Humming/clicking sound from computer

My computer keeps making a clicking/humming/whistling sound which can be really annoying. I'm pretty sure this is from the hard drive. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago. Is their any way to fix this?

sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9obzgmWrlM but louder.

I'll try to RMA it.
    Last edited by aisatsana; 2011-08-30 at 07:07 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    not that I know of my does this to, you get use to it =P

If you know that it is the hard drive and not a fan I would do a RMA on it since it is new. Just contact the company and get the request going, I know that Seagate and Western Digital will do an advanced exchange where they send you a new one and then you send the broken one back to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post
    My computer keeps making a clicking/humming/whistling sound which can be really annoying. I'm pretty sure this is from the hard drive. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago. Is their any way to fix this?
    Sign of HDD Going bad. google "Hard Drive Clicking" You should see if its under warranty and get a replacement.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's your mouse clicking and your fan humming

Seriously, though, Hard Drive problem I think.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could also be a fan but if you isolate the sound to your HD it could be on it's way out.

Judging by the information you gave its a strong possibility that it is the HDD, And yes there is indeed a fix for it. RMA

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The scratching noise you are hearing while the hard drive is operating is the swing arm that reads and writes the information to the disks. Nothing out of the ordinary, its when you hear a loud click that you should be worried.