Buying a new computer in 3 months

Yes, you've heard right. or read...

Currently i'm looking at this build from the Sweet Spot thread.
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W 79€
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68 UD-4 192€
    Processor: Intel i7 2600k 276€ /Intel i5 2500k 189€
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 71€
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB 69€
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache 1TB 83€
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner 22€
    Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6970 340€
    Total cost: 1045€
    Expect i'm going to change the i7 2600k to a i5 2500k one because I have heard that 2600k doesn't have any differences to the 2500k when talking about games. Haven't decided about the case though, available to any suggestions. (I do tend to go to lan parties a lot, about 8-10 times a year, so I like to be flashy when going to them so keep that in mind :3) I do have about 1000-1200€ to spend but I guess that doesn't matter since I have already listed my build

So what are your thoughts on it? Is it good?
    Last edited by Poppasan; 2011-08-31 at 06:01 PM.

Deleted
    in three months? it's hard to comment on a future build seeing as new tech is coming out within that period and prices should fall somewhat, but if you were to buy it right now, it looks solid and will run most, if not all, games perfectly.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Come back in three months and then ask us. New hardware is always around the corner, but I will say, that this build is a solid build at this moment. It could change within a few months.

Deleted
    Like others have said; a lot can happen in 3 months. Prices can drop, new tech can be released, etc. For example, both Bulldozer (new AMD CPUs) and Ivy Bridge (new Intel CPUs) will be released in approximately 3-5 months time. There is also rumors that we might see new Nvidia cards (kepler) around that time as well (early-mid 2012).

Like we told Djinni when he first came around here, we'll recommend you keep an eye on the market and buy when you need it rather than now.
    Unless you see some batshit crazy cheap parts.

Bulldozer is coming in 3 months and possibly Radeon HD7000. I don't know about the Bulldozer, but Radeon HD7000 will be significantly better than any of the older graphic cards.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-08-31 at 07:03 PM.

The HD 7000 and Geforce 600 series won't make to retailers this year. There should definitely be new processors to check out though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Like we told Djinni when he first came around here, we'll recommend you keep an eye on the market and buy when you need it rather than now.
    Unless you see some batshit crazy cheap parts.
    Was that before or after I totally disregarded any comments about not bothering to keep looking lol... And like this guy is gonna know who I am lol

But yeah, the "Sweet spot build" won't be so sweet in 3months time. Unlike when I was looking, new tech IS scheduled to be released over the next 3 months, so sure go ahead and plan your build, just don't get lazy and stick it in a notepad, thinking i'll buy those exact components in 3 months time. Keep checking around whatever website or store you plan to use and keep up with the prices, deals and promotions. You may be able to pick up things like SSD's, HDD's, Fans, Cases etc... on the cheap in a sale etc..

And am I to assume then that you plan to build in time for christmas? or just after it?

(As it happens the PC build I was planning got shelved at the last minute and I went for a laptop instead.... so keep an open mind.)

Oh... Well, going to make this again in 3 months then. Thanks <3