Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Affliction: HM Rhyolith25, SoC vs. UA

After poking around on world of logs, a lot of the warlocks have had UA as their dmg dmg dealer, some locks had seeds as their highest dmg. My guild is trying to down heroic rhyloith on 25man and we are close to beating him, we are trying to get every point of dps we can get.

Is taking the time to cast UA (in addition to Soulburn seed) on 5-10 fragments cause more dmg and is a better way to kill them other than spamming seed of corruption?

In the fight I'm spamming SoC on the fragments while trying to keep dots on his legs and killing sparks whenever it is up. Is there anything special I need to do to spread UA or is it pretty much tab targetting?

Here's my armory and some wipe-a-thons:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Gienah/simple
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/bwcvq1kyviw5towm/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/kcqqq5vllt3aofol/

Tips and help much appreciated.
    Last edited by psr1620; 2011-08-30 at 06:10 PM. Reason: logs and armory

Just from my guilds perspective and perhaps others as well since the adds die really fast but our affliction lock only puts 1 soulburn SoC on the adds and then multidots the legs and the spark which might be why some locks top damage is UA and not SoC

I prefer the soulburn soc and dot up manually. Mainly because those fuckers are always running around and sometimes not even stacked together properly for soc blasts.

Really, it depends what needs dpsing.. Affliction isnt that great on fragments as they go down pretty fast - demo locks and SPs can take care of those easy. I doubt your guild has such low dps that dots will actually run their duration on them. Soulburn if possible and SoC spam is the way to dps them in any case, with affli.

Affliction is best used for both legs and spark, plus shines in p2.

So in short, topping the meter doesn't matter. If you wanna do that, multidot all the oozes.
    Last edited by Xenocastra; 2011-08-30 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on the aoe capacities of your group and the skills of your healers you should see whats best for you.
    If your healers are having problems with mana and the rest of the group has enough aoe, don't bother using soc.
    If your healers have no manaproblems at all and your group could use some extra aoe, go for soc.

Soc is a lot easier and results the best dps in aoeheavy groups. If your group is low on aoe, multidotting will high likely do more dps because your dots get enough time to deal enough damage.

In general, it really doesn't matter what you use anyway, as long as everything is dying fast enough, you are doing fine. As affliction you shouldn't bother to much with the adds anyway since there are plenty of classes who can deal way better with them then you.

You need to tell us what is wiping you before we can really help. I can tell you how to pad the meters (dotting oozes) but I get the impression that you want to help the team.

If fragments are an issue, SoC is the best way for you to kill them, they should die before UA gets 3 ticks. If the dps on them is as hard as it should be, it may not even be worth using Soulburn-SoC because 500k(IIRC) is nothing to a solid 4 man aoe team. Ideally you would have shadow priests, hunters and demo locks/moonkins taking care of them. So if you have a weak aoe dps setup, maybe spec demo for this boss? Hellfire spam + shadowflame glyph + felstorm makes for very effective add killing and control.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The wipes, for the most part, is blamed on low dps by us reaching... superheated i believe its called? The blame has circled around to the locks and I wanted to see how I could push more numbers. Sorry i did not include it before, but the aoe comp is ussually, 2 aff locks, 2 sps, 2 frost dks, and occasionally a hunter or 2 with an arcane mage.

Our closest attempt was 4%, then he stomped our faces to the ground. Splat.

Really, if spamming SoC is'nt whats wrong, than idk how to fix it, the officers are claiming we are underperforming and well.... how can you improve on spamming SoC?
    Last edited by psr1620; 2011-08-30 at 11:32 PM.

Personally, I sb:soc if it is up, tab-corr if it isn't, shadowflame, and otherwise ignore the fragments - I roll full dots on spark, and both legs at all times. Any remaining time is spent maintaining 3x SE on both legs, unless we are turning (when I give up on the off-leg SE stacks). The only fight I use non-soulburned soc on is h rag - but I suck at the seeds no matter what anyway

We never have issues with fragment dps though - we run 3-4 hunters, 3ish boomkins, 2 spriests, two demo locks, and myself as affi.

Sidenote, we lust and push the boss from 40-50%, regardless of how many stacks its on (as soon as we judge we can get it into next phase before losing lust) - and start ignoring sparks + fragments. Have never had problems with superheated once we changed to doing this, rather than lusting second phase.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2011-08-31 at 12:20 AM.

with Seed of Corruption you can use targetlasttarget macro on it without losing your current target then you only manually switch between current target leg and the spark. using UA is obviously more complicated.

Our fragments die so fast that UA isn't really viable, but otherwise I would just tab dot because there are so few.

Deleted
    You guys run two afflock, why not run 2x demos in there if dps pre superheated is the issue?

15+ Year Old Account
    ive also tried using Dotting and soulswop on legs then a Soulburn - soc on all adds and if the spark isnt up drop a reign of fire on top of it all as this
    doesnt remove the corruptions your Soulburn - soc spreads around.
    Once corruptions have ticked off and soulburn is on CD still i redot legs then spam soc till soulburn pops cd and i repeat it again.

Deleted
    really, replace that demo lock (1st log), he is doing nothing correctly. He should be pwning you two (afflis)

I can tell you how to pad the meters (dotting oozes) but I get the impression that you want to help the team.
    Theres no such thing as padding meters on this fight, especially if your wiping to superheated. Every mob needs to die, including the little oozes, multi dotting is king. Melee cleaving is less efficient then multi dotting.

oozes don't need to die... or at least you shouldn't waste time to dps them.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oozes dont need to die if you use the right strat.

Thanks guys for your input, we made the kill last night (finally).
    Dead after.... X amount of wipes (too many to bother counting).

I was doing some labbing between demo and affliction, it doesn't seem like affliction can even touch demo's dps for aoe'ing the frags...the weird thing though is if we're just talking about frags, and the whole immolate is effective(22 seconds), the priority is shadowflame>immolate>hellfire

I'm amazed at how much more dps immolate is than hellfire ><