Thumbs up Super Comfy, Ideally Surround sound headsets.

Hey there,

I'm in the market for a new headset for around the $150-200. I've been using a G330(love behind the neck headbands) for the past 2 years and while its great it left a scar behind ma ears, I was forced to wrap it with cotton and it still has it wrapped. Long story short, I'm in the market for a, ideally 7.1 surround sound headset (yes I understand there arent many true surround sound headets if any and I'm ok with the virtualized surround sound with 2 40mm drivers). I want it to be extra comfortable to be wearing for 4+ hours of gaming marathon (raids usually) and preferrably light on weight (lighter than G35s). Sound quality is only second to comfort as I'm running with a built in sound card anyways. I bought a Razer Megalodon last week but returned it because the headphone on those didnt work with my PC (Sandybridge Asus p8z68 v pro mobo) and it kept on saying "failed to play testing tone" or something along the lines and razer support was CRAP so i returned it.
    Last edited by ShaanuJaanu; 2011-09-02 at 11:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Astro A40's

sound quality, not the greatest because they're open-ear so they don't trap in all the deep tones

If you buy the mixamp then you get 7.1 dolby surround sound.

I love astro support, they're always amazing and if you buy the headset through them they're good about replacing things and also very fast about it
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curently using the steelseries siberia v2, you might want to check these out.
    Been using them for almost a month and no issues so far!

if you want good sound get headphones, like Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.

Do you want 'gaming' headphones with a microphone or headphones that actually sound decent?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Do you want 'gaming' headphones with a microphone or headphones that actually sound decent?
    Don't think there's any real headphones that sound decent and have 7.1 surround sound. I'd rather have good sound quality than surround sound but the OP is asking for surround so I guess I won't recommend getting a Sennheiser this time.

I've been using the Logitech G930 and they're really comfy* as well as being wireless which is so incredibly awesome. It makes you free and moving from your bed to the computer or even going to the bathroom doesn't require you to take off the headset. I wear them all the time and I can start a playlist/pause/play next or even answer Skype calls when I'm using it downstairs. It's also one of them 7.1 surround sound headsets but I can't tell you much about it since I've never really used it (bought them because they are wireless and have buttons that can be programmed to do anything).

If you want sound quality go for a pair of Sennheiser headphones but otherwise consider getting the Logitech G930 because they can do things no other headset can (there's even a new wireless headset from Astro that doesn't have a volume control on the headset.... what the hell, why even make them wireless?) There's a wired version of the G930 called G35 but if you don't want a wireless headset then there's probably better headsets out there since the buttons doesn't really give you anything extra if you're already at your computer.

*People have different heads and thinks differently so while the G930 might be comfortable for me they might feel like shit on your head. The best thing would be if you could try out the headsets in a store or at your friends house.

You do not want surround headsets, you want good headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
    I'm curently using the steelseries siberia v2, you might want to check these out.
    Been using them for almost a month and no issues so far!
    I disagree. They are quite awful and not worth their money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkitozh View Post
    (there's even a new wireless headset from Astro that doesn't have a volume control on the headset.... what the hell, why even make them wireless?)
    Just FYI, the Wireless A40's are wireless and do have volume control, not sure where you're getting your information from. The mixamp is wireless so the transmitter sits on the desk and the mixamp comes with you so that you can adjust volume and voice/sound balance from where ever
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Surround sound in a headphone is a double negative, none of the so called 5.1 surround sound headphones I have tried (which is most of the big models on the market), sound anything near my 5.1 surround sound computer speakers.

SteelSeries 5Hv2 is my favorite, using 5H since 2004! ;D My 3rd headset (~2years lifespan). Check it out, it's not bad.

None of the 5.1 surrouns sound computer speakers I've tried sound as good for themoney as a good set of 2.1 does that ive tried.

With that said, I have 5.1 computer speakers and I wouldn't recommend surround headphones. Its a gmmicvk and spending your money on good sound is a better idea. Gaming on surrouns is a valid concern, but you will have to sacrifice either money or quality and forego headphones completely. And with all the hassle of setting up, I wouldn't bother.

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
    SteelSeries 5Hv2 is my favorite, using 5H since 2004! ;D My 3rd headset (~2years lifespan). Check it out, it's not bad.
    SteelSeries, while they make good and comfortable keyboards and fantastic pads can't really do good sound. My siberias are preeetty not good.

The Astro A40's do look good and comfy, but they are ~280 plus shipping to Canada...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by ShaanuJaanu View Post
    The Astro A40's do look good and comfy, but they are ~280 plus shipping to Canada...hmmm
    They're vastly inferior to a decent pair of cans in that price range

Sennheiser PC360 - Amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Just FYI, the Wireless A40's are wireless and do have volume control, not sure where you're getting your information from. The mixamp is wireless so the transmitter sits on the desk and the mixamp comes with you so that you can adjust volume and voice/sound balance from where ever
    You have to carry the mixamp with you whenever you want to leave the computer (well you can leave without it but then you won't be able to change the volume and even then you don't have the option to answer skype calls, start a playlist, pause/play, shut down your computer, etc.)

Edit: Feel free to correct me again if someone knows how to bind any of the keys on the mixamp to do more than just volume control but even if you can do that you'll still have to carry it with you. If the headset is newer than the G930, then why did they not improve?
    Last edited by mmocf3e8550591; 2011-09-01 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    SteelSeries, ...can't really do good sound. My siberias are preeetty not good.
    *shrug* I at least enjoy them, but in any case I always suggest trying it out first before you buy!

Out of curiosity, what music genre do you mostly listen too? And what is the problem with your sound? Just curious, maybe I could help.

Edit: when looking at the headphones suggested here, at their specs, I noticed that all really share almost the same specs. The speakers have 15-28kHz, 32-50Ohm, 110-112dB, microphone is at 50-16kHz, 2kOhm, -38dB sensitivity. My conclusion is that perhaps computer hardware has something to do with each persons experience, besides I think most here never tried all the different headsets to be able to say "X is better than Y because..." but anyway I am sure you'll find what you need, ShaanuJaanu. There has been many suggestions!
    Last edited by Vladinator; 2011-09-02 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
    *shrug* I at least enjoy them, but in any case I always suggest trying it out first before you buy!

Out of curiosity, what music genre do you mostly listen too? And what is the problem with your sound? Just curious, maybe I could help.

Edit: when looking at the headphones suggested here, at their specs, I noticed that all really share almost the same specs. The speakers have 15-28kHz, 32-50Ohm, 110-112dB, microphone is at 50-16kHz, 2kOhm, -38dB sensitivity. My conclusion is that perhaps computer hardware has something to do with each persons experience, besides I think most here never tried all the different headsets to be able to say "X is better than Y because..." but anyway I am sure you'll find what you need, ShaanuJaanu. There has been many suggestions!
    Once you go over a certain point, good sound is good sound.

When it comes to the different headphones suggested thus far, we can conclude that different sound is different sound, and you then get what suits you. A pair of phones with the same speccs can behave differently because of acoustics, cup-design, open/closed as well as a number of things people who've got more insight in this would be able to tell you. :P

well i returned my Razer Megalodon POSs for a Asus Xonar Essence STX, I'm learning towards the ASTRO A40s still, its getting some good reviews on the web.