed to pirated software and multimedia). so what could i use for this?

Well fraps trial is infinitely free but you only get to record 30 second bursts so that would end up being a pain. I know you said you don't want to spend money on software so I can only suggest an alternative.

As it happens, there is a free open sourced program called Taksi that is supposed to be like Fraps. I can't say good or bad things about it because I use the full version of Fraps I paid for (which I my recommendation to you in the end) and never actually gave Taksi a spin.

So, if I ignore your restrictions I would just say buy and use Fraps. But if you want to bust the whole thing out for free, use Taksi and Windows Movie Maker but don't expect the best quality possible in the recording or the edits. Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you get the software to record, you can use Virtualdub to compress it with Divx and such.

Diggety made a nice guide to using it, it's simple too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBXhg...7&feature=plpp

The video quality it puts out is damn near perfect.(Ignore sound issues, those are due to hardware =\)

Fraps and windows movie maker. Quality can suffer sometimes, should look into encoding to sort that out.

xfire works too.

use sony vegas to edit

Deleted
    i just considered something else.

2 questions: 1) is twitch.tv free? 2) can you broadcast to youtube from it?

if both are yes, that's also a possibility. it can also allow for some extra income from ads (loading screens, taxis, that stuff).